Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Google Editions

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19563...questions.html

Google’s E-Book Store: Five Burning Questions

Ian Paul

May 5, 2010 6:21 am

Google reminded us this week that the company's e-book retail platform, Google Editions , will launch sometime in the next two months, as expected . Google Editions will be device agnostic, (similar to how Amazon allows Kindle books to be read on almost any computer platform), but will rely on the Web to deliver and store a user's purchases, instead of direct device downloads like the Kindle, Barnes & Noble's Nook, and Apple's iBookstore.

..... more at link above.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
He misses the obvious question: Has Google fixed the severe OCR problems that make some of their books unreadable?
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
He misses the obvious question: Has Google fixed the severe OCR problems that make some of their books unreadable?
I don't think the article was really discussing googe books, but the soon to be book store - Google Editions which will (I presume) be something like epub format ...
Old 05-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't think the article was really discussing googe books, but the soon to be book store - Google Editions which will (I presume) be something like epub format ...
Last I heard it was going to be a cloud setup where you could only read the books online (no downloadable format) don't know if that's still the case.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
kennyc

Could be....I'm really not familiar with it, I just ran across the article and it sounded like they were going to make books available via Android.
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The claim seems to be that 'browser-based' is 'device agnostic', but it isn't, really. You need that net connection while you are reading, it sounds like. Nothing to download and move off to a different device, so, no ereaders.

We shall see; so far, I'm not too interested.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Supposedly the books would be 'cached' for offline reading, but the ability to sideload to a dedicated reader does seem to be lacking.

Which lets most of us out. Which of us, after using a dedicated reader, wants to go back to reading on an LCD? I don't, that's for sure.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Supposedly the books would be 'cached' for offline reading, but the ability to sideload to a dedicated reader does seem to be lacking.

Which lets most of us out. Which of us, after using a dedicated reader, wants to go back to reading on an LCD? I don't, that's for sure.
An LCD would be fine with me... if it weighed less than half a pound, fit in my purse, and had at least a 10-hour battery life.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Last I heard it was going to be a cloud setup where you could only read the books online (no downloadable format) don't know if that's still the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworld
This suggested that Google would rely on users to install Web apps, which are essentially shortcut icons to a Web page, on their devices or just bookmark the Google Editions site in their browsers.

But The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday that Google may decide to build mobile apps to "optimize reading on certain devices like an iPhone or iPad ." That would be a wise decision on Google's part since downloadable applications have proved to be far more popular with users than Web apps.
Google loves the cloud, but they haven't put all their eggs in that basket yet. Android, for example, is both cloud friendly and app friendly. What I'm hoping for from Google is a cloud option + DRM-free epub. Given that fictionwise just lost a chunk of their library for reasons unknown to me, I might be needing a new store soon.

The DRM-free bit is probably a pipe dream, but once upon a time, who would have thought that Apple of all people would force music publishers to go DRM-free mp3?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Google loves the cloud, but they haven't put all their eggs in that basket yet. Android, for example, is both cloud friendly and app friendly.....
I think this may be the answer.

I'd be surprised if Google doesn't integrate caching ability in Android, allowing the upcoming Android tablets to read offline. If it's integrated into Andoid, them maybe some of the Android-based eink ereaders will be able to take advantage of it.

I believe we'll find out more at Google I/O starting on May 19th. I sure hope there is a Google tablet being announced then, too
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
This was my first thought as well. I've never had a book from google without hundreds of OCR errors - and once, a lovely photograph of someone's bleeding hand!

It doesn't bother me too much when the content is free, but if they're charging money for something I sure hope the quality is higher...
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Which is rather unattractive in places where mobile bandwidth is expensive.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Which is rather unattractive in places where mobile bandwidth is expensive.
It may be it operates like their GMail, or Docs, where there are "offline" modes. For instance, you can auto or manual synch GMail for flaky connections or just knowing you're going offline, so you can still use it, and access your synched email, when you don't have a connection. Likewise, you can work offline with (some?) documents in their Docs office suite.

This is just me hypothesising, though I do think there is a likelihood of them having an awareness of
an online-all-the-time limitation, especially when reading may be precisely the type of thing many may wish to do when voluntarily or involuntarily out of range. They use and are expanding that technology now, so, to me, it makes logical sense that it would be incorporated from the get-go.

I will acknowledge that "logical sense" is not always readily apparent in this developing ebook environment.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Piece about GE in today's Publishers Weekly here: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ublishing.html

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Which lets most of us out. Which of us, after using a dedicated reader, wants to go back to reading on an LCD a computer screen? I don't, that's for sure.
Me. But even a LCD screen doesn't mean you can read those google books. As my LCD reader doesn't have an internet connection. I think you meant going back to a computer screen instead of a dedicated device...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote