Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
myReader
myReader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
How to open two (or multiple) books and toggle them by a button?

It is nice to read two books at the same time, and toggle (swich) them for mutual reference by a single button. How can we do that? Thanks.
myReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

You cannot do that as far as I know. You can only open one book at a time.
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I don't know about the 950, but the 650 has the 3 latest books loaded on the home page. And there is a utility in this section to set those yourself (for the next books you will read).

If the 950 does the same, that would allow you to toggle between 3 books, with two button pushes (home and then select the book).
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Although not a 1-button solution, I use bookmarks for this on my 950. When I want to change books, I place a bookmark where I am in the book I am currently reading, press the Home button, tap the Notes icon (I believe Notes is the name; I don't have my 950 in front of me), and tap the book I want to switch to. It will open where I last bookmarked. (I then delete the current bookmark; I currently only use bookmarks to mark where I left off in a book.) Although it looks like a long process, it really is quick -- a couple of seconds.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I use a combination of your suggestions. I use bookmarks in the same manner that rhadin described. Also from the home screen, you could select Books > See All. I then have that Books list sorted by Latest Read. It makes the books you are currently reading at the top of the list. Lastly, I have been using goaspy's tool in the Sticky threads to make the 3 books on my home screen my "currently reading" books as Pinecone suggested.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107826
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I don't know about the 950, but the 650 has the 3 latest books loaded on the home page. And there is a utility in this section to set those yourself (for the next books you will read).

If the 950 does the same, that would allow you to toggle between 3 books, with two button pushes (home and then select the book).
The 950 also has this feature, but you are still opening only a single book at time. That feature merely allows you to close book A and then open book B. There is no way to have multiple books open at the same time.

The statement "books loaded on the home page" is not correct. The icons for the book covers are displayed on the Home page and they link to those books.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-23-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Also something like a combination of Pinecone's and Bookworm_Girl's method, I use the "russified" firmware which allows you to assign something like "menu up" to a key, so when I'm reading a book and press "home" for a few seconds, it takes me to the complete list of books, sorted by "last read".
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Tdub
Tdub began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
You don't have to bookmark pages of a book using the 950 merely to have the device open to the bookmarked page upon reopening the book - the 950 does this automatically.
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using bookmarks is not required to access current page, but it has advantages in the Notes application on the home page. I read multiple books at a time. I have Notes sorted so the bookmarks come first. I can click the Note icon on the home screen and from the bookmarks list have a quick visual reminder of where I am in all of my books. And, you can also switch between books quicker than other menu paths.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I sure love you people from this board...when I first saw the question, my immediate thought was "who said you can?" and never gave it a second thought (sorry myReader). But the replies above have taught me to approach things in a kinder and more constructive way. Of all the forums I frequent (both in Chinese and English), you guys are the best sort of people I've ever met!
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The people on this board certainly are creative at finding solutions! It's fun to read the different perspectives and learn how to approach a problem in a method that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.