Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you like to listen to when reading?
I don't enjoy listening to music when I read 33 48.53%
Classical 19 27.94%
Zen/Meditaion 7 10.29%
Nature Sounds 9 13.24%
Jazz 6 8.82%
Popular music (Rock, Country, Pop, etc.) 6 8.82%
Talk radio 0 0%
Other: Please tell us! 13 19.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #31
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
[QUOTE=Katsunami;2773339]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
^^^This exactly. I can hear the hum of virtually anything electric, and it all drives me mad.

Several times, I've tried to replace my old Vintage 2007 19 inch Eizo monitor with a newer model, but they all went back. I've tried two other Eizo's and a Dell, and they all hum when set below 100% brightness (where 100% will positively burn your eyes out).

Some time ago, I did some fairly tedious work from home, and at one time, I put up the Lord of the Rings CD's. After some time, I couldn't actually do that work anymore without putting up specifically that music.

Now I know the music so well that I actually "hear" the music when reading LotR; with each scene having the appropriate movie tune...
^^^^^
THIS!!!!
Before I had my iPod, I burned out two CD's of Howard Shore's "Fellowship" score just from moving back and forth between players and my truck. Every time I reread LotR, the score plays as I read, especially "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum".
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You know there are two more cd's, and also The Complete Recordings, which is basically the entire movie (the soundtrack) on cd?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #33
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You know there are two more cd's, and also The Complete Recordings, which is basically the entire movie (the soundtrack) on cd?
Sure do. Got'em all, however the "Fellowship of the Ring" score captivated me. I bought the cd before the movie came out and the music completely enthralled me. The other two cds and the Complete Recordings, while enjoyable, never seemed to have tbe same effect on me as the first. It remains my favorite go to non lyrical album to this day.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
It remains my favorite go to non lyrical album to this day.
The LotR music was very well done. Even as a huge LotR/Tolkien fan, I can say that the movies were done very well as well. (As long as you're not comparing them 1:1 with the books.)

If I'm in doubt what music I should listen to, I just start with the three LotR CD's at the top, and enqueue the rest of my albums on on "Shuffle Album". Sometimes, on a free day, I just enqueue the three Complete Recordings, for 9-10 hours or so of LotR music.

I've been known to have the LotR movies playing in the background, with the TV turned off, as a "music replacement". So yeah, call me weird. Fanatical. Anything.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #35
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
The LOTR film score is fabulous for reading. The Narnia ones are very good, too. But I always think of the LOTR movies when I hear parts of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9. There's also a bit of "Jaws" in there and probably several other movies.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #36
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I've been known to have the LotR movies playing in the background, with the TV turned off, as a "music replacement". So yeah, call me weird. Fanatical. Anything.
I'll do this at work sometimes as well. I know the dialog to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and all three real "Star Wars" movies as well as LotR, so I don't get distracted as I "watch" the movies through my headphones.
It's like comfort food for your ears. Lol.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #37
CBG
CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Libra
Jeff Beal's soundtracks - in particular those of "Jesse Stone" and "House of Cards" are superb and ideal For reading. Now added to my eReader-only-Mp3-player.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #38
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I usually don't listen to music when I read. However, sometimes I'll listen to instrumental music.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Some Poulenc is playing in the background as I write this.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
You Really Got Me (Kinks) is playing as I write this
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #41
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I don't listen to music when I read. It's too distracting.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #42
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I don't listen to music when I read. It's too distracting.
This. Music is too intrusive, although I can have the tv on - it's less distracting, for some reason. I love music, and it gets into my head if I am listening to it, and takes me out of the world I'm reading about.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #43
Junnier
avant l'heure
Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junnier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't actively try to listen to much of anything when I'm reading -- I just find a perch and let the world go on around me. If that involves somebody turning on the radio or the television, I'm unlikely to bat an eye at it. I have a tendency to tune almost everything out when I read (except my own hunger!).
Junnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #44
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
Yes. Instrumental classical music. I'm with those who think music is a way of shutting up the outside world (even when perfectly silent) and focusing on the text.
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote