Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #2266
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Today is Beethoven's birthday.

Tones sound, and roar and storm about me until I have set them down in notes.
- Ludwig van Beethoven

I will seize fate by the throat; it shall certainly never wholly overcome me.
- Ludwig van Beethoven

for me his Ninth Symphony is probably the greatest piece of music ever written.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI

If you'd like something a bit shorter: Moonlight Sonata.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #2267
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

- Ludwig van Beethoven

- Ludwig van Beethoven

I love the Ode to Joy section of that symphony, but the Fifth will always be my favorite. I've heard that so many times I'll bet if you stuck me in front of an orchestra, I could conduct it from memory—which would confuse the hell out of them if they had been told they'd be playing Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #2268
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

...for me his Ninth Symphony is probably the greatest piece of music ever written.

This is my favorite video clip that includes a lengthy portion of the Ode to Joy. Forgive the poor quality audio in this clip (the original movie has much better fidelity), but by all means grab yourself a copy of Man Facing Southeast; and make sure you grab one that's subtitled, as the original was in Spanish. In this outtake, the man who takes the baton from the conductor mid-movement is a mental patient who claims to be an extraterrestrial. The man looking on with obvious concern is his psychiatrist.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #2269
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

It has been claimed that Beethoven—in a refusal to perform for some French officers at one of the estates of Karl Alois, Prince Lichnowsky—told the Austrian nobleman in a letter, "Prince, what you are you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been thousands of princes and will be thousands more; there is only one Beethoven!"
Old 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #2270
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It has been claimed that Beethoven—in a refusal to perform for some French officers at one of the estates of Karl Alois, Prince Lichnowsky—told the Austrian nobleman in a letter, "Prince, what you are you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been thousands of princes and will be thousands more; there is only one Beethoven!"
I actually just heard that quote from the Announcer on the local classical station. They are playing and doing special Beethoven things today.
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #2271
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

- Ludwig van Beethoven

- Ludwig van Beethoven

whoa! You mean, 12-16?? it's my daughter's birthday too!

hmm, wikipedia says baptised 12-17... could be born any day before that... still, nice coincidence

the man is my favorite composer, but I don't usually delve into that kind of detail from his life... I've read Maynard Salomon's biography in which he seems to prove the identity of the infamous Imortal Beloved.

I'm a hobbyist pianist. I can play at least Moonlight's first movement, plus some of his bagatelles and other minor work it's one of my goals in life to at least reach Appassionata's level... I know Hammerklavier is completely out of reach

as for the symphonies, I think my favorite is 7, but they're all wonderful works, specially 3,5,6,7 and 9, indeed.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #2272
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
...as for the symphonies, I think my favorite is 7....
The second movement of that one sends chills down my spine.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #2273
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
"The saddest day of your life isn't when you decide to sell out. The saddest day of your life is when you decide to sell out and nobody wants to buy."
— Norman Spinrad, Bug Jack Barron
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #2274
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
"A little while and I will be gone from among you, whither I cannot tell. From no where we came, into nowhere we go. What is life? It is a flash of a firefly in the night. It is a breath of a buffalo in the winter time. It is the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

-- last words - Chief of the Blackfoot: Ispwo Mukika Crowfoot (1783-1850)
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #2275
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
For me, it's his 5th Symphony and Piano Concerto No 5.

Berlioz admired Beethoven greatly as a composer.

"As far as symphonies are concerned, Mozart wrote 17 of which 3 are beautiful and even then… The good Haydn produced a quantity of pretty things of that kind. Beethoven wrote seven masterpieces but Beethoven is not human. And when you are only a human being you should not pass judgement on the God."

"Now that I have broken the shackles of routine, I can see a huge field opening up, which academic rules were preventing me from entering. Now that I have heard this terrifying giant Beethoven, I know what stage musical art has reached, and the aim is to take it from there and push it further… not actually further, that is impossible, he has reached the limits of art, but as far in another direction. There is a great deal of new work to be done, I can feel it with great energy; and be assured I will do it if I live."
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #2276
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
For me, it's his 5th Symphony and Piano Concerto No 5....
Oh, yes. The third movement of the Emperor Concerto never fails to get my juices flowing in a way few pieces ever have. Pardon the cliché, but what a rush! And the finale of that movement; that sudden burst of energy that explodes like a supernova right on the heels of the final ritardando and diminuendo! It'll knock you slam out of your seat if you're not careful!

Yes, I like it too.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #2277
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so f*****g what?

--I saw hate in a graveyard, Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 2005.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #2278
kennyc

There must be an ability to pass long hours in study and research with pleasure even though some of the effort will inevitably lead to dead ends. Such is the price of admission.
- E.O. Wilson - Letters to a Young Scientist
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #2279
kennyc

"Any planet is 'Earth' to those that live on it."
- Isaac Asimov born January 2, 1920

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
— Isaac Asimov (Foundation (Foundation, #1))
Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #2280
BenG
Home Guard

We have a saying: If you go to Atlanta, the first question people ask you is, ‘What’s your business?’ In Macon they ask, ‘Where do you go to church?’ In Augusta they ask your grandmother’s maiden name. But in Savannah the first question people ask you is ‘What would you like to drink?’”

— John Berendt, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil