Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
After all the things you've tried, I'd consider pushing for a warranty replacement at this stage.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You are sideloading the correct f/w file?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is sounding like you had the firmware update function properly, but encounter the problem when you try to establish your account with the Kobo servers. This is the process that initializes the database. And it is likely something in that is causing your problems.

There is a way to not have to connect to the kobo servers to make your device work;

Anyway, in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");Example for FW 2.5.0:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false")

I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tshering

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Once you have done the firmware update connect to your PC and open the above program and make the changes to your \.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite file. [For my AuraHD I just cut and paste the second code example into the "Execute SQL" "SQL string" box.

Then when you safely eject and disconnect your USB cable, your kobo should be functional without having to do any more setup.

Keep a copy of the "zeroed out" KoboReader.sqlite file, in case you run into database corruption, in the future.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@Ken
You have given me an idea. I will copy my backed up database to my Aura HD. This has helped with other issues and can't think why I haven't done it. Perhaps tomorrow if I can keep my paws of my darling new T3 for a bit

@rostyvyg
I would take it back. I am pretty sure it is a firmware thing, but most don't seem to have it. So probably a new one wouldn't. I am not sure I can actually take mine back as it is 8 months old and only does this with 3.0. I did downgrade to (sideload) 2.8.1, no problem, sideloaded to 2.10, no problem, sideload 3.0.0 big problem. SAme story all over again.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why not try setting up a new Kobo account and try registering with that.

If it works then it should be possible to work with support to track down the issue.

Also maybe avoid the aideload f/w at first and see if that helps.
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I routinely backup the entire KoboReader drive (\mnt\onboard). It is a quick and easy step after any major change. I made a "Current Kobo partition" folder on a data drive for it.

It also makes it easy to check out the scripts, without having to connect up my reader.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I routinely backup the entire KoboReader drive (\mnt\onboard). It is a quick and easy step after any major change. I made a "Current Kobo partition" folder on a data drive for it.

Luck;
Ken
I back up before synching ( I almost never sync) and before installing updates. File copy and disk image. Then I backup my backup to an external drive. I have device,date, name, reason in the folder name. Only had to use it after a sync, but maybe it will help after a sideload.

I should just factory reset and sideload 2.8.1 or 2.9 but a weird masochistic part of me wants to see what will happen next. Oh well, one of these days.

Helen
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #23
rostyvyg
rostyvyg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This makes me think there is a problem with the internal SD card. When it was connected to the Mac, did you copy any files to the drive? Another test would be to do the factory reset, connect to the PC but not start the Kobo desktop. Then see what happens if you copy a few files to the drive. If that fails, then I think it is the internal card.
I did not copy any files to the internal SD card while connected to the Mac. But in order to sideload new firmware I was copying the appropriate files to internal SD card after factory resets when internal SD card was visible from the PC. I also copied the fonts when it was visible and can access the new fonts.
rostyvyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostyvyg View Post
I did not copy any files to the internal SD card while connected to the Mac. But in order to sideload new firmware I was copying the appropriate files to internal SD card after factory resets when internal SD card was visible from the PC. I also copied the fonts when it was visible and can access the new fonts.
Yes, you did say all that. I was concentrating on what happened with the Kobo desktop and forgot about the rest.

As a last desperate attempt to get it working, I would do the factory reset and try what Ken suggested to add the dummy user. Then see if everything works and Windows will still talk to it on that factory installed firmware. Then upgrade manually to 2.8.1 and test again. The alternative is to use the Mac to do the setup so that it uses your account. If you do that, you can also delete the firmware update files to prevent the upgrade and see what happens when you go to Windows.

Otherwise, take it back as faulty.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
rostyvyg

FINALLY SUCCESS! Thanks to the earlier suggestion I did a factory reset, then connected Kobo Aura HD to my PC, then using SQLLite Database Browser program I deleted the only entry the "users" table had after restore and issued the INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false") statement which created a "fake" user. Then I sideloaded FW 3.0.0, then after upgrade was finished I powered ereader down, inserted the microSD card and powered it up. After it read all books from the microSD card and came to the home screen I connected it to my PC and now Kobo is visible in Windows Explorer and Calibre can read Kobo database, export books, etc. But the whole experience of making the new Kobo Aura HD work as desired was not for the faint of heart. I dread to think what an average user would do. It took me, an IT professional with 25 years of experience, 3 days to make the damn thing work. And at the end I will not be able to purchase any books from Kobo (although I could care less - their loss).
Old 11-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Actually, you can purchase .epub ebooks, without DRM, from anyone that sells them. You can purchase epubs with DRM and remove the DRM then read them on your AuraHD.
Just not by WiFi through an account associated with your device, on your Kobo.

And - You can add alternative readers to your AuraHD and buy and read many formats including epubs. (Like I do.) Since both of the alternatives can read from "hidden folders", you can avoid the processing of a large ebook library, by the Kobo software. If the Kobo software is not managing all your books in its database, there are fewer chances that the database will become corrupted.

The AuraHD is like a great monitor and video card combination in a well powered PC setup. You are getting the best image quality, but maybe some of the rest of the PC is not so hot. Now for ereading the image of the page is the most important thing, IMHO.
The rest can be improved/fixed with new firmware and/or software, also other alternatives are both available and being developed, all the time. There are even some working to have the hardware run under Android and other Linux OS.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-21-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I think calling this resolved is stretching it. You have worked around the issue by skipping the registration but the underlying issue is still there.

This is the same as the claim that Kobo Patcher solves the paragraph being split over two pages. The issue is still there just crippled by a brute force means.

I would still like to have seen what happened with a new Kobo I'd.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #28
rostyvyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The AuraHD is like a great monitor and video card combination in a well powered PC setup. You are getting the best image quality, but maybe some of the rest of the PC is not so hot. Now for ereading the image of the page is the most important thing, IMHO.
The rest can be improved/fixed with new firmware and/or software, also other alternatives are both available and being developed, all the time. There are even some working to have the hardware run under Android and other Linux OS.

Luck;
Ken
If only I could run Android on Kobo HD in combination with Moon+ Reader Pro (which I use on all other tablets) I would be happy as a clam... But at this point I am fine with sideloading epubs I already have (over 4000 titles) and reading them using native Kobo reader. If only they had an option to see the list of authors then drill down to series and then to individual books. But I guess, they don't care too much about our convenience in this regard.

Cheers...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Both the alternative reading programs are using Coolreader 3 to render .epub files. Koreader also has improved .pdf, .djvu, .cbz rendering. I keep 7 to 8 thousand ebooks on my AuraHD in a file folder structure that lets me drill down from type (Action, Fantasy, Mystery, Politics, SciFi, ect...) to subtype to Author, series, book. But I don't have any reading statistics, awards, or social media connections. Not things I want included in My ereader. Both are fully functional (For Mark4 devices, like the AuraHD, but not yet for the new Mark 5 Aura) but being improved all the time.

Luck;
Ken

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226456

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-21-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostyvyg View Post
But the whole experience of making the new Kobo Aura HD work as desired was not for the faint of heart. I dread to think what an average user would do.
Think of it as a game. Creep forward an inch or so at a time for a bit and suddenly
you are eaten by the Grue.

Helen