Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
didoto
Enthusiast
didoto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Stucked Aura HD to which I applied SD rescue, but now it behaves strangely

Hi everybody,

Has anyone encountered such situation? I can not think out what I can do with this Kobo Aura HD.
Let me explain as thoroughly as possible and if something is ommited please ask freely:

I got Aura HD - blank , but perfect screen and irresponsive (when charged for some hours the screen would flash several times but nothing more). I applied the SD image davidfor was so kind to give me (Thank you very much davidfor you have been of great help to me!). It did not started immediately, but after 1-2 hours of charging finally it started!!

But obviously it is not only the SD problem the Aura HD has - it has some other issues - maybe battery, maybe something else (if I could find replacement battery to try I would know if it is her, but even from Kobo do not answer to my request for a battery to buy and nowhere I can find such batteries -these Kobos are hard ro repair, if not software issue!). But I love the sceen - it is beautiful and will keep on trying to make it work normally!

I am trying almost 2 weeks now - I made it work as I said (and even connected it to WiFi and went through the update process - I did not find anyway to pass it by to reach Home screen - although not at once but at several parts maybe 5-6, because the device stucked several times during updating and finally I managed it through).

And now if connected to electricity the Aura HD says battery is full, but if not connected to a power supply in a minute it says the battery needs charge and dies. And if constantly connected to power supply it is operational, but within half an hour it just freezes and the power is down (the light goes off) but before that the illumination of the screen changes brightness lightly several times, as if something with the power (current or I do not know what exactly) is changing.

Immediately after that the reader is irresponsive - no light nor anything when I pull start button. After an hour the light by the start button starts to blink when start button is pulled and maybe 1-2 hours later when I pull again the start button the screen of the reader flashes and it starts normally.

I repeated the above mutiple times - to see if freezing fades with time, to make several discharge and charge cycles of the battery, etc.
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I read in the forum that several owners of Kobo Aurda HD fixed battery issues of not charging and fast discharging by simply disconnecting the battery cored for some minutes and resetting the reader after that - so I did this also a couple of times, but alas no effect.

Any ideas what can I do next?
Any kind of help and/or advice is highly appreciated
didoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Any battery should work, as long as it meets the specs (same voltage, number of wires, ...) and dimensions to fit unless you fancy reading with an open case. If it's not the exact same connector you can recycle the one of your old battery by connecting the wires.

Another reader, but similar battery issue: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187460

Maybe someone has already done the replacement for the Aura HD specifically and can link to a more suitable replacement product.

Other possibilities for erratic behaviour: bad internal sd card (or just a damaged filesystem; could happen if the reader got stuck during an update), bad usb cable, loose connector somewhere, water damage... I hope that's not it though.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
didoto
Enthusiast

Hi,

I tried several SD cards. And applied good SD image also, but in vain.
I am starting to doubt if battery can cause this and starting to suspect some other hardware issue, but I am oblidged to eliminate battery issue as cause. The other reasons are much worse I think

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
didoto
Enthusiast

Hi,

Does anyone know what should be the voltage of the original battery for Aura HD?
Mine is 3.7V, but in another thread the owner said his was 4.2V?!
Is it possible the model to have two different batteries?

I am wondering now is it possible that someone has changed the battery with a one with wrong voltage (3.7 instead of 4.2) and could that have caused all of my troubles?
Bah it is too much of a conspiracy I think, but still....

How can I understand what voltage should be the right for my Aura HD?
Or maybe both 3.7 and 4.2 should work, after all difference is not that big?

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

3.7V is normal.
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by didoto View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know what should be the voltage of the original battery for Aura HD?
Mine is 3.7V, but in another thread the owner said his was 4.2V?!
Is it possible the model to have two different batteries?

I am wondering now is it possible that someone has changed the battery with a one with wrong voltage (3.7 instead of 4.2) and could that have caused all of my troubles?
Bah it is too much of a conspiracy I think, but still....

How can I understand what voltage should be the right for my Aura HD?
Or maybe both 3.7 and 4.2 should work, after all difference is not that big?

Any ideas?
It is a Li-Ion battery. The nominal voltage will be probably be 3.7 volts, but it could be 3.6V. During operation, the voltage changes. At maximum charge, 4.2V sounds about right. The nominal voltage will be the voltage printed on the battery.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
didoto
Enthusiast

I see.
But can I buy Li-Pol battery instead?
Which is better?
Or they are not intercahngable?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Li-Pol" is short for "Lithium Ion Polymer". In this case, I am pretty sure the only batteries you will find are Li-Poly (or LiPo). The meaning of this has actually changed over the last few years. Originally, it referred to a different chemistry. Now, it usually means the same chemistry as Li-Ion but in a different packaging. Effectively, "Li-Ion" is used for cylindrical cells with hard shells and Li-Poly for the flat cells with a soft casing.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
didoto
Enthusiast

Hi,

Battery replaced today - same capacity 1500 mAh, but slightly different dimension
I tried and managed to discharge it full. With the ew battery I made factory rest and after that full update f the system - all worked like a charm - no freezes, no problems. Hurray!

Now I switched the device to charge. After seconds it displayed battery charged 100%
After switching it off from the computer in seconds it displays 0% battery and needs o charge
I tried it several times - sometimes it displays charging, but in seconds it shows 100% and sometimes it does not even start charging, but righ away shows 100% charged.

I think there is some issue with the device - not charging the battery.
Any ideas of how to sove that or it is too hard and expensive to be solved

I am not happy
Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
didoto
Enthusiast

Hi again,

I have several updates and new questions for your expertise, if anyone could help:

Several examinations were held:
1. When connect to power supply (charger or PC USB) the battery is charged for several seconds (the voltage is constantly dropping from about 4V to stopped charging).
2. Several other batteries 3.7V with less capacity were tried, but the result is the same - after several seconds the charging simply stops
3. The battery was completely removed and then measurements has been executed without battery to see the result... And it was surprising! If a battery is not presented then the Aura HD provides constant charge of about 4V!
4. If a battery is installed back then immediately the charge is dropping and completely stopped in seconds!

Does anyone know if the Kobo Aura HD has any kind of chip that detects, if the battery is not original and if it is not - then stops the charging? Or do you know if the other Kobo devices has such detection for non-original battery?
Do you know how can I bypass this potection, if it really exists?

Maybe it is possible the cause to be some misbehaving chip that does not like batteries at all... I am running out of ideas

Could anyone give some ideas how to proceed further please?

Thank you very much and
Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

It's supposed to stop charging... when the battery is (nearly) full. Otherwise it would blow your battery sooner or later

If it can't detect the battery state properly... I don't know how one could fix that
Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
didoto
Enthusiast

Hmmm, yes it might be that - not detecting correctly the state of the battery. I will see about that.

Do you know is it possible that Kobo have madi to work only with its genuine battery? Or is it not very possible?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

I'm not sure, but usually those kinds of batteries have more than just two connectors...
Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

All Li-Ion charging circuits will not allow the battery to be charged if the voltage drops below a certain point. This is because the battery can become damaged and dangerous. What you are seeing, sounds like this.

For some circuits, once this is triggered, there is no way to change it. This is the case for a laptop battery. It is possible that it is also the case for the Aura HD. But, I do remember someone reporting something similar. They pulled the battery and charged it a little bit by some other method. When they reinstalled it, the charge level was above the cut off and the battery was charged and seemed to work OK. I don't know if it lasted as the report was a while ago.

I DO NOT recommend doing this. The maximum and minimum charge voltages are set to prevent the battery from being damaged and becoming dangerous. And by dangerous, I mean explosive. I remember seeing videos of some laptops exploding a few years ago because of faulty batteries.

I doubt if the device can detect if the battery is not original. For that, there is usually a circuit built into the battery. I think it will need more than three wires. But, it might be able to detect enough of the battery characteristics to determine if it is a suitable battery.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Replacement batteries sold on internet are often so old voltage is low enough to cause charging problems. Better to only buy battery for recent device that might have good replacement battery.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote