Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
All My Books Program -- Free Today (June 9)

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

The All My Books program is today's give-away-of-the-day. The product blurb:

-----

Organize your collection of paper books into an electronic library. Add books easily without typing full details: All My Books gets information about the book from the Internet automatically. Track loaners and locate every book in just seconds.

Organize your e-books as well. You can store link to the file in the book card and open it directly from All My Books. The program is able to automatically fill the book card for the following e-book formats: FB2, FB2.ZIP, LRF (Sony Reader), LIT, MOBI, PRC, PDB, EPUB.

Organize your audio books. You can start playback from the program in just one click. The book card is filled automatically for MP3, WMA, OGG formats.

-----

Personally I'm not downloading it because I ♥ calibre, but for someone wanting to categorize their pbooks and audiobooks it would come in handy. And if you just want to try it, you can't beat the price.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I just got a barcode scanner from ThinkGeek with the intention of using it to organize my pbooks (the cheaper tethered version, btw, not the portable one). I haven't had a chance to try out its software yet, because I'm in the middle of moving, but I'm looking for a way to integrate my ebook and pbook libraries. I was thinking of using empty books in calibre, or begging the devs to add another format option ("paper"), but this might be something worth looking into. If it can play nice with calibre (importing calibre catalog data, perhaps) it might be a very useful adjunct. Thanks for the link.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
During installation, the license refers to the try-before-you-buy version. Do you know for sure that we get a full version from this "giveaway" (which wants to infest my machine with it's own software, wants me to run a scan via it's website and has atrocious English grammar on it's site and it's installation screens)?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
During installation, the license refers to the try-before-you-buy version. Do you know for sure that we get a full version from this "giveaway" (which wants to infest my machine with it's own software, wants me to run a scan via it's website and has atrocious English grammar on it's site and it's installation screens)?
I think it's the full version... It's registered to GiveAwayOfTheDay..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
See post number 66 in that area....he saw mention of a 30-free trial.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
See post number 66 in that area....he saw mention of a 30-free trial.

Don
Giveaways are never trials, they are always the permanent program of whatever is offered. They may be lite versions that don't do everything a fancier version does, they are sometimes old versions when the company is coming out with a newer version and they are sometimes beta versions that the company is interested in feedback on.

Whatever you get will be yours -- it just won't be upgradeable. It does have to be downloaded *and* installed today however.

-Marcy
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Giveaways are never trials, they are always the permanent program of whatever is offered. They may be lite versions that don't do everything a fancier version does, they are sometimes old versions when the company is coming out with a newer version and they are sometimes beta versions that the company is interested in feedback on.

Whatever you get will be yours -- it just won't be upgradeable. It does have to be downloaded *and* installed today however.

-Marcy
I disagree, and my experience with the Giveaway of the Day is that, SOMETIMES, they do indeed have only a free trial that lasts a specified number of days.

This has been a very contentious issue at that website, and there have been many complaints.

All I can say is that I have personally experienced it there, and that (also) someone there today reported that the program is only a free trial for 30 days. After that, one must buy the program.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I disagree, and my experience with the Giveaway of the Day is that, SOMETIMES, they do indeed have only a free trial that lasts a specified number of days.

This has been a very contentious issue at that website, and there have been many complaints.

All I can say is that I have personally experienced it there, and that (also) someone there today reported that the program is only a free trial for 30 days. After that, one must buy the program.

Don
I can't speak to today's, having not downloaded it, but I will try. Everything I've ever gotten has been a permanent version.

I will download and install it and see what happens.

-Marcy
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru

It's a registered version, not a free trial. I don't know where #66 got the trial version stuff from. I didn't encounter that anywhere during the download and it comes up as registered to giveawayoftheday.

That being said, I'm still not switching from calibre, which I still ♥. I ♥ it even more with the 0.7 version. But for someone interested in cataloging more than ebooks they might find this handy.

-Marcy
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I installed, it says registered to giveawayoftheday -- but it also has a button to buy a my own license (which tells me, it isn't licensed, at all).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I installed, it says registered to giveawayoftheday -- but it also has a button to buy a my own license (which tells me, it isn't licensed, at all).
Lots of giveaway of the day programs have that, no matter what. It isn't licensed to you individually. I'm assuming that's because they would have to track who got it from giveawayoftheday and therefore wasn't eligible for future upgrades. This way they only have to keep track of one user.

By going to their website I see where #66 got the 30-day thing. If you download from there directly you get a 30-day-trial version.

I can state definitively that you are not getting the 30-day-trial version. I uninstalled the giveawayoftheday one, downloaded the one from the website and installed it. Every time you open that one you are given the 30-day-trial message and if you click on about it says "Unregistered Trial Version, You have 30 day(s) left." QED

Addendum: And everytime you quit the trial version you get a nag screen asking you to register. Not so for the giveawayoftheday version.

-Marcy, now off to uninstall the other version