Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Ipad & Mobi Files

Howdy:

Does anyone know if the ipad can open mobi files? If so, can Calibre be used to put them on the ipad to be used by the kindle for ipad device? I am trying to help my sister get them on her ipad but before I tell her how to use Calibre I want to make sure it will work for her.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I believe you can open MOBI files if you install and use the Kindle for iPad app.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I believe you can open MOBI files if you install and use the Kindle for iPad app.
Is it possible to sync them to the ipad from Calibre??
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - Calibre does not support syncing to any iPad app via iTunes except for iBooks. That is because there is no suitable interface to use for interfacing to these other apps.

If you have the iPad Kindle app installed, then you can download a mobi file from the Calibre Content server using Safari, and from there select the Kindle app as the one to handle the download.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It is easy to use iTunes to copy files to the Kindle app.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Yes, I think you hit apps on the device screen and then scroll down to the bottom and then find the Kindle app.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It is easy to use iTunes to copy files to the Kindle app.

Is it easy for someone that is not technically savvy? Can you give me the steps to take so that I can explain it to her, I know she uses iTunes. If she cannot use iTunes to move the mobi files to her ipad for the kindle app, what other format should the books be in?

Nyn
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
carney
carney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
easiest way to transfer .mobi files to amazon ipad app

If you have a non-drm .mobi file the easiest way to transfer a .mobi file to your
ipad is to do one of the two methods following?

Method 1:

1) download/install dropbox to your pc (www.dropbox.com it's free for the default amount of 2gb of storage)
2) create a dropbox account
3) copy .mobi file from your laptop to the public folder of your dropbox.
4) right click on the file and copy the web address
5) email your self the link.
6) open the email on your ipad... click the link... click the button to open the
file in the ipad amazon application

Method 2:

1) download/install dropbox to your pc (www.dropbox.com it's free for the default amount of 2gb of storage)
2) create a dropbox account
3) copy .mobi file from your laptop to the main folder of your dropbox.
4) download and install the dropbox app on your ipad
5) log into the dropbox on the ipad
6) tap the file with your finger and then select the icon in the upper right hand corner which asks if you want to open the file in the ipad amazon application.

Either method works!
carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't know why but my sister couldn't open the mobi files, I ended up converting them to epub for her.

Nyn
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Nyn, I use my ipad all the time and find that it's just simplest to convert the files to epub and transfer them via itunes. I actually don't like the kindle app myself and tend to use ibooks anyway although I've got a couple of pdf apps that are good for annotating but that's another story
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampercam View Post
Nyn, I use my ipad all the time and find that it's just simplest to convert the files to epub and transfer them via itunes. I actually don't like the kindle app myself and tend to use ibooks anyway although I've got a couple of pdf apps that are good for annotating but that's another story
Thanks, for my peace of mind I found it was just easier to convert them to epub in order for her to use. I do not know what app she is using but she couldn't get the mobi files to open but she could the epub.