Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
alexisthetiny
alexisthetiny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting PDFs containing images to Mobi?

Not sure where this belongs to. Here's my problem. I have some PDF math textbooks containing diagrams. I need to convert them to Mobi format so that I can make use of the enlarge font and spacing function. So far, just about everything I've tried has resulted in scrambled chunks of text everywhere or text that cannot be adjusted.

Is there some way I can convert a PDF textbook into Mobi format? Or is there anything I can convert those PDFs to so that I can adjust the font size and spacing on them? I'm not even caring about kindle compatibility at this point any more, I just want to enlarge the font size and spacing so I can read the darned textbooks.
alexisthetiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you know if the images in the book are vector graphics, or rasterized image files? If the latter, I would have guessed that calibre or MobiPocket creator could handle them. I'm not sure if any program currently available can handle vector graphics in PDFs well. Probably if there are math symbols in the text anyway, conversion is not going to go well anyway.

My advice would actually be to keep the file in PDF format and try to make it readable by cropping all the whitespace and dividing each page into reader-sized chunks, maybe with landscape in mind. Perhaps a combination of soPDF, PDFLRF and/or BRISS, depending on the exact layout of the book. Some advice on that here.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert