Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Problems Powering Vox On

Whoa! I got a bit of a fright this morning.

Last night, my Vox died because I thought it was 'off', but it was really 'sleeping' - so I couldn't turn it on - so I just immediately charged it overnight.

When I went to turn it on this morning, no blinking light! So I held it down a bit longer - no blinking light! Plugged it in, and then tried - no blinking light!

I thought it was busted!!! I started to panic!!!

Then I unplugged it and tried again - nothing. Then plugged it back in and tried again - SUCCESS!!!!

This does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy! Now I have some other problems this morning (my library disappeared - see other post of mine) - not sure if they are related.

Anyone else ever have problems powering the Vox back on???
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Many people have, pokee. Most of the time the 10 second thing with the power button, followed by a normal press of it takes care of it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Oh, okay - phew, thanks! That's the first time it's happened to me and I thought the button was busted, or something!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

James has said that there are two major things the update concentrates on, one is this issue, the other is the video difficulties.

Last edited by taming; 11-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
James has said that there are two major things the update concentrates on, one is this issue, the other is the video difficulties.
Actually - no. I think the issue being addressed in the update is the Vox not waking up from a sleep and 'freezing' - which requires a hard reset.

THIS issue was the Vox was TURNED OFF, and it took several tries to be powered back on again. At least, that was my issue - and it happened to me for the first time this morning. It took me several attempts and different things (like plugging it back in, unplugging it, holding the power button for a long time, tapping it for a couple of seconds, etc - before it would turn back on). The simple 'hard reset' did not work for this issue - it was a bit of trial and error.

The other issue (regarding trying to wake up from a sleep, freezing and requiring a hard reset) is quite different - and it has happened to me almost every day since I've owned this thing...

Last edited by pokee; 11-18-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You may be right, however, my sense was that all of those power issues are being looked at with an eye to improving them in the next release.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
The other issue (regarding trying to wake up from a sleep, freezing and requiring a hard reset) is quite different - and it has happened to me almost every day since I've owned this thing...
Could you clarify for me just what you are referring to as a "hard reset".

Do you mean "Hold power button for 10 seconds, release, then quick press to turn on."
or
"While holding volume up button, press and hold power button"?

Holding the power button for 10 seconds is actually a "forced shutdown".

If you do this with the Vox is running normally, you will see the normal shutdown dialog and then at about 8 or 9 seconds a dialog saying "Shutting Down"

I'm just trying to get a clear picture of exactly what you are experiencing to see if it parallels what happens on my Vox.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
That is my impression of of "hard reset" as well -- holding down the power button (for on or off) to force a reboot (as opposed to sleep mode).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
Could you clarify for me just what you are referring to as a "hard reset".

Do you mean "Hold power button for 10 seconds, release, then quick press to turn on."
or
"While holding volume up button, press and hold power button"?

Holding the power button for 10 seconds is actually a "forced shutdown".

If you do this with the Vox is running normally, you will see the normal shutdown dialog and then at about 8 or 9 seconds a dialog saying "Shutting Down"

I'm just trying to get a clear picture of exactly what you are experiencing to see if it parallels what happens on my Vox.

Larry
I refer to the hard reset as holding the power button down for 10 seconds when the Vox freezes after sleeping. I get no messages when I do this...simply turns it off, so I can turn it back on again with no sleep freeze....
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Pokee,

What I have been doing for the whole doesn't wake from sleep thing is this.

First, I installed the Advanced Wifi Lock and set it for NEVER TURN WIFI OFF.
This worked pretty well, hardly any freezes, but enough to be annoying.

Now I have amended that so that I turn WIFI off myself before putting to sleep.

I put the POWER CONTROL widget on the main screen of my desktop and just tap it to turn off when I put the Vox to sleep and again when I wake it up.

This works pretty well. I have actually had days where I did NOT have a freeze. Most of the time the WIFI picks up the AP with which I was connected, assuming I am still in the same location.

You could try this until the update rolls out.

Larry
Old 11-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
Pokee,

What I have been doing for the whole doesn't wake from sleep thing is this.

First, I installed the Advanced Wifi Lock and set it for NEVER TURN WIFI OFF.
This worked pretty well, hardly any freezes, but enough to be annoying.

Now I have amended that so that I turn WIFI off myself before putting to sleep.

I put the POWER CONTROL widget on the main screen of my desktop and just tap it to turn off when I put the Vox to sleep and again when I wake it up.

This works pretty well. I have actually had days where I did NOT have a freeze. Most of the time the WIFI picks up the AP with which I was connected, assuming I am still in the same location.

You could try this until the update rolls out.

Larry
Where is the power control widget and how do you put it on the main screen? I've lost count of the number of these things I've had today. I mean, it just happened again a few minutes ago.

Is this the power control of this Advanced Wi Fi lock? If this is an app, where did you get it?

Thanks!
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
larrymohr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Where is the power control widget and how do you put it on the main screen? I've lost count of the number of these things I've had today. I mean, it just happened again a few minutes ago.

Is this the power control of this Advanced Wi Fi lock? If this is an app, where did you get it?

Thanks!
The power control widget comes with the Vox.
While on the home screen tap and hold until a dialog titled "Add to Home Screen" pops up.
Tap Widgets.
Scroll through all the widgets until you get to "Power Control".
Tap and the dialog closes and you will have a new widget on the home screen.
The three buttons on the widget are WIFI ON/OFF, SYNC ON/OFF and BRIGHTNESS which toggles through several settings.

I keep mine on the main home screen.

You can try here for The Advance WIFI Lock FREE
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...65313622971488

Just click on the big Blue Download button.

This is at a site called Android Community for developers but they host a lot of free apps

Be aware however that the site is a little flaky as far as response. If it doesn't seem to be responding try refreshing your browser.

If the link above doesn't work try
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/
which is the home page.
Then click on one of the sample apps to get the download section. Once there you can search for "advanced wifi lock" and it will eventually get you there.

Larry

ps. if the links don't work the first time just try a little (5mins) later.

LJ
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Larry. I've got the app, bookmarked the site, too.

Also figured out how to change the wallpaper, I've now got some really nice swirly galaxy thing going on there. (That ought to suck the battery power, LOL!)

I'm going to monitor how this freezing thing goes.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
49Kat
Fanatic

Well, so far the only freeze I've had today was when I manually put the Vox into sleep mode while leaving the Advanced Wi Fi Lock on and then I tried to wake it up. The Vox was not charging at the time.

Since then, I've either left the Wi Fi off unless I needed it and/or made a point of shutting off the Wi Fi before putting it into sleep mode. No freezes on waking up.

It has occurred to me that likely all of us have been installing several apps in a very short period of time. With my Windows computers, I normally would not install a lot of new stuff on them in a very short time, I would see how a new program worked first and let things settle down before putting on a new program. I tend to baby my computers, and I haven't really been that considerate of my Vox. Maybe part of our issues with Vox's comes from doing a lot in a short time. Maybe not, just a thought...
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The only time I had a sleep problem was after I had had a failure with an apk install. I knew it had failed (got a message in the process) but I did not know that it had left behind the part of the apk that had NOT failed. When I deleted that in applications, I was good to go.

I keep a little change log, btw, so I can remember the order in which I installed things.