Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
No included cover with Kindle 2?

I can't believe Amazon didn't include a stock cover/case with the K2, like they did with the K1. I understand the business case to charge for every possible accessory, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
selling accessories = more profits
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Amazon probably saw the growing demand of the Kindle (remember the really long wait list on Amazon) and took advantage of it with the Kindle 2. Why include a free cover when you could just sell it separately? Sure, people gripe, but I'd be willing to bet most (if not almost all) of them would buy it anyway. And there you have your profits.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Argent009
www.kindle2hacks.com
Argent009 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-501/Kindle 2
That's sort of mean but, isn't the K2 hitting the market at a significantly lower price than the K1 did? Maybe that's one positive way to look at it.
Argent009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
It wouldn't be so bad if the device didn't seem like a step backwards (*caugh*SDslot*caugh*). At least when devices like iPod began shipping with less they weren't also removing features and functionality from the device.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
I agree with you a basic case should have been included. its disappointing. The majority of new kindle 2 owners will want a case to protect it and they will purchase one.

Does anyone think a pouch will be included in the kindle 2 box? It was rumored to have one when the boy genius leak came out. Apple includes that crappy case when you get an ipod, and it was never listed to be included at the apple store product description.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
At least when devices like iPod began shipping with less they weren't also removing features and functionality from the device.
Actually, if you think back to the differences between the original iPod and the Gen2, you will notice a big change...the gen1 had the ability to become a bootable drive via firewire, but when they switched to the original dock connector that ability disappeared, and there were similar bitches from a few vocal tech geeks about "taking away vital features", but the market overall embraced the iPod much quicker once they changed syncing to USB in the 3rd generation.

I know that as early adopters and we tend to react strongly to these things, but lets remember that new technology tends to evolve from generation 1 to 2, and level off around the 3rd or 4th gen.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Actually, I would have like having the ability to choose my cover for the mkI. I would have gone with the mEdge right away, rather than having two unuseable Amazon covers sitting around, gathering dust. I ordered the soft case for my mkII, becasue the Amazon cover didn't show the interior and looked suspiciously like the same old same old from the mkI.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I had to buy a USB hub when I found out that my second iPod could't be synced using firewire. That was an unintended accessory
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
I can't believe Amazon didn't include a stock cover/case with the K2, like they did with the K1. I understand the business case to charge for every possible accessory, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
It does have a slip case. But if you want a cover that opens and closes, it's extra.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Where are you getting your information that a slip cover is included? Its says nothing about this on the amazon page. If this is from that boy genuis picture that is hardly hard facts. It is not listed in included accessories so if somone doesn't atleast buy the belkin sleeve case or the standard kindle cover, they might have nothing to protect the kindle with.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm surprised they did it with the K1 in the first place to be honest. At the end of the day, they are a business and profit is their end goal.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Where are you getting your information that a slip cover is included? Its says nothing about this on the amazon page. If this is from that boy genuis picture that is hardly hard facts. It is not listed in included accessories so if somone doesn't atleast buy the belkin sleeve case or the standard kindle cover, they might have nothing to protect the kindle with.
You are right. Some of the pictures show the new Kindle resting on what appeared to be a slip case. But there is NO mention of anything like that on the product page. So I will have to assume that such a slip cover does not come with the Kindle. Thank you for pointing that out.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
yeah, its too bad. I don't mind they don't include a case but a sleeve would be nice and given me time to decide what case I might want to pre-order :-) So instead I am paying for the black amazon case that looks pretty nice but I also am ordering a saffire blue platform case from m-edge because I love blue but it wouldn't be shipped for probably a week or 2 until after i receive my kindle. Oh well.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Given the speakers are in the back would it make sense to include a cover?

(Yes, I understand many don't care about this feature or would use headphones...just saying a cover doesn't fit with the design).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote