Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
eblazer
eblazer began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook from Barnes & Noble

I have just purchased the B&N Nook and started with it. I then bought one book from B&N and everything works fine.

Then I tried to buy an ebook that was not available from B&N, so I bought it from Amazon and downloaded it to my PC.

The Nook will not read it because it is in prc format. I have tried Calibre but it won't convert it.

Any suggestions, or should I just try to return the nook to B&N and get another reader.

Thanks,

Ed Blazer
eblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The nook will not read Amazon books. If you want to read the PRC book you bought buy a Kindle. The book that you bought from B&N will not be able to be read on your Kindle however.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Ed.

Ebook devices all have their own formats and books aren't interchangeable. (I'm talking drm'd books now)

You can't read kindle books on Sony or Nook, or Sony books on Kindle or Nook, Or Nook books on Kindle or Sony. Legally.

You need to check out which stores offer the most books you are interested in, for the lowest price.

If you have a library nearby that stocks a decent selection of epub books, you can download them to your computer and transfer to your Nook or Sony or some other devices.

Here are some ebook search engines.......enter title, or author or both, and get prices from several different sources. Since the Nook is so new, yhou might have to go to BN directly for their prices.

http://www.ebookprice.info/

http://inkmesh.com/

http://ebooks.addall.com/

Last edited by desertgrandma; 12-17-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: addendum
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
They pretty much explained everything you need to know about it already.

I just would like to welcome you to MobileRead.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
There are ways to strip the DRM off mobipocket. Did you use the Kindle for PC program to download the book? I don't know if anyone has figured out how Amazon attributes a PID to the computer yet but once you know the PID you can strip DRM. Site rules dictate that we don't give instructions to do this here (the legalities of such actions are vague and Adobe and Amazon seem to get upset about DRM circumvention--imagine that) you should be able to use Google to find such instructions if you're interested in going that route. A lot of people use DRM circumvention to allow them to purchase ebooks from multiple sources. I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with that, legalities be damned.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ed and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
B&N Nook books are on eBookPrice.info

Hi, Ed, and welcome to mobileread.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Here are some ebook search engines.......enter title, or author or both, and get prices from several different sources. Since the Nook is so new, yhou might have to go to BN directly for their prices.

http://www.ebookprice.info/
Just to let you know, eBookPrice.info does have the Nook books from BN included in the searches.

Please, try out the site, and let me know if there's any suggestions you have for how it can be improved for a new ebook user like yourself.

Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote