Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #46
maxk
Enthusiast
maxk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
+1 on dictionary, highlight a word and hit enter to look the word up would be sweet.

I don't use a dictionary while reading since it would be too distracting, you can generally guess the meaning by the context, but with a digital device it should be easy and fast enough to look it up without losing concentration. It would certainly improve things when I've assumed a meaning before reading another 100 pages and realising the story is all wrong with that assumption

Now I mark a page on the Reader with the intention of getting the dictionary definition later, but I usually don't get around to it.
maxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #47
chaulis
chaulis began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've not viewed a PDF on the Reader, but if they're formatted as 8-1/2"x11" pages they probably won't look very good on a screen the size of the 505. If they're DRM'd PDF's they won't work on any reader that's currently available.
Would you mind terribly testing with a pdf that you have, or if you like I could send you one of the pdf's that I hope work on the device. It would be greatly appreciated.
chaulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaulis View Post
Would you mind terribly testing with a pdf that you have, or if you like I could send you one of the pdf's that I hope work on the device. It would be greatly appreciated.
I just tried a letter size PDF for a publication I'm putting together. Even in landscape mode it wasn't comfortable reading IMO. Now if the pages are sized more closely to the size of the Readers screen they'd probably look great. You can find all kinds of threads here on MR that talk about conversion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use pdflrf to edit the PDF so it is more viewable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #50
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Right in this thread you can see the challenges faced by a design team. Take the built-in dictionary function. Several of you said you could care less. My wife and I both would want it. Yes, I do carry a dictionary in my Palm TX. And I keep dictionaries next to both home and work PC's.

If you haven't come across a word you didn't recognize in weeks of reading you probably should elevate your choice of authors. More likely you assumed a meaning by context and couldn't be bothered to look it up. Which brings us back to the value of an instant look-up function.

Even though instant look-up does not require a keyboard, using word selection, I do believe a keyboard of some sort is necessary for all the 'missing' functions we'd like. Annotation is make-or-break deal for many people. If you don't need it I understand you really don't give a rat's butt about it.

Which brings us back to the compromise of device design. They must have a target consumer in mind. Did they hit the mark? Sony claimed sales exceeded expectations, right? So they hit their mark.

I'm hoping the Kindle lights a fire (ha, ha) under Sony to give us their NEXT design, targeting a wider audience.

On a side note to previous question in the thread, yes, I'd give up 30% of 7500 page turns to cut the turn time down. But more important, battery power density seems to be improving at around 20% per year. So a year from now we would not have to make that compromise. Or why not offer a scalable clock frequency (or voltage, me not understanding e-ink's driving factors) to the user today?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert