Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Losing Annotations--warning

I just learnt an expensive lesson in losing annotations on the PRS-700. If you update the tag on one of your books using Calibre and then reload them to your PRS-700, you will lose the annotations associated with that book.

So far, I have not found a satisfactory way to manage annotations on the PRS-700. Annotations are the primary reason I bought the PRS-700 over other readers. I'm still looking for a way to link annotations to a book even when that book is re-loaded back to the PRS-700. Has anyone found a way to solve this problem yet?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
if the book is taken off it will delete annotations.

you can go into the database(folder on the root of the reader) and manually back up the annotations, though i dont know the exact path now. go look. there arent that many folders.

drag and drop the book to the reader, and dont use the sync
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I can find the books, no problem and the annotations. The thing was I didn't know that changing the tags in Calibre and then re-uploading the book would delete the book in PRS-700. I thought it would just modify the tags.

I'm wondering if the old annotations work with the newly uploaded book.

I'm using Calibre, not Sony's.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well calibre is funky.

if its the same LRF file it should work just fine, but who knows what calibre does in this situation.

i would post this in the calibre forum, as this isnt a sony problem.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I just learnt an expensive lesson in losing annotations on the PRS-700. If you update the tag on one of your books using Calibre and then reload them to your PRS-700, you will lose the annotations associated with that book.

So far, I have not found a satisfactory way to manage annotations on the PRS-700. Annotations are the primary reason I bought the PRS-700 over other readers. I'm still looking for a way to link annotations to a book even when that book is re-loaded back to the PRS-700. Has anyone found a way to solve this problem yet?
The solution to that problem is to use eBook Library to manage your collections. That way, when you do want an eBook already loaded to be moved into a collection, you can do so without losing annotations.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Okay, I'll ask the moderators to move this to Calibre
Actually, can someone help? I don't know how to contact the moderator(s).

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 04-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
i will move this for you.

i also have a suggestion, which i've not personally tried so i'm not sure it will work.

presumably, when you send a book to the device using calibre it includes some info in the meta data about when the book was uploaded (so that you can sort by date). this probably makes the 700 see it as a different book.

however, you can modify tags while the book is on the device through the calibre interface ; just connect your 700, display the contents in calibre by clicking on the picture of it (next to the library view), then double click the tag field.

you would have to update the book twice (in the reader, and in the library view) however it's possible that this will keep all notes associated with the book on the reader. try it out and let us know if that works.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, can someone help? I don't know how to contact the moderator(s).
if you want a thread moved, just click on the "report post" button, and in the message ask to move the thread to the forum you want. that way, whichever mod is online will see it and move it for you.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if you want a thread moved, just click on the "report post" button, and in the message ask to move the thread to the forum you want. that way, whichever mod is online will see it and move it for you.
Thanks! When I clicked on the "report post" icon (which looks like an exclamation mark) it said I should only use that feature to report posts that are trollish in nature etc. I wouldn't want to condemn myself that way...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Thanks! When I clicked on the "report post" icon (which looks like an exclamation mark) it said I should only use that feature to report posts that are trollish in nature etc. I wouldn't want to condemn myself that way...
hee ! yes, that is the main use for it. but it's also a very handy way of contacting the moderator team for administrative reasons. you can use it to report spam as well if you see any.