Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #31
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
I just did the ssh key thing and it works.. Now it connects immediatly. very well written@knc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
just press HOME IIRC
lol I still have no clue. What to hit/type to end kvncviewer. maybe it works after 1) ...
After th connections breaks done, iam back to the terminal and after leaving it it freezes on homescreen .... argh i have to do the 30sec reboot after this.. sucks ^^

2 things have to be done by me:

1) integrate kvncviewer into launchpad or KUAL....
2) fix the connection problem... but hawhill did it .. so its possible...
hawhill, if you have time to type a few lines , it would be very cool. (Iam going to drive to Göttingen with a Kasten Bier , when we did it :P)

good night

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 04-14-2013 at 06:01 PM.
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I just had an idea:

Would it be better to use WiFi instead of USB? - for example on battery scuffing?
Would that lead to a harder configuration concerning this tunneling?
Hmm
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #33
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's a bit complicated with the naming. The Kindle is the SSH host (or "server"), the PC is the SSH client.

However, for VNC, it's the other way around in our scenario. So the PC is the "VNC server", the Kindle is the Client.

When you use VNC over the USB networking link directly, parts of the Kindle software will kill the connection under some circumstances in regular intervals. I don't know if it's different via Wifi, but I doubt it - actually I think that this "feature" had only Wifi (and WAN for relevant devices) connections in mind and applies to the USB connection due to not being explicitly disabled there.

The connection dropping does not affect SSH connections. This opens a loophole: SSH has a "forwarding" feature. It can create tunnels for TCP connections (which is the protocol that VNC uses). The important thing is: It can open these tunnels for both directions (independent of the "direction" of the SSH connection). (NB: In fact, all connections mentioned are bi-directional. They just differ in which side initiates them.)

I will need a bit of time to properly describe how it fits together in layman terms. But actually there are description of the general workings on the web. Just google for "ssh forward vnc connection". It's a typical use case for VNC because VNC has no strong authentification/encryption, so when VNC is used over the web, SSH tunneling to the VNC server is often used. In our case, we would just create the tunnel in the different direction (or open the SSH connection in the different direction, depending on how you see it).

Actually, opening the SSH tunnel could also be used to start the VNC client on the Kindle - and both things could then be triggered by the host PC in one go.

But a fair warning: It's a bit complicated and I won't find enough time soon to write it all down. Maybe it gives the right ideas for others to come up with more practical advise or scripts.

Last edited by hawhill; 04-15-2013 at 06:01 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #34
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

thx!

in the ubuntu docs i found something maybe relevant:

"

Remote Port Forwarding

Remote port forwarding lets you connect from the remote SSH server to another server. To use remote port forwarding, you need to know your destination server, and two port numbers. You should already know your destination server, and for basic uses of port forwarding, you can usually use the port numbers in Wikipedia's list of TCP and UDP port numbers.

For example, say you wanted to let a friend access your remote desktop, using the command-line SSH client. You would use port number 5900 (the first VNC port), and destination server localhost:

ssh -R 5900:localhost:5900 guest@joes-pc

The -R option specifies remote port forwarding. For the duration of the SSH session, Joe would be able to access your desktop by connecting a VNC client to port 5900 on his computer (if you had set up a shared desktop).

"

applied to our task it would be "-R5901:localhost:5901" I think. The -R Option is the key. got it...

But what to do with "guest@joes-pc" hmmm.. and how to change the vncviewer configuration... they write "on his server"... hmm
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #35
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

After
ssh -R 5901:localhost:5901 root@ken1

I get

[root@kindle etc]# /mnt/us/kindleviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password aaaaaaaa root@192.168.15.201:1
15/04/2013 21:52:13 Couldn't convert 'root@192.168.15.201' to host address

hmmm
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #36
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie4msg View Post
After
ssh -R 5901:localhost:5901 root@ken1

I get

[root@kindle etc]# /mnt/us/kindleviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password aaaaaaaa root@192.168.15.201:1
15/04/2013 21:52:13 Couldn't convert 'root@192.168.15.201' to host address

hmmm
who is ken1?
where did you define it?
is that from my ssh write-up here ?
(I used the nickname ken1 in that how-to thread).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

yes i did the same as you when things didnt matter...
hope thats ok ..
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

using the IP has the same results
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
yes i did the same as you when things didnt matter...
hope thats ok ..
so check how it is described in the config file that causes that message to be generated.
also check the config file line endings.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #40
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

i googled something else

"
1st Way:

Do the thing with the router that giga said. (What you really wanna do is reserve a ip for the mac address of the NIC on your server. You can figure out it's NIC by typing 'ifconfig'. Its the number in the form of xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx next to HWAddr. Most routers allow this, and it sounds like you have this set up).

Next, go to your ~/.ssh folder, and use your text editor to change/create a file named config (full path should be ~/.ssh/config ). Make/add an entry in this form:

host MusicBox
Hostname <ip address>
User <your username>

After that, create an ssh tunnel to your musicbox,by using this command:

ssh - N -L 5900:localhost:5900 MusicBox

and then in a seperate terminal:

vncviewer localhost:0"

maybe i can apply this... i dint changed that file ...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

lol

I used openssh instead of dropbear by changing the usbnetwork config, and now i RSA
"
host key for ken1 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed
"

I should stop till tomorrow
Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #42
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
lol

I used openssh instead of dropbear by changing the usbnetwork config, and now i RSA
"
host key for ken1 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed
"

I should stop till tomorrow
Not necessarily.
Just delete the offending line in ~/.ssh/known_hosts (or delete the file altogether)

PS: Schöne Grüße an die FSU!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #43
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

thats the result

debug1: Trying private key: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_ecdsa

here it took a minute

debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
debug3: remaining preferred: password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug2: userauth_kbdint
debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred:
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
root@ken1's password:
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 49 padlen 15 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
Permission denied, please try again.
root@ken1's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@ken1's password:
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

maybe its easier to start from scratch with the above method and new keys
Is hat a good idea? @ knc1. Can I use your walkthrough with openssh?

hmm i generated new keys but..

"
debug1: Roaming not allowed by server
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
debug2: key: fonzie@fonzie-desktop (0xb7fd68d0)
debug2: key: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_rsa ((nil))
debug2: key: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_dsa ((nil))
debug2: key: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_ecdsa ((nil))
"

and iam in the loop of asking for publickey
it took time again after
debug2: key: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_ecdsa ((nil))

i switched back to dropbear and the same problem as before.. taking its time after
key: /home/fonzie/.ssh/id_ecdsa ((nil))

until printing

debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version dropbear_2012.55
debug1: no match: dropbear_2012.55

at least the same spot as before.. good point to go to bed

P. S. Grüße zurück

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 04-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
thanks atordo for your idea good one. But I read that connecting a Keyboard to the kindle3/3g is the problem, isnt it?
Oh, now I get it You want a proper keyboard using the more eye friendly Kindle screen. Then VNC makes perfect sense.
atordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #45
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by atordo View Post
Oh, now I get it You want a proper keyboard using the more eye friendly Kindle screen. Then VNC makes perfect sense.
hehe

When i have a ssh tunneling its done ...

long way for a NonTechUser