Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #61
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Boy, what a dilemma. I agree with Coldsun and Jack, Android was originally designed and released for phones. I also agree with GreenMonkey, that most apps work and look fine on the NC. Bottom line, I guess, is buy whatever works for you.

Side note to Belle2Be: All LCDs are not created equal. IPS screens (which the NOOKcolor has) have much better resolution than TN or TFT screens, which I believe the MacBooks have.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #62
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I don't know. Every app I've tried on the Nook color, that wasn't a chintzy free game, works at full screen and seems to take advantage of the resolution pretty well.

Standard google apps like Gmail work great on the big screen.

Trillian, Pandora, Last.fm, Winamp beta, all work great on the big screen. Even the endgadget app works well (although on the big screen I find I prefer the real website in DolphinHD).

Even some chintzy free Disney puzzle apps I put my 3 yr old to doing on it work great on the NC.

I really don't find anything that doesn't work well on the big screen. Maybe if you scrape the Market for old apps. Everything I use on a regular basis scales to the NC resolution fine.

I mean, please, name me a few apps that only run at subpar cellphone rez. I haven't seen one, minus a few freeware game apps.
I think that was exactly the point I was trying to make. I used to think exactly like Jack about Android, and once I took the time to play with it more began to feel the opposite.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #63
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I admit that I too like to tinker. Probably not even in the same league as coldsun though. At this stage of tablet technology the rooted NC may appeal more to tinkers than readers. That said I have 4 Eink readers and do most of my reading on my NC. Each reader has advantages and disadvantages. Part of what I like about the NC is due to the hacking (even if I'm not talented enough to be a leader there I can at least follow). Eventually what is being hacked today will be standard tomorrow. {If you remember back to the early days of Microsoft, their OS was designed to run in 1 MB - note that Mega not Giga - but they evolved.} Android will evolve as the hardware evolves.

Part of what some people see as hard with rooting their NC is that there are many variables and this is confusing but it also allows versatility. Eventually (and it is pretty close already) the whole rooting process will become almost (if not entirely) a plug & play procedure. My hardest part was getting Softkeys setup properly. Well actually the hardest part was that my first NC had an internal problem but once B&N replaced it the rooting went easily but Softkeys was confusing. Thanks to a post from the XDA site, the confusion was solved. Now I'm as happy as a pig rooting under a hicory tree.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #64
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I really don't find anything that doesn't work well on the big screen. Maybe if you scrape the Market for old apps. Everything I use on a regular basis scales to the NC resolution fine.

I mean, please, name me a few apps that only run at subpar cellphone rez. I haven't seen one, minus a few freeware game apps.
I agree. I was expecting it to be hard to find usable apps.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #65
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post

Side note to Belle2Be: All LCDs are not created equal. IPS screens (which the NOOKcolor has) have much better resolution than TN or TFT screens, which I believe the MacBooks have.
Ah interesting! And the better resolution helps reduce eye strain?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #66
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Ah interesting! And the better resolution helps reduce eye strain?
in a way yes, the better the resolution the sharper the detail.
If starting out for the first time the best way to reduce eyestrain on all LCD ereaders is to lower the brightness settings and change the color of the background and ease your way into it.

for example when I first started on my Nook color I had the brightness at about 20% and I used the gray background and then used the 'night" background for low lighting and reading in the dark. I found this to be wonderful

I'm still shocked at how easily I made the transition from eink to LCD for long reading sessions. If you would have asked back in September I would have been in the anti LCD camp Pro eink all the way.

but not anymore.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #67
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Belle2Be, I was surprised at how easy it is to read on the NC. That was one of my concerns. For example my eyes hurt after a few minutes of just playing with the iPad at the store. The NC is quite impressive compared to similar devices. You might be surprised that it might be ok for you. I also turn the brightness low and adjust background color as boswd recommends.

gtriever, my MacBook Pro has a TN screen, and I don't think Apple is using IPS in their newest models either.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #68
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I'm still shocked at how easily I made the transition from eink to LCD for long reading sessions. If you would have asked back in September I would have been in the anti LCD camp Pro eink all the way.
Yep, exact same sentiment here. I was very pro-eink when I got my Kindle 3 late last year. I believe I have some older posts lambasting LCD screens on ereaders!

But I absolutely love my NC. Even if I didn't have the opportunity to root it, with all the fun of hacking a new toy, I still consider the NC superior to my Kindle 3 with the exception of the battery life (and to a lesser extent reading in direct, bright sunlight).
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #69
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I agree. I was expecting it to be hard to find usable apps.
Yeah. I expected that it would be like when the ipad first came out - quite a few ridiculous looking tiny apps on a big screen.

I think Android's 'fragmentation' actually helped. Since Android was already running on so many different phone resolutions, the NC wasn't a problem.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote