Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Cathy W
Cathy W began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Bebook problem

Hi,

I have just received my new Bebook and I really like the look of it. I have fully charged it and put on a few of the free books from the Bebook website which I downloaded in PDF on my Mac and transferred easily onto the Bebook. However, the Bebook not only shows the books that I have put on but there are also duplicates, all of 82mb, with slightly different looking titles. It looks as if they are back ups but I cannot open them on the Bebook. When I connect it up to the Mac, they are not there - does anyone know how I can remove them from the Bebook?
Cathy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy W View Post
does anyone know how I can remove them from the Bebook?
I thought the BeBook had built in file management? Is there a way to delete the books from the device?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
rickp
rickp began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
I've seen this. Its the way the Mac deals with resource forks/metadata on files when copied over to a MS-DOS based filesystem.

The way I delete them is from Terminal.app - sorry, I don't know of a way to stop OSX creating those files.

It would be better if the BeBook just ignore files that start '._' in its listing.

Rick

Last edited by rickp; 09-10-2008 at 04:30 PM.
rickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Cathy W

Thanks for your response. Does anyone with a Mac have any clues as to how to remove these files from the Bebook? As I say, they do not appear anywhere other than on the Bebook and although the files are very small (8B, I think), they are just annoying.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks for your response. Does anyone with a Mac have any clues as to how to remove these files from the Bebook? As I say, they do not appear anywhere other than on the Bebook and although the files are very small (8B, I think), they are just annoying.
The message above said he used terminal. I assume he cds to the Kindle mount drive and rm them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think this is a case where BeBook should hide these files for you, but there are lots of methods (or lots of versions of the same method) to make hidden files visible via the Finder. I don't have a Mac to test it with but, for example, see InVisibles 1.5 (99 kB).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I've a Mac, and I use the free utility Hidden Cleaner to solve the problem.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #8
Cathy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
I've a Mac, and I use the free utility Hidden Cleaner to solve the problem.
It works! I'm a very happy person - thanks for the tip!!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
It works! I'm a very happy person - thanks for the tip!!
You're welcome
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote