Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Arrow Review: Samsung Galaxy Tab

http://computershopper.com/laptops/r...sprint-version
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
$600 for a 7"/5 hours battery life Tab, compared to the 10"/10+ hours battery life iPad....

And with 16x9 screen.

Duh.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
great. thinking of getting this as my K3 went dead (only after a week using), and i really need a smartphone right now.

the main issue is that i have no idea what is the practicality of a 7" device as a main phone. i hope it is doable.
fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
great. thinking of getting this as my K3 went dead (only after a week using), and i really need a smartphone right now.

the main issue is that i have no idea what is the practicality of a 7" device as a main phone. i hope it is doable.
I don't think the US versions are phones, but I think the European ones are. If what you need is a phone, there are other great androids out there with 4.3" screens. They're probably easier to hold on to also.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
A 7" phone may be doable for a person carrying a bag or purse, wearing a business suit, or cargo pants. Otherwise forget it, especially since the bezel on the Tab is so wide. 5" is most practical for a phone.

But what really stinks about Android is that it is encrypted VPN. It is a real pain to get OpenVPN to work and PPTP does not work when encrypted. Google knows this problem for over one year and has not taken care of it. That problem greatly affects business uses and streaming. Really sucks when traveling to certain countries, too.

And I would agree with Sonist, the Tab just seems to be much too expensive for a what they offer.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-30-2010 at 02:03 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The European versions are not phones either. Carriers are trying to use these tablets to sell secondary data plans. €800 ($1050) is what a free (non-bound) Galaxy Tab costs in Europe. Is this thing really selling???
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Asian version work as phones I bought one for my sister but did not get to play with it as the person taking it home for me was leaving the next day.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
This thing is too spendy. Not worth the money for my needs. That's why I went with the Nook Color. It's a better valued Android tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A 7" phone may be doable for a person carrying a bag or purse, wearing a business suit, or cargo pants. Otherwise forget it, especially since the bezel on the Tab is so wide. 5" is most practical for a phone.

But what really stinks about Android is that it is encrypted VPN. It is a real pain to get OpenVPN to work and PPTP does not work when encrypted. Google knows this problem for over one year and has not taken care of it. That problem greatly affects business uses and streaming. Really sucks when traveling to certain countries, too.

And I would agree with Sonist, the Tab just seems to be much too expensive for a what they offer.
I'm using my Galaxy Tab quite frequently as a phone.
Surprisingly, reception is way better than on iPhone4 (both using the very same provider, same Multi-SIM).
I'm using Tab via speaker of course. Even in the hotel, when no one is watching, I'd feel quite stupid, holding that 7" unit to my ear.

Personally, I favor Tab to iPad.
Last week, on Tab, in the hotel I've done for example:
Downloading a movie and a TV episode from the usenet. Directly on the Tab, no jailbreak or anything like that needed. I've unrared, again directly on the unit. And I've watched the DivX movies without any problems.
I've downloaded in the background of course, while multi-tasking.

I clearly prefer 16:9 over 4:3.
I do so for my eBook readers as well, love the form factor of Sony 900 for example.

I don't have any problem with the price point of Galaxy Tab.
I mainly compare to iPad, iPhone4 and Dell Streak.
Dell Streak was € 600, Galaxy Tab was € 700.
If Galaxy tab is overpriced, Dell Streak is even more so (given the smaller display).
In my opinion though, all those prices perfectly are in line and totally make sense.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
$600 for a 7"/5 hours battery life Tab, compared to the 10"/10+ hours battery life iPad....

And with 16x9 screen.

Duh.
Personally, I prefer 16:9 over 4:3. Way closer to book formats for example.

And personally, I don't experience any significant difference in battery duration of iPad to Galaxy Tab. I have to charge both every single day (when using them, which I didn't for iPad for the last 2 months).
And if I compare battery duration to iPhone4, Galaxy Tab even would be benchmark ;-).
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
The European versions are not phones either. Carriers are trying to use these tablets to sell secondary data plans. €800 ($1050) is what a free (non-bound) Galaxy Tab costs in Europe. Is this thing really selling???
It's € 700 without a data plan in German Media Markt. It's sold out most of the time, but of course I have no idea, what this means in total figures.
Media Markt 1 hour ago told me, they sell 3 times more Galaxy Tabs than they sell iPads. Their statement: The run on iPads quickly faded a few months ago, there's huge demand for cameras and USB in the meantime.

In Germany, I see more Galaxy Tabs on the street than iPads. But that's basically 5 units vs. 3 units or something like that (still surprisingly rare on the streets)...
Samsung claims, having sold 600.000 units in the first month. This I can believe, given the feedback I receive and the discussions I've had. This figure would be close to iPad (6m units vs. 10m units in year 1). Certainly a huge success for Samsung. Especially in synergy to their range of smartphones. And given the huge portion of parts they manufacture themselves, profitability should be as high as Apple's.

I see one advantage of iPad though: Stability of the OS.
I don't think, iPad ever has crashed on me.
My Android Tabs (Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak as well) crash maybe once or twice per day. Meaning, the respective application hangs and I kill it manually. I'm pretty sure, that's neither Dell's nor Samsung's "fault", but lies in the OS.
Theoretically, I'd prefer Android over iOS, considering openness and features. But for now, iOS seems more "mature".

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-30-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Thanks for the review, but I wish I had never read it. I wanted the Tab before, and now I want it even more. I don't know if I have the willpower to wait much longer.

I'm waiting for when they have a wifi version out since I can't see adding another monthly charge with Sprint and I have an Evo which I love for a phone.

I've always felt the iPad was way too big and if they had come out with one about half the size I would have jumped onboard. The Tab seems to be the perfect size for me, and even the OS is fine, with an Android phone already.

I've wanted a Tab since I first started seeing announcements and articles about it and the only thing that kept me from being in line the first day it came out was the 2 year plan required. So I wait, and wait.........

Wish there were more news on when a wifi version is coming out so I at least know how long I have to wait.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
fyrogenesis
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
I don't think the US versions are phones, but I think the European ones are. If what you need is a phone, there are other great androids out there with 4.3" screens. They're probably easier to hold on to also.
I am Asian, so the Tab here does phone as well.

@mgmueller
Does the reader (Kobo) in Tab supported dictionary lookup feature? like in the ipad? it was the most crucial feature for me.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
I am Asian, so the Tab here does phone as well.

@mgmueller
Does the reader (Kobo) in Tab supported dictionary lookup feature? like in the ipad? it was the most crucial feature for me.
I'm not using the standalone Kobo app, but the one coming pre-installed in the readers hub.
It doesn't seem to have dictionary support. I can't highlight any words. If I try to do so, it only shows a windows, giving the title of the chapter and some further details.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
fyrogenesis
Undead

oh dear. any other android apps with lookup feature? i read classics, so format doesn't matter much.

if no such apps, i have to remove the Tab from my wishlist.