Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Linux Resources

Can anyone can point me to a few good Linux resources that I can browse in advance of actually setting up Linux on an old desktop box and trying to use it. I'm especially interested in the following:
  • Distributions and install/admin info
  • Security (virus protection, firewall, etc)
  • Using PDAs (Palm, PPC, Zaurus) with Linux
    Some good Zaurus sites would be nice also...
  • Blogs for beginners with info about the above topics plus things like applications and hot topics for "simple" users. I'd love something like "LinuxRead" or "Linux Addicts"!
Right now I'm just curious. I bet a lot of others are also.

Thanks!

Last edited by BobR; 04-03-2005 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Formatting
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Distros:
http://distrowatch.com

Security:
You don't need virus scanning, really... Unless you plan on interacting with Windows machines, to protect those machines. If you do think you "need" a virus scanner, have a look at ClamAV. There are some frontends hanging around, such as KlamAV. For a firewall, you can mess around with iptables, but it's not for the basic user. Most "newbie" distros, like Fedora or Mandrake have a simpler interface to simply turn on a firewall. And you do not need any sort of adware or spyware protection, not that it really exists anyway.

PDAs:
I really don't know about syncing PPCs (Google could help), but look at pilot-link, J-Pilot, and KPilot, for Palms. For syncing Zauri, the KDEPIM/Pi suite has syncing built-in. If you want more info on syncing or connecting the Zaurus to a Linux box, just ask me, and I'll either write up something or find something.

Blogs:
I don't know at all. Googling for them would be your best bet, probably.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert