Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #106
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratzzo View Post
here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0627414&sr=1-1

To select numbers you have to press the Symbol Key (Sym) and select it with the 5-way (page 15/16 and 27/28 at the manual)

[EDIT]

And Alt-key is also possible (page 144):

[/EDIT]

Bratzzo
Thanks. I'm tempted again. Alt + top row ain't bad.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #107
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I have to admit, I'm seriously wanting this.

The only thing I really want that it doesn't do at this point is cross-pdf search (search all pdfs for a given term).

Plus I'd have to look at the scientific journal pdfs to see if they are readable on the tiny screen turned sideways.

But boy, better contrast + better web browser + wifi when available (like, at home) + highlight and annotate pdfs.... very tasty.

And for 180$ (well, 220 with cover--but I don't need the cover with light--wouldn't work for me for reading in bed anyway because I rest the Kindle on the side the light pokes out of.) That is a nice price.

Can't afford it right now; lovely Kindle 2 is perfectly good; ponder, ponder....
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #108
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The more I think about it, the more it seems that Amazon is trying to force the device to use WiFi when a connection is available in order to save on 3G costs. The more 3G we all use, the greater the bill Amazon has to pay. I'm really surprised they did not do away with 3G web browsing, other than to Amazon.com, a long time ago. From a business stand point that would make a lot of sense. But if they can force the devices to use WiFi when it is available, they will save on 3G costs. I would sure hate to see book prices or Kindle prices go up because Amazon's 3G bill goes through the roof. So I think their WiFi strategy is a good one. I also think WiFi will be many times faster than 3G, at least from my experience with AT&T 3G in my area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
I think it's a good policy (use wifi where available), however, the confusing wording on the website for international users makes me think they are killing 3G web browsing completely, replacing it with Wifi.

I'm not going to be doing heavy-duty surfing on a Kindle, but I would like to have it in an emergency. In fact, I wouldn't mind them charging for 3G use outside of Kindle Store and Wikipedia, as long as it's per use and the rates are kept low. Of course, if I was paying for it, I'd expect higher speeds.
Another reason: power savings. 3G, at least in phones, is notoriously more power hungry than WiFi. Couple that with the fact that WiFi is generally going to be much faster than 3G and there's some compelling reasons to have one preferred over the other.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote