Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
"Locations" vs. Pages in K3 - AAAAAAAH!

Is there any way we can change the "locations" (bottom, centered of K3 screen) to show real pages? I hate seeing locations 289-307 of 2507 for instance. It's making me crazy! Is there a way of making this show us page _ of _ only?

friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
haha... a lot of people hate the locations myself included, however I don't thing that there is a way to change it
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can save everybody a lot of time here... the answer is no. Get used to it or dwell on it... your choice.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
I just don't understand what in the name of everything that's good * were they thinking of * when they came up with such a boneheaded idea?

I LOVE everything else about my Kindle, will never go back to my Sony 700. I can adjust to the Collections, manoeuver around everything else (heck, I even converted all my ePubs) - but I'll never get used to the "Locations" ...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's a valid reason for them, but apparently that's no consolation for the people that hate them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am not crazy about locations. But I realize that page numbers would mean nothing see that any time you change font size or font style that it would change the page numbers, but with location that does not change. Seeing I believe that the location is by the number of characters and I believe that each location change is 128 characters.
If that is not correct I am sure that someone here will correct me.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Is there any way we can change the "locations" (bottom, centered of K3 screen) to show real pages? I hate seeing locations 289-307 of 2507 for instance. It's making me crazy! Is there a way of making this show us page _ of _ only?

I wonder how they would designate a page? Locations make sense when you think about it. Each "page" on an ereader depends on font size, margin size and justification.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have taken to using the percentage done as an indicator of how far I am in the book.
However that doesn't help with the got to option.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
My problem with locations (and I think this may be at the heart of other people's complaints too) is that the units they picked are so arbiitrary. If they based the unit on the average amount of characters on a hardcover or paperback page, locations would be far easier to understand.
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Is there a guide on using Locations? I can't find anything in the user guide other than a brief mention.
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Matheson View Post
I wonder how they would designate a page? Locations make sense when you think about it. Each "page" on an ereader depends on font size, margin size and justification.
Yes, however after someone found the settings he/she is most comfortable with they are not getting changed often.

Unless you switch between reading devices (with different resolutions/screensizes) or change the fontsize often (i.e. in the evening if your eyesight isn't that great anymore) there isn't any advantage of locations over pages.

An *option* to switch between locations and a calculated pagenumber wouldn't hurt anyone.

Myself I just use the percentage. I do not "wander" in my books much, so I do not need to switch between pages much anyway.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #12
Vighnahara
Vighnahara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I agree that it's always best to give users options. But I totally get why they used the locations. I was playing with a Kobo and a Sony Reader last week, and each one would change the total number of pages every time I resized. It was annoying. I like the idea that no matter what I change, my current location will always be the same.

I think what the Kindle really needs is an "Advanced Menu" option where you can change every last little setting, but that this menu should be initially hidden so that technophobes won't feel overwhelmed by too many options.
Vighnahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #13
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
I would much prefer it if there was an option to remove the locations, I do not want to know how much of my book there is left to go, it would be a much more immersive experience...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #14
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
how do you read books then? because you ALWAYS see how much you have to go there :P
Jacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #15
Andy216
Andy216 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Matheson View Post
Sony does it perfectly. It's based on printed page. So if your font is turned up, you may turn the page and still be on the same "page" or maybe you turn it and you're on page 241-242.
Andy216 is offline   Reply With Quote