Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
beterhans
beterhans began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post Can I walk my kindle 3 into the Jail? aka UnJailbreaking or restore to stock

Can I walk my kindle 3 into the Jail? aka UnJailbreaking or restore to stock

Hello.
I haven't jailbreaked my kindle 3g yet. but I need a chinese input method. So I have to.

I'd like to know a rollback solution if something goes wrong...
any advice?
beterhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
beterhans
beterhans began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Talking

Just downloaded the tools.
I see a uninstall bin there. so it answered my stupid question..

sorry.
beterhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beterhans View Post
I'd like to know a rollback solution if something goes wrong...
any advice?
If something goes wrong, you really should have a backup copy.

From ssh, do
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin bs=1024
to save a backup copy to the USB Drive.

Then copy it to a host PC.

You should do that before anything COULD go wrong. It would make fixing it much easier.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If something goes wrong, you really should have a backup copy.

From ssh, do
to save a backup copy to the USB Drive.

Then copy it to a host PC.

You should do that before anything COULD go wrong. It would make fixing it much easier.
Very cool. So you can do a 'dd' restore from that image just like you would on a Linux machine, and it will simply overwrite all you might have hacked/screwed up? Although, if so, and if you were to 'restore' via USBNetwork hack, or a Launchpad script, or a Kindle terminal, wouldn't an error occur due to the fact that you will be removing the hack to allow it to work, all in one command?
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
... and if you were to 'restore' via USBNetwork hack, or a Launchpad script, or a Kindle terminal, wouldn't an error occur due to the fact that you will be removing the hack to allow it to work, all in one command?
You need to run ssh from the usb drive where it will not get overwritten during the restore. You can follow the example used in NiLuJe's usbnet for the kindle 3. Or you can run SSH from the diagnostics partition. Or you can use the tar bug to restore the partition during startup.

The complications only arise when doing a restore. You can do a backup as I suggested at any time.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You need to run ssh from the usb drive where it will not get overwritten during the restore. You can follow the example used in NiLuJe's usbnet for the kindle 3. Or you can run SSH from the diagnostics partition. Or you can use the tar bug to restore the partition during startup.

The complications only arise when doing a restore. You can do a backup as I suggested at any time.
Thank you for the info. Creating a backup was indeed easy. I just did it in myts, the terminal on my Kindle.

One thing I found in another thread was they put '~exec' before your command. Is it the same thing?

Now, I am trying to make a simple outline of just what to do, just in case. Could you possibly give me the steps, and/or the link to NiLuJe's usbnet example you mentioned on how to restore using that image previously created?

Edit:

Would something like this work if done on a Linux machine to restore?:

Code:
Backup:

Restore:
    sudo su # Become root, so you don’t need to sudo everything
    fdisk -l # Look for your Kindle’s identifier, something like /dev/sdc, a 2GB drive with 4 partitions. using /dev/sdX here to represent drive
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdX2 # Make a ext3 partition for /var/local
    dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin of=/dev/sdX1 bs=1MiB # This will take a long time to finish

Last edited by inameiname; 01-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote