Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #16
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
New customer Here

After the run around I have gotten from Sony trying to get them to ship the reader, I can't wait to get a Cybook. Plus, I like the fact they support mobipocker and I LOVE this part:
Quote:
“On the Cybook, you don't need to convert your files to an exotic format or upload them to any proprietary web site. You simply transfer your files directly to the device and read them natively” said Laurent Picard, co-founder of Bookeen.
That is totally sweet!!

I am just going to cancel the order on my Reader and wait a few more months for the Cybook. I will pay $350 for it. Sony can eat my dust.

Last edited by Lov2Read; 07-26-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While all of you Cybook owners are using DRM based MobiPocket formatted books, I'll stick with my DRM free LRF books. Of course, if I had a device that uses MobiPocket, I'd also have DRM free books for that too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Bookeen supports the reading of PDF, HTML, RTF, TXT and Mobipocket. Yes, that means all 50,000 ebook titles currently available from Mobi will be accessible to the Cybook Gen3.
OooOOOOooooo! (to quote Les Nesman.) That means that, since ePub is HTML-based, you can add ePub e-books to it in the future (with maybe a bit of conversion work). Nice!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, you do know that Digital Editions books will be filled with this horrible thing called DRM. So good luck going DE to HTML.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

if MobiPocket on the Cybook Gen3 has dictionary support, does that mean it will have hyphenation support as well?
Advert
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #21
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Quick question - Palm format? .pdb?
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Palm format is .prc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Quick question - Palm format? .pdb?
Although I don't doubt that somewhere along the line, support for Palm .pdb and other formats will probably be worked in. I'd like to see FB2 format, and if it is *NOT* proprietary, I wonder if we can't somehow shoehorn in support for LRF. I'll have to ask.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #23
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
reading .epub

First, of all, yippee! I plan to be one of the first buyers!

will it read .epub format out of the box?

Will it display images with the hirsc attribute? What about .jpegs?
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...ile=images.htm

How would it fare with pdf's formatted for the Sony Reader?

Last edited by rjnagle; 07-27-2007 at 06:34 AM.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, you do know that Digital Editions books will be filled with this horrible thing called DRM. So good luck going DE to HTML.
They cracked .lit DRM. There's always hope that the industry at-large will give up on DRM, as many independents already have. But if Cybook will support ePub, that'll work too.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
There's always hope that the industry at-large will give up on DRM, as many independents already have.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #26
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
I wonder how many people are going to get hand-me-down Sony Readers once the Cybook Gen3 comes out? I'm still waiting for my $49 Reader to come in, but I'll probably pass that on to the wife, look at getting a Cybook, and sell my eb1150. The simple fact that it'll read many formats natively is sweet!
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #27
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
This may have already been mentioned in this thread and I missed it, but from where will the Cybook be purchased? NAEB? Retailers? Online website? Or perhaps this hasn't been decided yet?

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these babies!!!
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I was thinking of support for the format, but you are correct that in addition there would need to be a way to select words.
They might be able to provide that by using the directional control. Put the unit in "word select mode", then navigate around until the word you want is the one selected. It shouldn't be too slow (other than the screen response time... that could be pretty bad, actually.)

Well, maybe not.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #29
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
This may be the wrong thread to ask but:
How fast startup time of this thing is going to be?
Anything on the real batterylife? I know Bokeen states 8000 pageturns but, well, we have had statements like that before...
Is there going to be a hibernate function?

The answers to these 3 question could well decide if this device is going to be an Iliad killer or not.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yeah, yeah... but it's happening right now in the music industry, innit then?