Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
ADE bugs affect what?

(I posted this question on the Known ADE Bugs thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94733 , but it never get answered. I am reposting it here in the hopes that someone who knows might elucidate). Feel free to answer here or on the bugs thread.

A stupid question: does this affect only Adobe DE desktop software or does this also affect ebook reading devices as well?

If it affects devices, which devices? I would guess that Sony renders epub through Adobe DE firmware. Can anyone confirm that? Are there other devices which do the same thing?
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which bugs are you talking about?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer

There is a thread in this forum listing all the ADE bugs. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94733

What is the scope of these bugs? Do they only affect the Windows Desktop application called Adobe Digital Editions? Or does it also affect devices which have partnered with Adobe to render EPUB? If so, what are these devices?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Hapax - I fear you think somebody has done more work than has been done. Ideally, there would be a Wiki page listing these bugs, with more complete descriptions, and a table showing which devices and programs are affected.

Nobody has created that page yet, useful though it might be - probably because they are trying to find workarounds.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
I haven't had very much problems with ADE, but from wha I have seen so far, I believe, that most of the bugs that everyone mentions appear on handheld devices. And I think the majority of the readers uses the ADE parser. At least Sony and Hanlin (and all it's clones like Bebook) uses ADE.

One bug that I experienced is this: I have this one ebook. There are 3 "special" (hebrew) characters in the ebook. I found them in the unicode table so I just added them to my ebook. I cheched my base file (the html file) with Firefox and the hebrew letters showed up. Then I converted it with Calibre and looked at it with the Calibre ebook-viewer and the hebrew letters showed up. Then I copied the epub on my ebook and looked at it - and instead of the hebrew letters, I ended up with "?". And as far as I know, this is one of the bugs - no full support of all unicode characters.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
I haven't had very much problems with ADE, but from wha I have seen so far, I believe, that most of the bugs that everyone mentions appear on handheld devices. And I think the majority of the readers uses the ADE parser. At least Sony and Hanlin (and all it's clones like Bebook) uses ADE.

One bug that I experienced is this: I have this one ebook. There are 3 "special" (hebrew) characters in the ebook. I found them in the unicode table so I just added them to my ebook. I cheched my base file (the html file) with Firefox and the hebrew letters showed up. Then I converted it with Calibre and looked at it with the Calibre ebook-viewer and the hebrew letters showed up. Then I copied the epub on my ebook and looked at it - and instead of the hebrew letters, I ended up with "?". And as far as I know, this is one of the bugs - no full support of all unicode characters.
I am not sure this is a bug. It is not reasonable to expect the default font set on the device to handle full unicode. However ADE does support embedding fonts and thus you can easily solve the problem yourself whenever needed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer

Does that include the Nook devices as well?

Actually, I suppose I could test these effects in the Nook for PC (even though I'm unsure whether this accurately reflects the e-ink version).

Update: I think this is a complete list
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

Last edited by hapax legomenon; 12-11-2010 at 08:45 PM.