Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
bauer815
bauer815 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
installing new firmware

hi all
is it possible install the upgrade without using a SD card ? how ?
thx
bauer815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer815 View Post
hi all
is it possible install the upgrade without using a SD card ? how ?
thx
Rumor has it that if one is willing to open up the case (thereby voiding the warranty), find the serial port connection points, solder a TTL-to-USB cable (making sure the TTL end never goes above 3.3 volts when operating) to those points and then connecting up the PC to the heavily modified Cybook and running PUTTY on the - turned-on-after-making-the-mods-and-connecting-the-cable - Cybook, one can then cause the underlying Linux OS to "run" the update_kernel file.

I wouldn't try this on a working Cybook which still has its warranty.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
bauer815
bauer815 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
wow ok thats too much for me hehe
i had problems connecting the cybook with a sd card to windows xp (explorer hangs up) but i put the kernel file in a sd card using other device (nokia 5200) and then i switch on the cybook with the sd card and it works so now its all good

sorry for my bad english
thx for the reply!
bauer815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer815 View Post
wow ok thats too much for me hehe
i had problems connecting the cybook with a sd card to windows xp (explorer hangs up) but i put the kernel file in a sd card using other device (nokia 5200) and then i switch on the cybook with the sd card and it works so now its all good

sorry for my bad english
thx for the reply!
Don't feel bad. BTW, has anyone seen a usb-to-SD-card cable which makes the PC's USB port *look* like an SD card to a device???

Derek
Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Don't feel bad. BTW, has anyone seen a usb-to-SD-card cable which makes the PC's USB port *look* like an SD card to a device???

Derek
You mean something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820409001

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not quite. Instead of a *slot* for an SD card, I mean a cable with the shape and contacts *OF* an SD card at one end and a USB plug at the other.

Good idea though.

Derek
Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Im using this:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-.../dp/B000EWI8IK

Works like a charm
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Not really. I was thinking of something which could use the PCs memory as the "SD Card" via the USB port - with a cable that ran to the SD card end.

Derek
Old 05-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Does that exist?

I have been looking for something very simmilar - sw/hw alowing a PC to act as an USB slave device - but without any luck so far.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Does that exist?

I have been looking for something very simmilar - sw/hw alowing a PC to act as an USB slave device - but without any luck so far.
On the Nokia N810 the USB controller can work in either host mode or slave mode. You change that in Linux by just writing a string to a proc file. So I assume that should be possible on ordinary computers also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not quite. Instead of a *slot* for an SD card, I mean a cable with the shape and contacts *OF* an SD card at one end and a USB plug at the other.
So you could connect one of those guys I pointed you to the end of a USB extension cable and get there. Not sure if your going to find just a cable with an integral card reader at one end.

It's nice to have a card reader on my laptop. I just slide the card in an do-doot (supposed to be the windows device recongnize sound), it mounts.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Not really. I was thinking of something which could use the PCs memory as the "SD Card" via the USB port - with a cable that ran to the SD card end.

Derek
Hi Derek,

Memory Card Reader 26 X 1 - Multilaser LC15200

I had the card reader, comes with USB cable 1 mt, supports 26 types of cards.

I sold the reader bought the MicroMate (usb adapter) of Scandisk.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Hi Derek,

Memory Card Reader 26 X 1 - Multilaser LC15200

I had the card reader, comes with USB cable 1 mt, supports 26 types of cards.

I sold the reader bought the MicroMate (usb adapter) of Scandisk.
Thanks for the input. No, I was thinking of something which hooked the PC's USB port *DIRECTLY* to the Cybook's SD card slot - and allowed a directory to function/emulate "sd card memory". Big difference in approach.

Derek
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Thanks for the input. No, I was thinking of something which hooked the PC's USB port *DIRECTLY* to the Cybook's SD card slot - and allowed a directory to function/emulate "sd card memory". Big difference in approach.

Derek
I mean, you transform your desktop (HD) in a large memory card!

What purpose?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote