Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #106
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I have read and re-read this entire thread several times and cannot figure out what is wrong. Everytime I try to run BC, I go through all the steps and when I hit the convert to LRF the computer works for a few seconds and then I get the error window attached as an image below.

Very frustrating.

Vista 64
Word 2007
Yes, I have the proper paths to Calibre and html2lrf

Thanks in advance for your help.

When that dialog box shows up hit the <Debug> button and take a screen shot of the VBA screen. (Usually shows a yellow line highlighting some text)

A couple questions.

1) Have you been able to use the other macros. Like word wrap, "File import..."
2) Does calibre work on your system. Do the following steps
- Open a word doc and save it as an html. "File | Save As..."
- Import the HTML file to calibre.
- Convert the document from the GUI or from the command line.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #107
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This is the first such request. I'll include this in the next release.

=X=
Thanks X!
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #108
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
When that dialog box shows up hit the <Debug> button and take a screen shot of the VBA screen. (Usually shows a yellow line highlighting some text)

A couple questions.

1) Have you been able to use the other macros. Like word wrap, "File import..."
2) Does calibre work on your system. Do the following steps
- Open a word doc and save it as an html. "File | Save As..."
- Import the HTML file to calibre.
- Convert the document from the GUI or from the command line.

=X=
1) Yes, all other macros seem to work fine.
2) Calibre works GREAT on my computer. I was also able to save a Word doc as html and convert to lrf in Calibre.

I have tried to get debug to work, but nothing seems to happen. I will continue to try to get a debug log for you.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #109
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've been experimenting a bit more with BC.

One oddity is that the macro for changing uppercase to italics seems to work brilliantly for text files, but won't work (for me) at all for doc or html.
The underscores to italics works on all types of file, as far as I can see.

It's worth noting that the uppercase to italics always renders the italics in lowercase, so one has to check the text in case of italicization at the beginning of a sentence.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #110
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
One oddity is that the macro for changing uppercase to italics seems to work brilliantly for text files, but won't work (for me) at all for doc or html.
The underscores to italics works on all types of file, as far as I can see.
Hi Patricia,
This is by design, what is happening is that the marco looks for styles that are of type "1 Text" and are uppercase. The reason for this condition is most titles are upper case and running the script would italicize them.

The reason this works with text documents and not words/html files is most likely you ran the "Word Wrap Fix" macro for the text file, which turns all the text to the "1 Text" style. And did not run it with the macro with a doc/html so the text maintains it's original style. It is worth noting that running "Word Wrap Fix" on a doc/html file will not give you a desirable result as it will turn paragraphs to one huge block.

I typically convert the text in a doc/html to "1 Text" so all the macro's work properly. There are two ways. One is to run the "Tag Italics" this puts a "_"(underscore) before and after an italicized word. The reason will become apparent soon. Then I select the whole document and Click "Clear Formatting" on the "Styles and Formatting" pane. At this point all formatting are lost. (Italics, bolds, etc...). Followed by selecting the "1 Text" style, this then turns all the text to "1 Text". Then I run the "Italicize the Text" macro to retrieve italicizes text. This works when the document is a simple document like a novel. Note Patricia. If you are going to run the "Italicize UPPERCASE" here I would suggest you run "Auto Chapter" first so that you don't italicize the Chapter titles.

The latter approach is a bit more tedious but preserves the format where needed.

You can click on the body of the text. On the "Styles and Formatting" the style associated to the text is highlighted. Right click on the style and select the "Select All" menu option. This selects all the text of that style. Then I click on "Clear Formatting" and select "1 Text".
Do this for each style you wish to convert to "1 Text".

Quote:
It's worth noting that the uppercase to italics always renders the italics in lowercase, so one has to check the text in case of italicization at the beginning of a sentence.
Yes this is a bug. I'll have it fixed for the next release.

=X=
Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #111
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, =X=. That's very helpful, and I'll try it out.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #112
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Have the template load every time ?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to set up MSWord so that it would just load this template automatically every time I started word?

Any help / suggestions please.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #113
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to set up MSWord so that it would just load this template automatically every time I started word?

Any help / suggestions please.

The best and easiest way to do this is to create a shortcut to your quicklaunch toolbar or on your desktop. Then click/double click on the shortcut. This will open word with new file that uses the bookcreator.dot template.

Another was is to make the template global by going to "Tools|Template and Add-In.."
Then depress the "Add..." button and add the template.

But I don't recommend that method as it does not properly setup GUI display, though all the macros work.

=X=
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #114
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Anyone know what the oldest version of Word is that BC will work with? Thanks.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #115
Patricia
Reader

2000 or later, according to the wiki entry here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

Edited to add: Sorry, I misread the thread, which is about Book Creator, not Book Designer. I'll have to get my eyes tested again.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #116
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
2000 or later, according to the wiki entry here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

Edited to add: Sorry, I misread the thread, which is about Book Creator, not Book Designer. I'll have to get my eyes tested again.
Thank you for the response anyway.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #117
Patricia
Reader

Basically, Book Cleaner is a Word macro. I'm using it with Office 2003. I suspect that it should work with older versions of Word without too much trouble.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #118
Patricia
Reader

Have you considered writing a wiki entry for Book Creator, =X=?
There are entries for the other main conversion tools.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #119
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Have you considered writing a wiki entry for Book Creator, =X=?
There are entries for the other main conversion tools.
That is a good idea --bit of a V8 moment ( )

I've never written a WIKI and don't know where to start? I thought WIKI on mobiread where controlled by the moderators?

How do I go about starting one?

=X=
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #120
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I've never written a WIKI and don't know where to start? I thought WIKI on mobiread where controlled by the moderators?

How do I go about starting one?
No... Wiki is by definition a community editable feature. You do need to get a wiki login though to contribute. Just go to the Wiki link at the top of this page... Create login to the Wiki (top right link on Wiki). Once you've done that... create a page.

The easiest way to create a page is to find an existing page that should like to your new page... add the topic name/link like this:

[[Book Creator]]

Then save your edit. The link about should be active... click on it to create the page... then edit the page.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote