Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2022, 12:08 AM   #1
kpoviv
kpoviv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is there a way to download all my .MOBI books from Amazon?

I've read on Reddit or this forum that Amazon now supports .epub on their devices and that books with .MOBI extensions may be removed.
I wanted to know if there is any possibility to download all my .MOBI book collections from amazon page or how could I copy those books by connecting my kindle to pc via usb?
I currently have more than 700 books in this format and well organized in collections.
kpoviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:16 AM   #2
tlwright
tlwright began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet; Kindle PW; Fire 10
If you have a PC, you can download the Kindle for PC app or go to the manage your content & devices page and mark them for download and transfer via USB one by one.

But all the books you've bought from Amazon will be in the KFX format. It supports all the fancy features MOBI cannot support. They aren't going to delete the books you paid for.

The EPUB support is for books you UPLOAD to the cloud, not books you buy.
tlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, the downloads to PC for USB transfer are never in KFX. They are mostly azw3/KF7. Some might be reflowable .mobi or azw (KF7). Some might be PDF wrapped in Amazon file or other non-reflowable.

On "Download to PC for USB transfer" you have to select a target Kindle device if you have more than one Kindle. Some files can't be downloaded for eink Kindles.

Amazon are not supporting epub on Kindle eink (currently, who knows about new models). They MIGHT support it on Fire and Kindle Apps and Kindle for PC. BUT what they are doing is using the long existing epub upload for KDP for Send to Kindle.

For years the best way to upload for publishing was uploading epub2. Then Amazon converted it to mobi/azw (KF7), azw3 (KF8) or KFX. They then delivered the appropriate format to Kindle. Newer Kindles, Apps and Kindle for PC mostly get KFX by direct internet, wifi or cellular. Download For PC is mostly azw3/KF8 for newer Kindles and mobi/azw/KF7 for ancient Kindles (older than KK3 and all DX models).

You should download all your ebooks anyway!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoviv View Post
I've read on Reddit or this forum that Amazon now supports .epub on their devices and that books with .MOBI extensions may be removed.
You are misinformed. There has been no announcement of a change to the formats actually supported on Kindle devices. Soon you will no longer be able to email MOBI format to a Kindle. You can instead email EPUBs and they will be converted by Amazon to a supported format (usually KF8) before being delivered to your Kindle.

Quote:
I currently have more than 700 books in this format and well organized in collections.
I assume that these 700 books are your own documents either sideloaded via USB of emailed to your Kindle. If so there is nothing you need to do. Amazon has stated that any MOBI format books you send before the cutoff will remain available.

Here is a quote from them: "Note: Beginning in late 2022, you'll no longer be able to send MOBI (.AZW, .MOBI) files to your library using Send to Kindle. This change won't affect any MOBI files already in your Kindle library."
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I wanted to know if there is any possibility to download all my .MOBI book collections from amazon page or how could I copy those books by connecting my kindle to pc via usb?
Whoever posted that on Reddit is full of crap. That us just so very wrong.

Any Mobi eBooks on your Kindle will stay. Amaon is not supporting ePub natively. What Amazon is doing is stopping supporting Mobi for Send to Kindle (email to Amazon and download with your Kindle). They are only accepting ePub that will be converted to KF8 or Mobi depending on the Kindle you have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:36 AM   #6
hnliuzesen
hnliuzesen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I suggest you to try Kindle_download_Helper.
https://github.com/yihong0618/Kindle_download_helper
It has two ways to download your ebooks and personal docs, GUI and command line.
hnliuzesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:58 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnliuzesen View Post
I suggest you to try Kindle_download_Helper.
https://github.com/yihong0618/Kindle_download_helper
It has two ways to download your ebooks and personal docs, GUI and command line.
Does this still work given how Amazon has change the UI for downloading eBooks?
Old 07-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even 200 books doesn't take long to do manually on Web Browser. I suppose 4000 might take two or three weeks.

How many can you read in a week or a year?
Old 07-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Even 200 books doesn't take long to do manually on Web Browser. I suppose 4000 might take two or three weeks.

How many can you read in a week or a year?
Well said.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:43 AM   #10
hnliuzesen
hnliuzesen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this still work given how Amazon has change the UI for downloading eBooks?
Yes, but some book can not download correct with special title.
I have downloaded most books successful yesterday.
hnliuzesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:05 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have 1161 books in my Kindle account. But I'm 99% sure they're all downloaded and safely in calibre.

If you haven't already downloaded your books and stored them DRM-free in calibre, I recommend doing so, if you have any intention of re-reading them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnliuzesen View Post
Yes, but some book can not download correct with special title.
I have downloaded most books successful yesterday.
You can rename the file before you click save.
The real title is in the metadata.
However I can't imagine Amazon using a filename that won't download.

Note that if the ebook (or fake ebook) is not a real ebook it may not be available for download to the kindle model you select. Some "books" can only be downloaded for a Kindle App or the Amazon Fire. There may even be some that only work online.

Tags
copy, epub, kindle, mobi