Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
valcho
Enthusiast
valcho is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook Lite
top notch 6" or 5'' half price

Hi,

I was thinking to get Bebook Neo/Onyx Boox 60 or Pocketbook 302/602 type of reader which cost more then $300. Learning how fragile in general are the ebook readers I'm kind of unsure if I want to invest $300+ in this.
My local Costco has Aluratek Libre 5" reader for $160.
What do you think? The only my concern is the difference between 5" and 6", isn't 5" too small? (btw in my opinion 6" looks small too )

Thanks.
valcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Valcho, I too was concerned that a 5" screen might be too small, but I went ahead and bought a jetBook Lite anyway.

As it turns out, now that I own it I find that the 5" screen is not a problem.

The Aluratek Libre is a clone of the jetBook. I cannot decide for you whether the Libre or the Neo/Boox 60 is the better value.

However, I decided to buy an inexpensive unit for my first eBook reader, and I still think that that is the way to go. Chances are excellent that within three years you will buy another device from a selection of many that are better and less expensive than what is available today. So I wouldn't go high dollar for your first.

I recommend that you wait until you have decided that you like using an eBook reader, and with experience know which attributes are important to you, before spending the big bucks.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They are not fragile provided you treat them with a certain amount of respect. I've owned more bookreaders than I can remember; none has ever suffered a broken screen. Treat them in the same way you would, say, a laptop, and you'll be just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
valcho
Enthusiast
valcho is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Valcho, I too was concerned that a 5" screen might be too small, but I went ahead and bought a jetBook Lite anyway.

As it turns out, now that I own it I find that the 5" screen is not a problem.

The Aluratek Libre is a clone of the jetBook. I cannot decide for you whether the Libre or the Neo/Boox 60 is the better value.

However, I decided to buy an inexpensive unit for my first eBook reader, and I still think that that is the way to go. Chances are excellent that within three years you will buy another device from a selection of many that are better and less expensive than what is available today. So I wouldn't go high dollar for your first.

I recommend that you wait until you have decided that you like using an eBook reader, and with experience know which attributes are important to you, before spending the big bucks.
I just ordered Jetbook Lite. I couldn't resist - Toshiba LCD display (I'm a Toshiba fan ) and regular AA batteries.

Cheers!
valcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Congratulations Valcho! I'm glad you found a good deal on it.

You will probably also want rechargeable batteries, a battery charger and cases for the batteries; an SD card and and an SD card reader. I have spent $46 on these items so far, but you may already have them.

One of the guys really likes the Sanyo eneloop batteries. Search the jetBook forum for a couple of discussions on batteries and where to get them.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire
johnnycb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
is the ALuratek Libre really a spin-off or is it an official new launch that some company purchased the rights to it?

hopefully both thrive in this world of sony,mac and kindle not to mention the other expensive brands
johnnycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycb View Post
is the ALuratek Libre really a spin-off or is it an official new launch that some company purchased the rights to it?

hopefully both thrive in this world of sony,mac and kindle not to mention the other expensive brands
Aluratek is a legitimate separate company and uses the same hardware as the jetBook.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire
johnnycb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
thankyou dale
johnnycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Aluratech and Jetbooks are good readers... except that they use TFT-screen technology which does not allow you to read for longer period of time, as e-Ink devices do...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
24 hours is long enough for me, and unlike Eink, no annoying flash during page turns.

I'm finding I have to change battery's approximately once a week with JBL.
Regular Jetbook I had to charge a bit more often.

One thing that pushed me to switch from Jetbook to JBL is that
the Li-ion battery in Jetbook is listed for 3-500 duty cycles.
And costs 30$ to replace.

Where a set of rechargeable battery's for the JBL costs 13$, and lists 1,000 - 2000 duty cycles. And when the Jetbook needed charging I had to put it down and do something else for 4 hours. When the JBL runs dry its go swap the battery's, and 5 min later I'm reading again.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Aluratech and Jetbooks are good readers... except that they use TFT-screen technology which does not allow you to read for longer period of time, as e-Ink devices do...
Do you mean that they don't allow you to read for as long as e-ink devices because of eye-strain or because of battery life?

The eye-strain argument, particularly for reflective TFT, is disputed and seems to be subjectively very variable.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I have a Jetbook, my wife has a Sony PRS-505. I would say, while the Sony looks a bit better, they are in general about equally easy to read on. Now, the Jetbook, I generally find, if I am reading every day, I have recharge about every 4 days. You can also read while you are charging.

Its probably not the best choice for traveling out of the US, but otherwise, it is a decent unit all around.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote