Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
nheimberg
nheimberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Free Kindle Book From Amazon

Reiffen's Choice (Kindle Edition) http://www.amazon.com/Reiffens-Choic...1334213&sr=1-1
by S. C. Butler
Editorial Reviews
From School Library Journal
Grade 7-10–As the exiled heir to thrones in two kingdoms, Reiffen lives under constant threat of danger from his uncle, King Brannis, who wants to keep his lineage a secret. The 12-year-old prince is faced with an even greater threat, however, when he is kidnapped by a trio of wizards who plan to place him on the throne as their puppet. Subjected to both magical and psychological methods of persuasion, Reiffen must choose whether or not he will be a willing participant in the wizards' scheme. His rescuers, consisting of a dwarf, a shape-shifting bear, and two childhood friends, must travel through the cavernous underground world of the dwarves to reach him. Planned as a trilogy, this first novel is ambitious in its scale, but falls short of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings epic that obviously inspired it. The story is full of hard-to-pronounce names of people and places. The explanation of Reiffen's exile comes too late, and background mythology that would have eased confusion is not fleshed out enough. Instead, too many details are included about the scenery and, as a result, the adventure is often bogged down by description. This book has enough action, imagination, and witty repartee between characters to hold the interest of readers who give it a chance, but they will undoubtedly be frustrated with its many incongruities.–Emily Rodriguez, Alachua County Library District, Gainesville, FL
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Product Description
Not until he came out of the trees did Reiffen realize this wasn-t a pasture like the ones back home. Halfway up the slope a circle of tall white stones rose ominously from the lush green of the grass, like the tips of some great and terrible claw buried deep beneath the meadow....
Reiffen, only twelve years old, is the true heir to the thrones of both Wayland and Banking. He and his friends Avender and Ferris live in a magical world of talking animals, dwarves, and shape-shifting bears but-he lives with the shame of knowing that no one will ever let him rule these kingdoms, that their crowns will bring him nothing but betrayal and sorrow-and that he is powerless. Reiffen will have only a short life of child-s innocence, a brief respite from the trial of impossible adult responsibility, the trial of attempting to finish a task he can never complete.
nheimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This was a free book from TOR a few weeks ago.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
This was free on Amazon a couple of week ago too and has been discussed here.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
But since I, at least, didn't notice it being discussed before, this is news to me. Not sure if it is my style of book, but Thank You for bringing it to my attention!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Tor seems to be releasing their free books on Amazon around the same time they're going out to people on the list. I don't think is the first Tor free title to end up free on Amazon.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yea! Bought my first Kindle book. Sure, it was free, and I have it in Mobi format on my home PC. But still my first Kindle book!

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Also bought _Made to Stick_. Another freebee. Gee, this is fun. But, I'm in trouble once I run out of $0.00 books.

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
That one is only the intro -- a bit of a teaser. I liked the intro though!

P.S. you can also pre-download SAMPLES from books you like. Then when your Kindle arrives, you'll have a bunch to read (and lots of temptation to buy, if you like the samples)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That one is only the intro -- a bit of a teaser. I liked the intro though!

P.S. you can also pre-download SAMPLES from books you like. Then when your Kindle arrives, you'll have a bunch to read (and lots of temptation to buy, if you like the samples)
Good point. However, I have a book I got from Fictionwise (to test try my hand at converting). And I several of the TOR freebees. However, I have been wanting to start on the Alex Cross novels by Patterson, so those we probably be some of my first buys.

I really wanted a reader that supported Mobi, but I just couldn't see buying the CyBook. I can read Mobi's will Kindle but I am pretty sure I will end up buying Kindle books rather than Mobi books since it will be so easy and the prices generally look the best at the Kindle store.

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
I LOVE the Alex Cross novels! I love the Women's Murder Club ones too. Hell I just really like James Patterson. Despite all the violence to women that is done in his books.

I have all of the James Patterson books in DRM-Mobi format from Fictionwise though.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea! Bought my first Kindle book. Sure, it was free, and I have it in Mobi format on my home PC. But still my first Kindle book!

BOb
Do you now own a Kindle? if so, it doesn't show in your profile.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you now own a Kindle? if so, it doesn't show in your profile.
Just ordered it yesterday... should be delivered to my office tommorow. Since I don't have it "in hand" so to speak I haven't yet added it to my profile.

BOb
Old 05-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
I LOVE the Alex Cross novels! I love the Women's Murder Club ones too. Hell I just really like James Patterson. Despite all the violence to women that is done in his books.
Yes, the WMC are on my virtual "to read" list also. My introduction to Patterson was with _The Lake House_ and I just recently read all four Maximum Ride books.

Thanks...
BOb