Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #91
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OK; now that KOreader is working with 3.2.0, I downloaded and applied the "update" to FW 3.2.0. (I uninstalled Giorgio's two finger mod first.) After the update it boots into Nickel. So, I downloaded your "KBStartMenu_03check.zip" and just used the KoboRoot.tgz in your "reinstall" folder.

It all works now except the "start nickel" (which is fine with me) it will go into a perpetual dancing squares. Holding the power slider until the dancing stops shuts it down and then it will open in the Start Menu when you start it back up.

If I really wanted to use Nickel, I would use your alternate startup, but I have all I need just as it is, with the Kobo Start Menu working, Koreader and "vlasovsoftlauncher" & Coolreader working on my AuraHD 3.2.0.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-18-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #92
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
OK; now that KOreader is working with 3.2.0, I downloaded and applied the "update" to FW 3.2.0. (I uninstalled Giorgio's two finger mod first.) After the update it boots into Nickel. So, I downloaded your "KBStartMenu_03check.zip" and just used the KoboRoot.tgz in your "reinstall" folder.
It all works now except the "start nickel" (which is fine with me) it will go into a perpetual dancing squares. Holding the power slider until the dancing stops shuts it down and then it will open in the Start Menu when you start it back up.
Thank you for trying it. I am really surprised that the menu works. According to other reports the menu is more or less unresponsive on Glo and AuraHD.

Quote:
If I really wanted to use Nickel, I would use your alternate startup,
Even if you don't use Nickel, could you please replace kbmenu\onstart\startreader.sh with the new version and try whether it works? This might be of interest for some other AuraHD owners. You might also consider replacing all files by the new ones. I did some improvements on several points.

Quote:
but I have all I need just as it is, with the Kobo Start Menu working, Koreader and "vlasovsoftlauncher" & Coolreader working on my AuraHD 3.2.0.
I did not know that Coolreader is working under 3.2.0.

Thank you again for this information. I have to confess that I am still and again confused.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #93
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's working fine so far. I'll give the onstart changes a try later tonight. Have to leave now.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #94
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's working fine so far. I'll give the onstart changes a try later tonight. Have to leave now.

Luck;
Ken
I am in no hurry! Have a nice evening!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #95
Ken Maltby
Wizard

OK, I replaced the "onstart" folder with the one from the KBStartMenu_3 download and it works, I can launch Nickel. I can exit Nickel using the exit png and it returns to the Start Menu - but - it is upside down. Poking where things are supposed to be works enough to get out of it.

It looks like the alternating boot is working as well, (I'll have to change it to "always").

Anything else I should check?

Luck;
Ken

"always" appears to be working as well.

OT; What is the bottom bar with the arrows for?

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-18-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #96
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
OK, I replaced the "onstart" folder with the one from the KBStartMenu_3 download and it works, I can launch Nickel. I can exit Nickel using the exit png and it returns to the Start Menu - but - it is upside down. Poking where things are supposed to be works enough to get out of it.
Thank you for testing. I upload another startreader.sh. Screen orientation after returning from nickel should be set correctly now.

Quote:
It looks like the alternating boot is working as well, (I'll have to change it to "always").

Anything else I should check?
I cannot think of anything particular. But I appreciate any observations you make.

Quote:
OT; What is the bottom bar with the arrows for?
If there are more options than fit into one screen, you can use those buttons for navigation. From left to right: go to the start of the list, scroll up, scroll down, go to the end of the list.
Attached Files
File Type: zip startreader.zip (789 Bytes, 205 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #97
tshering
Wizard

Now, there is the strange situation that the start menu is not working on some Glos and one Aura HD (trekk, Cecell3000, embryo), but is working on Touch (mine and some others) and on one Aura HD (Ken Maltby; maybe also gloriousglib). I think it is also somehow telling that the KoboLauncher is working (at least) on one Aura 6 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=345).
So maybe the model is not so decisive for our problem, but rather what other hacks are installed (or rather: were installed at the time of testing the start menu). Can we compare them.
I have/had installed, apart from the start menu
  • yoq's night mode (cannot remember which version)
  • KoboLauncher (2 different versions)
  • Koreader (3 different builds)
  • KevinShort's telnet hack
  • my Modifications for Bad Eyes
A likely candidate might be the Two-fingers light control.

Last edited by tshering; 03-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #98
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Now, there is the strange situation that the start menu is not working on some Glos and one Aura HD (trekk, Cecell3000, embryo), but is working on Touch (mine and some others) and on one Aura HD (Ken Maltby; maybe also gloriousglib). I think it is also somehow telling that the KoboLauncher is working (at least) on one Aura 6 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=345).
So maybe the model is not so decisive for our problem, but rather what other hacks are installed (or rather: were installed at the time of testing the start menu). Can we compare them.
I have/had installed, apart from the start menu
  • yoq's night mode (cannot remember which version)
  • KoboLouncher (2 different versions)
  • Koreader (3 different builds)
  • KevinShort's telnet hack
  • my Modifications for Bad Eyes
A likely candidate might be the Two-fingers light control.
I uninstalled Giorgio's Two-fingers light control using the "multi-touch-uninstall.zip" he provided BEFORE doing the "update" from FW 3.1.1 to FW 3.2.0. There has been a number of postings warning of the need to do so.

I also had the current version of KOreader (971) and pbchess-1.2.6.36.

I am not sure which version of your Start Menu I had on when I installed FW 3.2.0. It could have been the version from the 8,031KB file (most likely) or perhaps the earlier 7,896 KB download.

I just used the reinstall KoboRoot.tgz from your 7,993 KB download to get my AuraHD running with the Start Menu on FW 3.2.0.

I had none of the other hacks on my Aura. (Until the reinstall I think, and the night mode png showed up.)

Everything seems to be working fine. Hope this helps, I will also try the Nickel return fix, today.

Luck;
Ken

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #99
Ken Maltby
Wizard

OK, with the new startreader.sh the first return from Nickel has the menu right side up, but as soon as you select an item or return from a selection it is flipped again. A power cycle gets me back to a working menu.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #100
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
OK, with the new startreader.sh the first return from Nickel has the menu right side up, but as soon as you select an item or return from a selection it is flipped again. A power cycle gets me back to a working menu.
Thank you. This is the same behavior on Aura HD (and maybe Glo, I have to re-read this thread) as with older FWs.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #101
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
... I had none of the other hacks on my Aura. (Until the reinstall I think, and the night mode png showed up.)
I think we both had a very similar set up. Would be nice if we could learn that those users with a not working menu had all a hacks installed that we had not.

I would also appreciate if users who have the menu running with FW 3.2.0 would confirm that it is working and maybe tell their current set up of the device.

Last edited by tshering; 03-19-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #102
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I have had installed pbchess 1.2.6.36, KOreader (don't remember which version), Kobo Patcher for 3.1.1 and Giorgio's Two-fingers light control on my Aura HD. I uninstalled Giorgio's hack before updating to FW 3.2.0.

I made a factory reset and applied only the Kobo Patcher and Giorgio's hack, with the same result.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #103
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I have had installed pbchess 1.2.6.36, KOreader (don't remember which version), Kobo Patcher for 3.1.1 and Giorgio's Two-fingers light control on my Aura HD. I uninstalled Giorgio's hack before updating to FW 3.2.0.

I made a factory reset and applied only the Kobo Patcher and Giorgio's hack, with the same result.
Thank you! But I am not sure whether I understand correctly. Do you say that you tried the start menu on FW 3.2.0 once without Giorgio's hack, and once with Giorgio's hack?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #104
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you! But I am not sure whether I understand correctly. Do you say that you tried the start menu on FW 3.2.0 once without Giorgio's hack, and once with Giorgio's hack?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I uninstalled Giorgio's hack before upgrading to 3.2.0, then tried the start menu, with no success. After a factory reset I tried again with Giorgio's hack installed, but also with no luck.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #105
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I uninstalled Giorgio's hack before upgrading to 3.2.0, then tried the start menu, with no success. After a factory reset I tried again with Giorgio's hack installed, but also with no luck.
Thank you again! I wonder what might be the difference between your set up and Ken's.