Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #346
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I use Caecilia 4.

You could also point me to the settings responsible for size and weight, and I'll happily try myself. Would have already, if I weren't such a noob at front creation
Glyph Transformer under Tools menu. Under effects choose Bold to add weight. Under Outlines is scale for resizing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #347
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks

5 minutes ago I had an epiphany with regard to search queries and see what I found:

http://blog.peterkupfer.net/2009/03/...-create-fonts/
http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=787

I'll try to fix some fonts tomorrow, starting with Charis SIL Compact, Trebuchet, and DejaVu Serif. Any other suggestions? (Georgia? I like that one in print too, especially the numbers.) If I need to do it again after 30 days I'll just clean up the installation of FrontCreator and install the trial again.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #348
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Font funstrations...

So, I used the alt trick and tried to add in 3 custom fonts, Charis from jswolf, Gentium book from blossom, and Caecilia that I modded myself.

Charis and Gentium both look really nice, but aren't suited for the size I like to read at. I have been reading on the PW with Caecilia at size 2 (from left) and when I use Charis and Gentium, they are both too small at that size. Gentium book looks better to me up at size 5 but is a bit too big and size 4 is a bit too small. Maybe it is just the way the font is designed with the unique tall l's and h's. Charis looks really nice at size 3 and gives the stock Caecilia good competition.

So I tried to use the same custom Caecilia font I used on my old sony 505 with regular = semibold, italic = semibold italic, bold = bold, and bolditalic = bolditalic. Here is a post with a photo of how bold the regular looks on the 505 (sorry, there was no way to get a screenshot).

On the 505, it looked pretty good, and even better on the 650, but on the PW, it looks horrible and super thick with nasty display characteristics. I tried to get a screenshot of the modded Caecilia on the PW, but I managed to freeze the PW and was forced to long hold the power button to reboot. Before trying to change fonts again, I deleted the modded Caecilia to prevent freezing. I suspect when I modded the metadata with fontographer, that the PW didn't like the changes I made.

Anyways, if someone makes a slightly heavier Caecilia but same size as the stock Caecilia, please post some pics and what changes you made so that I can reproduce your results for my own use.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #349
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
So, I used the alt trick and tried to add in 3 custom fonts, Charis from jswolf, Gentium book from blossom, and Caecilia that I modded myself.

Charis and Gentium both look really nice, but aren't suited for the size I like to read at. I have been reading on the PW with Caecilia at size 2 (from left) and when I use Charis and Gentium, they are both too small at that size. Gentium book looks better to me up at size 5 but is a bit too big and size 4 is a bit too small. Maybe it is just the way the font is designed with the unique tall l's and h's. Charis looks really nice at size 3 and gives the stock Caecilia good competition.

So I tried to use the same custom Caecilia font I used on my old sony 505 with regular = semibold, italic = semibold italic, bold = bold, and bolditalic = bolditalic. Here is a post with a photo of how bold the regular looks on the 505 (sorry, there was no way to get a screenshot).

Anyways, if someone makes a slightly heavier Caecilia but same size as the stock Caecilia, please post some pics and what changes you made so that I can reproduce your results for my own use.
Did you tried the new Book version it's been upsize a little to fix the too small problem. Gentium is a SIL font so you can resize it to whatever you want.

I had problems with fonts rebooting the PW so I am careful to only use non problematic fonts. For instance the Nook version of Amasis will crash the PW. It's a mystery why....

My version of Caecilia I just added weight to using Bold setting on font creator. The best thing to do is find your unmodified copy of the font and start over. I find it best to make several versions and give them different families names then compare them all on the PW till I find one I like and I keep that one.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #350
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Did you tried the new Book version it's been upsize a little to fix the too small problem. Gentium is a SIL font so you can resize it to whatever you want.

I had problems with fonts rebooting the PW so I am careful to only use non problematic fonts. For instance the Nook version of Amasis will crash the PW. It's a mystery why....

My version of Caecilia I just added weight to using Bold setting on font creator. The best thing to do is find your unmodified copy of the font and start over. I find it best to make several versions and give them different families names then compare them all on the PW till I find one I like and I keep that one.
Yes, I used the Book version and it was WAY better than your original versions from the other day. I think in the end, although they look really good on preview, that the shorter smaller letters like "s" and the taller letters like "h" were not as readable at size 2 or 3 as the stock Caecilia at size 2 is.

The custom version of Caecilia I used was simply renaming the bold (of the "light" Caecilia font) to regular and heavy (again of the "light" Caecilia font) to bold.

I have now extracted rootfs.img from the 5.3.3 bin update and found the fonts.cramfs.img with the stock PW fonts. Unfortunately, I am having troubles mounting the fonts.cramfs.img to actually get my hands on those fonts to try and make them slightly more heavy and use as a custom font. Once I get the fonts, I will try experimenting for fun.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #351
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes, I used the Book version and it was WAY better than your original versions from the other day. I think in the end, although they look really good on preview, that the shorter smaller letters like "s" and the taller letters like "h" were not as readable at size 2 or 3 as the stock Caecilia at size 2 is.

The custom version of Caecilia I used was simply renaming the bold (of the "light" Caecilia font) to regular and heavy (again of the "light" Caecilia font) to bold.

I have now extracted rootfs.img from the 5.3.3 bin update and found the fonts.cramfs.img with the stock PW fonts. Unfortunately, I am having troubles mounting the fonts.cramfs.img to actually get my hands on those fonts to try and make them slightly more heavy and use as a custom font. Once I get the fonts, I will try experimenting for fun.
I could never get Kindle tool to work so I got mine from my K4S which I jailbroke just for the fonts. Not the same as the PW versions but it works.

I don't know how anyone can read anything on the PW on size 2. It's so tiny. You would want a thin font if you read on that size or you wont be able to make out the letters too well.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #352
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just got my PW and have been trying out the included fonts so far. An idea I had was to see if there had been any polls on the forums on what the best fonts are for the PW but I couldn't find any.
My gut reaction is that the fonts in general are somewhat fuzzy. They are not as clearly defined as I would like them to be. Can this be made better by using custom fonts?
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #353
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I use Caecilia 4.

You could also point me to the settings responsible for size and weight, and I'll happily try myself. Would have already, if I weren't such a noob at front creation
The way I plan on doing it is to play with the font's numbers. yes, you can adjust the font to make it bigger. But I prefer to try the numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #354
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I've fount that Charis SIL at 3 is about the same size as Caecilia at 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #355
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't know how anyone can read anything on the PW on size 2. It's so tiny. You would want a thin font if you read on that size or you wont be able to make out the letters too well.
It depends.

When I'm reading in bed, without my glasses, I tend to hold the PW significantly closer. (I'm quite myopic.) Then I can easily read the smallest size fonts on the PW.

I have gradually come to the conclusion that I find sans-serif typefaces easier to read. It's true that it doesn't look quite as 'literary', but to me the increased readability trumps that. (This is probably because I do most of my reading on-screen these days, and on moderate-resolution displays serif fonts have a tendency to look smeared.)

I used to use Futura on the PW, but in the end I found the sharp corners on 'M' etc. to be too disconcerting. Now I use Verdana, which I find works pretty well. I use the smallest size when reading in bed, and size 2 or 3 out of bed.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #356
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Being able to read small stuff comes with being myopic (-10 here...) If a font has the right shape and thickness, I can read it on basically any size. For example, I can read laserprinted Veranda and Modern Latin down to point 5, when not using my glasses.

While it does look ridiculous to hold a book about 12cm from your eyes, I actually prefer to hold it close and read extremely small fonts (if need be), than to hold it at 30cm and reading bigger fonts using my reading / computer glasses. The latter is much more tiring.

But, sitting 12cm from a 24 inch computer monitor in the office would be ridiculousness of epic proportions.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #357
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrizz View Post
I just got my PW and have been trying out the included fonts so far. An idea I had was to see if there had been any polls on the forums on what the best fonts are for the PW but I couldn't find any.
My gut reaction is that the fonts in general are somewhat fuzzy. They are not as clearly defined as I would like them to be. Can this be made better by using custom fonts?
Yes. Any of the fonts I loaded are sharper/have more contrast than the stock fonts.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #358
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I added Goodfish to my PW and I have it set on the fourth (from the left) size.
grant.ben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #359
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

This one?

http://www.dafont.com/goodfish.font

Looks fishy indeed. Very elongated, but stylish I'll try that too.

edit: Note: I compare all fonts to Caecilia 4, as I've been using that one for over a year.

Just tried Goodfish. It's a beautiful font to look at, using thin and thick lines, but it's small. Very small. Tiny, in fact. It's so small, that Goodfish 5 still easily gains 3 lines on screen over Caecilia 4. This is a very elegant font, if you don't mind the smallness or are willing to set a larger size. Because of the elongated letters, it's less readable than other fonts, at least for me.

I've also just finished my fat DejaVu Serif. It looks good, IMHO. It has a much more "bookish" look than the blocky Caecilia, which, to me, looks much more "typewriter-ish. DejaVu Serif and Caecilia are the same size. Because the letters are spaced closer together, DejaVu Serif 4 gains about one line on screen over Caecilia 4. Readbility is about equal; it depends on what you like.

Next I've also modified one of my favourite foonts on paper, Georgia. It looks good on screen, but it's hard for me to get the size as I want it. It's much smaller than Caecilia. When both are set to size 4, Georgia gains about 6,5 lines on screen over Caecilia. However, it does look good, and it's very readable. Setting the size to 5, makes it loose 2 lines over Caecilia 4, so it's not unusable or anything. It's worth checking out if you like this old standby when reading paper.

And last but not least, the font many love on screen, but hate on paper: Verdana. I've fattened it up a bit, same as the others. It's size is equal to Caecila, but the letters are a bit closer together. Therefore it gains one line on screen, if both are set to size 4. Like Caecila, Verdana is not a beautiful font, but it is very readable. It looks comparable to Helvetica, but it's a tad bigger: With both set to size 4, Helvetica gains 2,5 lines on screen.

I've also tried Trebuchet, but I don't like the way it displays some letters, such as "g"; therefore I didn't keep it.

If you want to try the fatter DejaVu Serif, you can download it from my webspace; it's a free font (LICENSE). If you want to also try the fat Georgia and Verdana, you can PM me, and I'll send you the (not so hard to guess) download link.

DejaVu Serif, fat version:
http://members.home.nl/katsunami/misc/DejaVu-Fat.zip

To summarize: Should I leave Caecilia 4, then it would probably be for my fat DejaVu Serif font, at least for now. The reason would solely be that DejaVu Serif looks much more like a "book font" to me than Caecilia does. In all other things, such as size, fatness and readability, they're about equal.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #360
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just tried your font Katsunami. It looks great! Thanks for sharing.
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote