Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
kphoenix
kphoenix began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub->mobi endnote formatting

I have an epub (generated from InDesign) with endnotes (fns in ID). I'm using my own stylesheet. In AdobeDE and Calibre the epub endnotes look fine. When I generate a mobi file with KindleGen the endnotes look fine.

However, when I convert to mobi using Calibre, every endnote has added white space above the last line of text, as if the line height for the last line was greater than the line height for the rest of the endnote. Very odd.

Has anyone else experienced this AND resolved it. Note: I'm using Kindle for PC, don't have a Kindle reader, if that might make any difference. Thanks.
kphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you can generate a good MOBI file via Kindlegen, why not just add that to Calibre?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
kphoenix

The KindleGen mobi doesn't keep the table of contents, which Calibre does. So, at the moment, it's unsightly endnotes from Calibre or no table of contents from KindleGen. I'd rather "fix" Calibre than mess with adding a separate toc file in the epub.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kphoenix View Post
The KindleGen mobi doesn't keep the table of contents
I'm just curious, are you sure KindleGen doesn't keep the TOC? Have you opened the book in K4PC and clicked the Go to menu and select Table of Contents? Mobi typically has their TOC as a inline TOC at the very back of the book and the only way to get there is via the Go To menu. Same thing with a real Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
kphoenix

Hi. Haven't used K4PC. Just to clarify, when I say toc, I'm referring to a toc.ncx not an inline toc. This morning I tried KindleGen on the Calibre epub (yesterday used it on the InDesign epub). Same result. In the Kindle for PC viewer, the go to button, "Table of Contents" is grayed out/disabled.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
kphoenix

My apologies...new to some of the lingo...if by "K4PC" you're referring to Kindle for PC, then, yes, that's what I used to view the mobi file.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
There are two types of "Table of Contents". In EPUB books, and in most EPUB readers, the NCX file is used to display a table of contents to the user. In MOBI books on the Kindle, the NCX file simply enables navigation to the previous/next navigation point using the 5-way control button - to display a table of contents to the Kindle user, it has to be coded as part of the HTML content, with a Guide item entry pointing to it in the OPF file. An inline TOC is the only kind that can be displayed to a Kindle user.

So when you use Kindlegen to convert an EPUB file to a MOBI file, it isn't actually "losing" the table of contents - the NCX file remains part of the ebook - it's just that MOBI files, and the Kindle, operate slightly differently compared to EPUB files and EPUB readers.

Edit to add: What Calibre is doing is creating an inline TOC from the headings in the HTML content, adding that to the end of the HTML content, and adding the appropriate Guide item in the OPF file to enable the Kindle to link to the inline TOC in its "Go To..." menu.

Last edited by DMSmillie; 01-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
kphoenix

Thanks for the clarification re toc.

The Calibre epub->mobi conversion uses the toc.ncx, i.e., when that mobi file is viewed in K4PC, the toc option is available. But, back to my original post, in the Calibre mobi file, every endnote with multiple lines displays with added white space above the last line of the endnote. If I can't resolve that formatting anomaly, then, I reckon I'll have to add an inline toc.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
kphoenix

Added note: When the mobi file created by Calibre is viewed in Calibre, the endnotes look ok. When viewed with K4PC or Mobipocket, the white space issue appears.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
The Calibre epub->mobi conversion uses the toc.ncx, i.e., when that mobi file is viewed in K4PC, the toc option is available.
What Calibre is doing is creating an inline TOC from the headings in the HTML content, adding that to the end of the HTML content, and adding the appropriate Guide item in the OPF file to enable the Kindle to link to the inline TOC in its "Go To..." menu.

Quote:
But, back to my original post, in the Calibre mobi file, every endnote with multiple lines displays with added white space above the last line of the endnote. If I can't resolve that formatting anomaly, then, I reckon I'll have to add an inline toc.
One possibility that occurs to me is if there's something in the last line of each endnote which is superscripted - some displays will move the line down to make room for superscript characters, whereas other displays will leave the line spacing untouched.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
kphoenix

I just double-checked one of the chapters and there's nothing in any of the endnotes that would indicate superscript.

I am using a stylesheet and have endnotes downsized to .8em. I could remove the font-size element and see if it makes a difference. I noticed in the KindleGen mobi generated from the InDesign epub, that the endnotes weren't downsized, i.e., Kindle ignored the setting.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
kphoenix

Follow-up. Well, removing the font-size parameter in the css resolved the issue. Would like to have smaller endnotes, but better to have toc from toc.ncx working and endnotes formatted ok. So, InDesign -> epub (no font-size for foot/endnotes) -> Calibre epub -> mobi.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
kphoenix

I also tried adding a font-size parameter to the <footnotes> element that is autogenerated in the epub. If added in the stylesheet, the epub reflects the font size change, the mobi doesn't. If a "style" statement is added to the <footnotes> element in the xhtml, the epub reflects the change, as does the mobi, but the mobi also has the extra space above the last line of each endnote.

Tags
endnotes