Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
No sftrooting newer Nooks?

This is the message at NookDevs:
Quote:
2010-08-14 NEW: Barnes and Noble has likely introduced a new hardware revision which bricks your unit if you install their official 1.0.0 Firmware (A step needed to root). As of right now, Nooks with serial #s starting with 1003 (running firmware 1.4.1) cannot be rooted, and should NOT be attempted. See New_Hardware_Revision for more details
I just bought a new Nook for my friend and didn't know about this. I had my mom pick it up when she was in the States this weekend. So for new Nook buyers, do you think NookDevs will come up with another root for these newer nooks with the 1.4.1 firmware? Or do you think we will have to be stuck with the Nook the way it is. Has anybody here bricked their Nook?

She wanted her nook like mine so she could keep her books organized with tags. I probably would have just bought her a Kindle if I had known it couldn't be rooted.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
I'd just give it a little time. It's sure to be opened up sooner or later.
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

This one the serial number starts with 100272, so it's not the 1003 that is mentioned above, but I am scared to root it anyway just in case. I rooted mine with no problems, but now I am too chicken.

Last edited by Care; 08-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Its only if it starts with 1003 I believe, also it would say in the settings that its 1.4.1 instead of 1.4. Avoid softrooting if its either though.

You might have lucked out.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai

Yeah, it says it's 1.4.0, so maybe we got lucky. That is the same as mine so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Still it sucks for new Nook buyers. I feel bad because I've been telling everybody to buy one and root it. I'm sure they will hack this firmware as well at some point. I wish B&N would release a firmware that has a good option for organizing.
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
verily
verily began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I don't have any intentions of rooting mine (yet...I may reconsider in a month), but for those that are interested, Best Buy might be the way to go. I picked up a nook this weekend from them and all of the wifi nooks they had started with 1002. I would suspect that B&N will have the newer stock first before BB gets it.
verily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
All sign point to yes it seems, I bought my Nook recently, had the guy search for a non 1003 serial one, so yeah this was in bestbuy, I suggest it also. Ask them to do that in a B&N store and they may get angry.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote