Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
kakolirisn
kakolirisn began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
astak mentor

Hi,

does everyone know where can i buy astak mendor or the esilk from foxit?

Are available?

I leave in Greece, so i need an eshop

Thank you
kakolirisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakolirisn View Post
Hi,

Are available?

Thank you
Welcome to MobileRead, kakolirisn.......someone is bound to post soon with answers.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to ask more questions, or jump in on conversations that may interest you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:

Are available?

The Astak Mentor is aimed at an American public, the BeBook is the European equivalent (the same hardware, very similar firmware) and is available from their website; they ship to Greece.

The eSlick is currently available for pre-order only (will ship around the end of July, also to Greece).
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
kakolirisn

thanks for your answer
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
kakolirisn

please could you tell also, if you know, what is the best reader for anotation, and highlighting?
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
BeBook partner in Athens

Hi - I'm also in Greece and I noticed a BeBook partner outside of Athens, the website is:
http://www.mybebook.gr/

Annotations are another issue (I've looked into it). There are the irex offerings, but they are quite expensive. I think that irex would be the best possibility for Greece, or a tablet netbook (which is what I decided to go with). The tablet is bulkier and nowhere near the battery capability - but is less expensive and has +++ features including annotation.

I also have the jetBook for carrying around, which is a good, basic LCD-based (not eink) reader and has a 1-year international warranty. It is crazy expensive to purchase in Europe though. Costs $170-$200 in the USA and 300 euros from the Europe site which would be $417 - more than double the price!

Good luck with your choice!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
please could you tell also, if you know, what is the best reader for anotation, and highlighting?
I don't think there is a very good e-ink reader for annotation/highlighting. If that is really important to you I'd look towards a tablet PC. On the other hand, the tablet PC is not a great e-reader (portability, backlight, battery life).

You can do some clipping on the Kindle, some on the more expensive IRex, and I believe on the more expensive Sony.

Although the eink screen is wonderful for reading it is not so well designed for interactive features like the requirement to draw on the screen and see highlighting or markup follow your stylus/finger/pointer.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
If you want annotations, a touchscreen is the best way to get one. But the touchscreen e-ink devices are (as of now) rather scarce. If that is really important, I would go for an UMPC or tabled PC. While some may say they you can't read books on those (because of the backlit LCD screen mostly), I personally don't mind LCD screens for reading.

I don't know if you have a large electronic shop in your neighbourhood (where they sell PC's, laptops, phones, etc), but it might be a good idea to check those out. You can see for yourself whether you like or don't like LCD screens.

I personally am awaiting the Jointech JE100, which will be a WinCE, backlit LCD based ebookreader.

(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48499 for the tread about that one)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
kakolirisn

thanks all of you for your answers.
After a rapid research i think that kindle dx could be good for anotation or highlighting.
The other choice could be an ultramobile pc, that is relatively unknown in Greece.
The kindle dx has user manual available.
Any other opininion?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
kakolirisn

jointech is very interesting.

Where someone could buy it?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
After a rapid research i think that kindle dx could be good for anotation or highlighting.
The other choice could be an ultramobile pc, that is relatively unknown in Greece.
Any other opininion?
The Kindle isn't officially available in Europe. You can't order it online unless you go to sites like ebay (or know somebody in the States who can order it for you and ship it to Greece).

Quote:
jointech is very interesting.

Where someone could buy it?
It's not available as of yet
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Any other opininion?
I'm not sure what kind of annotation/highlighting you want to do. Since the Kindle doesn't have a touch screen, I don't personally feel it is that good.

Also, someone check me on this, but I don't believe the annotation feature works on pdf files.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Also, someone check me on this, but I don't believe the annotation feature works on pdf files.
Correct, no annotation in PDFs. Annotation is via the keyboard, which is reported to be relatively hard to use on the KDX (harder to use than on the K2).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
kakolirisn

MANY THANKS TOA
Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Annotations

I have owned both the Sony PRS505 and the Kindle 1. The Kindle was great for clipping out passages from the books or articles that I was reading. Simple enough even without the touch screen. It loads the clippings into a file, which can then very easily be transferred to a desktop. From there again very easily into whatever storage mechanism you want. I have a simple database set up for research notes which these clippings often form a part. That db then sync's to my iTouch.

Reading on the iTouch with version 3 of the software, allows copy and paste. But a 3.5 inch screen compared to a 6 inch e-ink screen - there is absolutely no comparison. E-ink every time. I sincerely wish Sony allowed this too.

Last edited by Prince Hal; 06-25-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: removed TFT - not sure if this is accurate
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote