Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
rockchen
rockchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Does Kindle spread USB virus like USB flash drive?

Hi,
Does Kindle spread USB virus like USB flash drive?
Say, I often need to connect my kindle with PCs installed Window XP in public places.
My concern is whether kindle will carry any USB virus and make infection on my PC also installed Win XP.
Thanks.

Rock
rockchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I don't think that it is possible to build a virus into a kindle file, however I could be wrong.

PDF I do know it has been done with.

Most virus/trojans are some form of an .exe or executable file.

I suspect your kindle is pretty safe.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The Kindle may be safe itself, but I think any device which looks like a USB disk drive could become a carrier for the kind of viruses spread by USB drive contamination.

That said, I don't know if such viruses exist. I'm pretty sure Linux users are safe, which is why I try not to use my Windows systems regularly or for extended connections to the Internet.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Guys, what is this about? Can a virus spread via USB flash drive? Is it due to saving an infected file to the new computer? Will you please explain in small words to a non-techie such as myself?

We paid the $130 to Best Buy just this week to have them reformat our computer with the rezubeza virus that nothing else would eliminate. I saved everything to flash drives, but now I am afraid to re-install the files in case they are infected.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Guys, what is this about? Can a virus spread via USB flash drive? Is it due to saving an infected file to the new computer? Will you please explain in small words to a non-techie such as myself?

We paid the $130 to Best Buy just this week to have them reformat our computer with the rezubeza virus that nothing else would eliminate. I saved everything to flash drives, but now I am afraid to re-install the files in case they are infected.
Right now - remove whatever A/V software worstbuy sold you.
go download Avast! or AVG free.
register one of the abovementioned softwares for free, personal use.

never throw money @ BB again.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:

Ummm... any virus can be spread via USB flash drive if an infected file is copied to the drive and then copied to a PC running an operating system that the virus is designed to infect. It's not the method of copying the file that is the problem - it's the fact that an infected file remains infected unless it's disinfected by an anti-virus application. Reformatting the hard drive on the PC will clean the PC, but if you then copy an already infected file back onto that PC, you'll simply re-infect that PC.

Best I can suggest is that, after re-installing a clean version of Windows on the PC, you install a good anti-virus program, then use it to scan all of the files on the flash drive(s) you used, so you can get rid of any infected files before copying your stuff back onto the PC.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
never throw money @ BB again.
I wouldn't be that dogmatic, but then I'm a cat person

As long as you have your anti-virus scan your USB sticks before you copy anything off them, you should avoid problems. Of course, you should scan your hard drives before you plug in any USB sticks; they should be clean right after a re-install, but it never hurts to check.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I can top that one (unfortunately). I wish one of my more clueless relatives had taken their computer to BB, instead of to "some guy" ... they've got an unholy (though admittedly virus-free) mess now, and I have no clue why a bunch of their files ended up in a directory named "jerry". And they won't tell me how much they spent for this, which implies that it was quite a lot.

As for the USB drive issue: viruses have to be executed. Back in the days of floppies, they could lurk in the floppy's boot block and self-execute when the floppy was automatically read when it was inserted into the computer. USB drives are somewhat better behaved (and you should have auto-execute turned off for any removable media, just on general principles). But get yourself a copy of AVG (since you've done something that attracts viruses in the first place, buying one of the fancier versions of AVG would not be a bad idea), run it, and keep it updated.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Norton antivirus couldn't fix it. But I took my own WinXP disk with me and insisted they re-install from my disk and nothing else. Had to instruct them carefully that I did not want their crap package installed. (Not my first BB reformat.) but I know where the virus came from: A new Lexmark printer driver disk. (WinXP because this computer can still run older games that Win07 can not)

Since Norton could not find the rezubrza virus, what AV software would you suggest for checking the flash drive?

Thanks! This is very helpful.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
AVG is the name of antivirus software. They have a free version that is excellent as well as paid versions with more bells and whistles.

Norton is a virus.
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I'd second Worldwalker's suggestion of getting AVG - my partner has the free version on his PC and I have a paid subscription (because my work involves sending out files to clients and I don't want to find I sent out an infected file by accident! ) So far, I haven't had a single infection, and the only problems my partner has had that AVG couldn't clean itself turned out to be malware rather than a virus as such (which Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program cleaned beautifully).
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

I'll get AVG for it. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The most important thing you can do is be sure you download the latest updates for Windows. Last week, Microsoft finally disabled the auto-run feature via an update that allowed these viruses to spread so easily. Now, if you stick a virus infected thumb drive in your computer, it won't infect the PC unless you execute the virus file manually. You can read a blurb about it here:

http://www.securecomputing.net.au/Ne...n-for-usb.aspx
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
The Kindle may be safe itself, but I think any device which looks like a USB disk drive could become a carrier for the kind of viruses spread by USB drive contamination.
If you can copy whatever you want to it when it's connected to a computer, it can be used to transmit viruses like any other USB device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
That said, I don't know if such viruses exist. I'm pretty sure Linux users are safe, which is why I try not to use my Windows systems regularly or for extended connections to the Internet.
More and more Linux distros have autorun enabled. It's becoming an issue in the Linux community.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/0...Linux?from=rss
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Since Norton could not find the rezubrza virus, what AV software would you suggest for checking the flash drive?
AVG is a good choice, and it's free. I've been using Kingsoft recently, and one very nice feature on it is that it stops autorun by default. (From what I understand, Microsoft either has issue or is about it issue a critical update that does this on XP anyway.) So long as autorun is turned off, you should be safe to scan the flash drive.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote