Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #286
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
Well, I am not a PE expert or anything (having only owned one for a week), but I installed allmine and gapps (as per your instructions) on my PE which I had already flashed with A2.2 .. you are wizards!!!!! Market works, Gmail works, everything seems to work great!! My "about edge" says I have a Nexus One running Android ver 2.2, kernel 2.6.34, build Froyo

No probs at all, great job guys, you are winners!!!!!!

Alan
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #287
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
pablob rc2 firmware is a golden ermine with integrated all mine and you can flash in one step. no need to go back to golden dingo.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #288
asnider123
Connoisseur

WOW!!!! Another big PLUS: the PE apparantly has a built-in GPS .. didn't show up until I upgraded with allmine.zip and gapps.zip

Now, when I launch Google Maps, it tracks me ... pretty accurate too Now to figure out how to mount it on my dash, the world's largest GPS LOL
Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #289
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
I don't think it has a GPS. Perhaps you were being tracked via wifi as Google is able to do.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #290
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
I don't think it has a GPS. Perhaps you were being tracked via wifi as Google is able to do.
That's what I was thinking too ???? Either wifi or maybe it's linking by BT to my cell phone. I have disabled both the WIFI and BT on it for the drive back home. It will be interesting to see the results IMHO

Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #291
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnider123 View Post
That's what I was thinking too ???? Either wifi or maybe it's linking by BT to my cell phone. I have disabled both the WIFI and BT on it for the drive back home. It will be interesting to see the results IMHO

Google takes networking information from devices that DO have GPS and uses that to make a map of physical locations based on network information. In other words it may identify an IP address in the traffic routing from a GPS phone as being a MacDonalds restaurant at... 4th and Main. Then that same phone immediately accesses a cell phone tower so Google remembers that the cell tower must be near that MacDonalds.

Then later on when you connect through either that wifi network or that cell tower Google can pinpoint your location as being at or near 4th and Main even though you don't have GPS.

I think you'd fall dead if you knew even a small percentage of the information that Google collects on us all...
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #292
HHH
HHH began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge 10
I upgraded my EE to v1.1.1 (or so) and it seems faster.
All working reasonable well, again.

No market yet of course, but YouTube works....fwiw. Sideloading is OK for me.

However, there is a serious flaw: my usb-ethernet interface is not recognized anymore !!
Really too bad, because my WiFi reception aint that great.

Something missing/misconfigured? At least no response when I plug it in.
It worked perfectly with Dingo.

Have to think about it.....maybe there's info about it somewhere (here or elsewhere).
HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #293
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I know there were USB 3G adapters that quick working after the 2.2 update so this may be a related thing. You have to keep in mind that Entourage never officially released the 2.2 update.. instead it was a beta version they rushed to get out to the public before the company went under.

I suspect that they may not have developed the drivers necessary for USB devices to function properly in 2.2. You may have to revert back to 1.6 to get it to work.

AFAIK no one has developed any fix for this as there aren't many people with this device.. any many fewer that use a USB device at all with theirs.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #294
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH View Post
I upgraded my EE to v1.1.1 (or so) and it seems faster.
All working reasonable well, again.

No market yet of course, but YouTube works....fwiw. Sideloading is OK for me.

However, there is a serious flaw: my usb-ethernet interface is not recognized anymore !!
Really too bad, because my WiFi reception aint that great.

Something missing/misconfigured? At least no response when I plug it in.
It worked perfectly with Dingo.

Have to think about it.....maybe there's info about it somewhere (here or elsewhere).
No market??? I upgraded to Ermine 2.2 and allmine, now I have access to all the google apps as well as the android market. Absolutely cool!!

I can't answer as to the wifi usb adapter, the internal wifi adapter works great, at home, at work, at Mickey-D's, everywhere. However, my PE mounts a usb flash drive just fine, though, with dropbox, I really don't have any reason to use a flashdrive anyway.

The longer I use the PE, the better I like it.

Alan
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #295
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnider123 View Post
No market??? I upgraded to Ermine 2.2 and allmine, now I have access to all the google apps as well as the android market. Absolutely cool!!

The longer I use the PE, the better I like it.

Alan
HHH has an EE (the big one) which, sadly, cannot use the Allmine updates.

I agree with you about the PE!! Just helped my Dad set up a wireless network, immediately logged into it with my PE and showed off!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #296
asnider123
Connoisseur

Weird problem has emerged: now that I upgraded to latest ermine and allmine, my hibernate doesn't appear to work anymore. Tried both closing PE and also using hibernate choice on shutdown menu, in both cases the green light continues to glow solidly. Anyone have an idea how to solve this prob? In the "non-hibernate" mode, the batt doesn't even last a day, remaining closed on my desk. HELP!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #297
asnider123
Connoisseur

Update: It appears it is NOT the new rc3 update that is causing probs with hibernation .. we upgraded 2 PE's (mine and a colleague at work) from my same SDcard .. her PE is hibernating just fine, mine is not. Therefore, I suspect the problem is some other resident program keeping mine active even when it should be hibernating (something I use that she doesn't). Any thoughts as to how to trouble-shoot this and find out what rogue app is preventing proper hibernation? Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #298
webbsk8r
webbsk8r began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Update to PE = Nothing!?@

Hi all - not sure if this is in the right place but I followed the "update your PE" with the Golden Allmine download (+ the gapps) and nothing happened after holding down the Menu and Rotate keys - the reader just booted up normally.

I waited to see if it would go into the update mode after about 5 minutes but it just booted up to the normal screens. I repeated the process at least 3 times.

One thought - could the fact that I switched screens - reader to the right-hand side (easier for me to read this way) but this seems innocent enough.

Any help would be appreciated as I've done this a ton of times with my Pandigital reader. Thanks.
webbsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #299
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsk8r View Post
Hi all - not sure if this is in the right place but I followed the "update your PE" with the Golden Allmine download (+ the gapps) and nothing happened after holding down the Menu and Rotate keys - the reader just booted up normally.

I waited to see if it would go into the update mode after about 5 minutes but it just booted up to the normal screens. I repeated the process at least 3 times.

One thought - could the fact that I switched screens - reader to the right-hand side (easier for me to read this way) but this seems innocent enough.

Any help would be appreciated as I've done this a ton of times with my Pandigital reader. Thanks.
Dont know, it worked fine for me. I placed the update.zip and gapps.zip both in the root of my sdcard. I did notice I held the 2 buttons down until it actually said "updating ..." .. we performed it on 2 PE's, both with success. KKept holding down for one, two, three, four dots, then it finally updated, seemed like a long time. You need to put your PE on a firm surface to make sure both buttons are pushed down.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #300
asnider123
Connoisseur

I modded this a little further .. swapping the internal and external sdcard devices .. after copying all sdcard files into extsdcard. Look at the results: cool man!!