Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
marinheiro
Enthusiast
marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Pocketbook, Kobo Aura, Kobo Elipsa
newbie with prs-t1 - best way to play ogg?

I've just bought a T1. I don't mind rooting it if I have to. One of the reasons I got a T1 instead of a T2 was that I wanted to have the audio, but all my music files are in ogg format, not mp3. What's the simplest way to be able to manage that?

Thanks
Graham
marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
marinheiro
Enthusiast
marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marinheiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, so I decided to just convert the ogg files to mp3 for now and think about rooting (maybe) later. I have a microsd card which I have formatted from the reader and which is recognized by the reader (About/Device information says I have 29.32GB on the SD card).

I connect my (Linux) laptop with the usb cable and df -h shows me

/dev/sdb 1.5G 993M 450M 69% /media/READER

there's no sign of the sd card space, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else (no separate /dev or /media). Copying to /media/READER/DCIM just fills up the on-board storage. How do I copy my audio files (or books) over to the SD card from Linux (I don't want to keep removing it)?

Thanks
Graham
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
marinheiro
Enthusiast

Installed Calibre on my laptop, and it has the same problem: although the data transfer mode on the Sony is set to 'Download to SD card', Calibre only sees the main memory, and exports books to the main memory. From what I've seen on the wiki, it appears that other people see the SD card as a separate partition over a USB connection - is that right?

Graham
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I can't help you much as I'm a Windows user and don't use an SD card anymore, but in Windows the external SD card shows up as an extra removable drive when connected to the PC via USB and should show up also in calibre. If you've formatted the card in the T1 there should be a basic Sony directory structure created on the card

If I remember correctly the T1 sees the path to the root of the external SD card is something like /mnt/extsd/ and root of internal memory as /mnt/sdcard/
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
marinheiro
Enthusiast

Thanks jackie_w: in fact it turned out to be entirely a Linux problem of my own making. I'd compiled the kernel without setting the option 'turned on 'Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device'. I added that and now I can see the sd card as a separate mounted device, as you said.

Still not found out how to play ogg files on a Sony though!

Graham
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinheiro View Post
Still not found out how to play ogg files on a Sony though!
I think you're out of luck with that, other than what you've already done.

Under 'Compatible formats, the Sony website says
Quote:
Unsecured Audio files: MP3, AAC (not most DRM audio)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote