Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The only thing I had an issue with was the Droid's habit of dimming and brightening its screen after a short period of time... I haven't spent enough time on the Droid to find the override to that!
If you bring up the power widget on one of the home screens it lets you set brightness manually with just a tap. It's very handy. (It also lets you turn wifi, bluetooth, background updates, and GPS on and off as needed).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Thanks Lemurion. I had planned on picking up the HTC Droid (That's the flip out keyboard one right?) to replace my aging green envy
Right now, Verizon has 3 Android phones, the HTC Droid Eris, and Motorola's Droid and Devour. Only the Motorola phones have physical keyboards (they're both sliders).

If you're going Android on Verizon, the the thing to remember is that the Motorola Droid is the only one with a high-resolution screen. The other two both have 480x320 screens at about 3.2" dimensions.

I'm sure they work great as phones, but they won't be as good for reading. (Only the Nexus 1 has a similar screen resolution.)
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
If you bring up the power widget on one of the home screens it lets you set brightness manually with just a tap. It's very handy. (It also lets you turn wifi, bluetooth, background updates, and GPS on and off as needed).
Ah. Passed that on to my wife!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
My wife just picked up a Droid. Although she doesn't plan on doing any e-book reading on it... and I'm refraining from playing with it, not being my phone ... maybe I'll download Aldiko or eReader and see how it looks.
I'm the techi in the house so I get to device what gadgets I get my wife... and I usually end up configure the stuff for her.

I bought here the Droid Eris, thinking to install these other apps for her use. Anyhow she did not ask me for help, she insisted on learning the device herself. Now that shes learned how to use it she wont let me play with it.

Smartphones are way too addicting

Quote:

I read on my PDA all the time... it's not crazy, it's easy. As I always say, "You get used to... what you want to get used to."
Love that quote!
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Droid has a resolution of 854x480 and 267 dots per inch on a 3.7" screen and that makes a world of difference. It's a very crisp display.
Wow, that's crazy high!

I read on my BlackBerry Storm 480x360 and the font is very crisp, I don't see any jaggedness, only when I put the fonts real small but that is too small anyhow.

=X=
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow, that's crazy high!

I read on my BlackBerry Storm 480x360 and the font is very crisp, I don't see any jaggedness, only when I put the fonts real small but that is too small anyhow.

=X=
It is insane - I have a TX and an old iPaq and while they look perfectly decent on their own, there really is no comparison. This one is just so much crisper.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
After reading Nate's review, I downloaded two reading apps: eReader and Aldiko. I'd heard great things about Aldiko, and I wanted eReader because I already have a fair number of eReader format books from Fictionwise.

I started with eReader, and while I really liked some features, I have to say it's a mixed bag. The combination of Fictionwise bookshelf integration and DRM support is handy. (I would prefer DRM ePub support so it could share with my Sony, but eReader gives me access to new fiction which is nice).

Page animations looked off in landscape mode (you get some garbled text) but on the whole I had no problems.
Thanks.

Did you know the page turn animation can be turned off? It's one of the options in the settings menu
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #23
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thanks.

Did you know the page turn animation can be turned off? It's one of the options in the settings menu
I did, thanks. That's why I described it as part of the animation rather than the page turn itself.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #24
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
I read on my PDA all the time... it's not crazy, it's easy. As I always say, "You get used to... what you want to get used to."
I suppose if I wanted to get used to doing crazy stuff, I could wear tin foil hats, but I don't. I already said that I love having & using my Droid; in fact I am writing this post on it. I just don't want to spend hours reading books on it. Why are you attacking me for that?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I suppose if I wanted to get used to doing crazy stuff, I could wear tin foil hats, but I don't. I already said that I love having & using my Droid; in fact I am writing this post on it. I just don't want to spend hours reading books on it. Why are you attacking me for that?
I was hardly attacking you... just opposing your use of the word "crazy" to describe people unlike you (and implying we wear tinfoil hats, etc). If you don't like to read on your Droid, that's fine. But plenty of people (like myself) read on small devices like smartphones, PDAs and Blackberries, all the time. There's nothing "crazy" about it... it's just a preference.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #26
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
To be honest, though I feel WebOS is overall a slightly better operating system, the screens on the Droid and Nexus one are really selling me on Android right now.

Hrm... is it crazy that I'm even thinking about a new phone now, when I'm about a year away from my renewal period?

Quote:
I'm sure they work great as phones, but they won't be as good for reading. (Only the Nexus 1 has a similar screen resolution.)
Speaking of which, the Nexus one is rumored to be coming to Verizon later this month (it was confirmed for sometime in the spring).
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #27
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Oh, and this might make your day: Marty Cooper, inventor of the cellphone, uses a Droid.

Last edited by Dylrob; 03-12-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: How did I miss that stupid "t"?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
To be honest, though I feel WebOS is overall a slightly better operating system,
Yeah I agree. There is a web site called smartphoneroundrobin.com. Where they do an in depth evaluation of the leading smartphones.

After following their in depth eval. I too felt the webOS was a very nice platform. Probably the only two turn offs was the hardware quality and the lack of third party support.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #29
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My teenage son just bought a Droid Eris and it's a nice phone, just a bit smaller than my Imagio (Windows CE 6.5) and it displays books as well as the Imagio. Reading on a PDA size screen is not ideal, that's why I went to a Kindle, but I did it for years and if you're mindful of power consumption it's a great way to consume fiction.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I've been reading on PDAs for many years now, I started on a Palm Treo, and went to various WinMo devices, then WebOS, and now a Samsung Moment Android phone. I have to say that even though Android is far from a mature OS that has not had years of development like WinMo and PalmOS, it is still my favorite.

WebOS is nice and has potential, but back when I traded it for Android it was still far from ready for prime time. I heard Vs. 1.4 has been released, and it may be better now.

At any rate, reading on the small screen is by far my most usual mode because I ALWAYS HAVE IT WITH ME! I tried a 5” device (JetBook) because I could fit it in my trousers pocket, and that worked well except then I was carrying two devices instead of one. I tried reading on my phone whilst out and about, and on my PRS505 at home, but keeping them in sync was a pain.

So now I just read on my phone pretty much exclusively; which brings me to the point. I’d like to see a six inch or larger dedicated reader that will automatically stay in sync with my phone. I know the technology exists, but I have not seen anyone implement it.

Are you listening Amazon? Sony? Apple? (oh yeah, you guys only do iPhone. What was I thinking)
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote