Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Kindle Library Loans Goes Live Today, 21 Sep 2011

Amazon announced today that library loans on the Kindle are available at 11,000 libraries in the US. The books can save margin notes and bookmarks after your loan expires and will be visible when you borrow the book again or if you buy it.

Kindle library loans can be downloaded over Wi-Fi or by sideloading and will display page numbers that line up with the physical edition of the same book.

Here's the announcement: http://www.amazon.com/kindle/publiclibraries
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
That's great news!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That is very good news. And, interestingly, they doing it without having to support Kindle format ebooks at Overdrive or in the Libraries. It seems that the Overdrive copy gets marked as on loan, and the Kindle format ebooks gets sent from Amazon's own servers, presumably with appropriate time-limiting DRM.

I hope it rolls out to the UK soon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only thing that matters:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon FAQ on Kindle Library Lending
Are public library books for Kindle available internationally?
At this time, public library books for Kindle are only available at U.S. libraries.
Booooooo! Please make this happen outside of the US soon. I am disappointed that the FAQ doesn't talk about potentials and timelines at all for other countries.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I checked out 3 books and the process was painless! Right from the Amazon site over my WiFi to my Kindle! LOVE it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
FINALLY!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
So, according to this announcement the Kindle is the first ereader to support wirelessly library lending. The Sony T1 is going to be just the second one.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Rooted Nook STRs running Overdrive apps would have had similar support, but that's not "out of the book" support, I grant you.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
So, according to this announcement the Kindle is the first ereader to support wirelessly library lending. The Sony T1 is going to be just the second one.
Not quite. I still needed a computer to check out my books. Wireless came in when I transferred the books to my Kindle.

Sony plans to allow you to checkout books directly from the T1, completely bypassing your computer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not quite. I still needed a computer to check out my books. Wireless came in when I transferred the books to my Kindle.

Sony plans to allow you to checkout books directly from the T1, completely bypassing your computer.
Can't you use the Kindle browser to go to the library's website, check out the book from there, and then have it sent to your Kindle?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Can't you use the Kindle browser to go to the library's website, check out the book from there, and then have it sent to your Kindle?
Probably; but I ain't gonna try it. The Kindle browser sucks and is extremely painful to use. Maybe someone else will give it a shot.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
This is great news! The more users who can access library materials the better!

@booklover6: I'm glad that the process was so seamless. Have any other Kindle users tried this new feature yet?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
This is great news! The more users who can access library materials the better!

@booklover6: I'm glad that the process was so seamless. Have any other Kindle users tried this new feature yet?
I did on Monday and it was easier than borrowing EPUB books.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I am assuming that the book will automatically expire in 2 or 3 weeks and I don't have to do anything further to avoid late fees?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I am assuming that the book will automatically expire in 2 or 3 weeks and I don't have to do anything further to avoid late fees?
Correct; no late fees whatsoever. That's one of the many benefits of library ebooks.