Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre settings won't stick

Has anyone else experienced Calibre not 'remembering' its settings? In particular, no matter how I set the existing columns to display (I only want Author, Title and Size), next time I fire it up, I'm back to the default.

I have also unchecked the option to save a separate cover image -- and every time I fire it up, even though that option is unchecked, conversions produce separate cover images.

Anyone have a fix for these minor irritations to what is otherwise a hugely useful piece of software?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
Has anyone else experienced Calibre not 'remembering' its settings? In particular, no matter how I set the existing columns to display (I only want Author, Title and Size), next time I fire it up, I'm back to the default.
This tends to mean that there is a permissions issue and for some reason Calibre is unable to write back to the Calibre configuration folder.

Quote:
I have also unchecked the option to save a separate cover image -- and every time I fire it up, even though that option is unchecked, conversions produce separate cover images.
Not quite sure what you are getting at here?

I THINK you are referring to the settings for Saving to Disk? If so this applies to exporting files from Calibre and not to Calibre's internal storage of files.

Inside the calibre library folder you will get a cover.jpg file generated with each book which is standard calibre behavior as not all formats support storing covers inside the ebook file (see this sticky for more information). You should not really be accessing the folders inside the calibre library directly this should not matter - the expectation is that such folders should be accessed via the Calibre GUI.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Any idea then why there might be this permissions issue stopping writing to the Calibre configurations file, and how to fix this (I'm using Windows 7)?

What I'm referring to with Calibre insisting on producing a separate cover.jpg file even when the cover is embedded in the (.mobi) output conversion, is that then loading the resulting book in its folder onto the Kindle means the device is cluttered with an unnecessary cover.jpg file for every single book, which is a waste of space.

What I am trying to do is when converting from another format (.epub, .pdf etc.) to .mobi, is avoid having Calibre creating a separate cover.jpg file which I then have to manually delete before sideloading the new book onto the device.

In a similar vein, I also can't seem to stop Calibre creating an equally unnecessary metadata.opf file for every book which is converted, which also has to be deleted before sideloading to the device
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Any idea then why there might be this permissions issue stopping writing to the Calibre configurations file, and how to fix this (I'm using Windows 7)?
Not sure how this would have happened unless you have run an upgrade to Windows 7 from an earlier Windows release (which frequently messes up permissions). You can find out which is your Calibre Configuration folder by going to Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open Calibre Config Directory. You should then right click the folder to call up properties and check the permissions under the Security tab. You need to check that your user has Full Access to that folder and all its contents

Quote:
What I'm referring to with Calibre insisting on producing a separate cover.jpg file even when the cover is embedded in the (.mobi) output conversion, is that then loading the resulting book in its folder onto the Kindle means the device is cluttered with an unnecessary cover.jpg file for every single book, which is a waste of space.
How are you getting the book onto the Kindle? You shoulkd NOT be copying it using Windows Explorer. Instead you should be using the Calibre "Send to Device" facility.

Quote:
What I am trying to do is when converting from another format (.epub, .pdf etc.) to .mobi, is avoid having Calibre creating a separate cover.jpg file which I then have to manually delete before sideloading the new book onto the device.

In a similar vein, I also can't seem to stop Calibre creating an equally unnecessary metadata.opf file for every book which is converted, which also has to be deleted before sideloading to the device
Those files will ALWAYS be present in Calibre's internal library folders. Whether they get copied onto the Kindle should be a function of the Kindle Device driver in Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool starting minimized?

Quote:

Anyone have a fix for these minor irritations to what is otherwise a hugely useful piece of software?
is a windows setting starting calibre minimized? that setting is what caused me the same problem.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert