Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
It sure has been nice to be able to move my purchased Sony eBook store books over to the Nook. Didn't expect to be able to do that, thought I was out of luck and doomed to be stuck on one platform forever. Standards based file formats may be just the thing to increase eBook uptake.
I think you are right here, and it is like DVD vs the HD-DVD/Blu-ray fiasco.

With DVD, you have one file format that everyone competes equally on as a movie publisher. Anyone paying license fees can make a device as well. The customer has things 'just work', despite the presence of DRM because everything uses the one standard.

With HD-DVD and Blu-ray, you had competing formats, studios didn't really know which to pick, and the consumer was either split or simply waited until the fervor died down and one format won. That is if you were even interested in high-resolution movies in the first place.

eBooks are currently facing the second situation. Until one format wins, eBook adoption will be limited by the fractured market.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub is the new standard and Amazon is missing the boat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #18
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
Thanks!

I authorized successfully (had to start ADE first before plugging in the nook as the reverse did not work).

But sharing DRM PDF between my ADE on Windows and the nook nonetheless is not working for me even though my nook is now authorized from ADE on Windows. For example, I copy a DRM PDF which opens fine on ADE on Windows over to "my documents" on the nook, but when I try to "read" it on the nook, I get the nook message "Sorry, unable to open this book"

Any ideas what else I can try?
Does anyone have any idea about why one would get a "Sorry, unable to open this book" message when the same book opens fine under ADE and I've already authorized my nook successfully?
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #19
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
Does anyone have any idea about why one would get a "Sorry, unable to open this book" message when the same book opens fine under ADE and I've already authorized my nook successfully?
Did you copy using ADE or just drag and drop it to your device?

I found with my EZ-Reader you had to use the Adobe Program to make the transfer. Once that was done, you could then copy that book elsewhere if you wanted.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub is the new standard and Amazon is missing the boat.
But Amazon "just works", and if you look around a little, you will see that's not happening here.

In all fairness, I just want to see all of the ereaders thrive, warts and all, and I don't care who makes them. I just don't like people in the ereader community that try to put down others because they aren't like them. This fractured attitude will not help us in the upcoming battles with the book publishers!
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Did you copy using ADE or just drag and drop it to your device?

I found with my EZ-Reader you had to use the Adobe Program to make the transfer. Once that was done, you could then copy that book elsewhere if you wanted.
I just dragged and dropped it to my device. But I just went into ADE and found no way to copy using ADE. Does anyone have any idea how to do that through ADE?
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote