Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

View Poll Results: In addition to your eBookwise 1150, how many also own different ebook readers?
no eBookwise 1150 yet but use legacy Gemstar reader (REB 1200, REB 1100, Rocket eBook) 1 1.28%
eBookwise 1150 only! 20 25.64%
eBookwise 1150 and legacy Gemstar reader (REB 1200, REB 1100, Rocket eBook) 6 7.69%
eBookwise 1150 and iRex iLiad 0 0%
eBookwise 1150 and Sony ebook reader (PRS-500, PRS-505) 14 17.95%
eBookwise 1150 and Bookeen Cybook Gen3 4 5.13%
eBookwise 1150 and Amazon Kindle 8 10.26%
eBookwise 1150 and other e-ink reader (HanLan, STAReBook) 0 0%
eBookwise 1150 and mixture of above ebook reader 11 14.10%
eBookwise 1150 and ebook reader not mentioned above 6 7.69%
This doesn't apply to me but I'd like to see the results 8 10.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #31
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Talking

DUH! I forgot to mention the touchscreen (or maybe that falls under ergonomics since it saves valuable screen space from clusters of button?Or NOT). Anyway both my devices have them which is a big part of the appeal.

And yes Zelda it would be GREAT to build our own devices. I do find it funny that I'm drawn to the devices of older technology. But I'm a history geek (to the point of being a Revolutionary War Reenactor) so as Weird Al Yankovic says maybe "I'm technologically impaired". I'm considered a techno geek at my park, but that's just in comparison to the other Rangers, so...not so much.....
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #32
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I am LOVING my EB1150!! However, now I am finding authors who I like, but their earlier works are not available to me. They ARE on Kindle however... so I will be adding a Kindle in the future sometime. I have a TON of books to read on my EB1150 though so I can wait

Now that I've started reading on an ebook reader, I don't think I can go back to paper! And it is SO much easier to read on a treadmill!!
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #33
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
........ Can we assume EBW 1150 owners to be more frugal?
Well, the affordability was what made me buy it now... well, with Filament's book club. I can make monthly payments for it without adding it to my cc bill. I pay my book club from my checking account.

I do still want a Kindle also (although I LOVE my EBW 1150!) because there are a lot of titles I want that are available for Kindle but not my EBW.

Just putting money aside to get a used Kindle 1 eventually.. but at least now I can READ! Gosh, I don't even want to read an actual paper book now.. I LOVE reading on an ereader !
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #34
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
silly paperbacks

Yeah after getting my eb1150 I have pretty much stopped reading regular paperbacks, I just love my little ereader. Its so nice to have all those books in one spot and it takes up so much less space in my small little space. 400+ books take up very little harddrive space, but alot of physical space if I had them as paperbacks!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #35
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Yeah after getting my eb1150 I have pretty much stopped reading regular paperbacks, I just love my little ereader. Its so nice to have all those books in one spot and it takes up so much less space in my small little space. 400+ books take up very little harddrive space, but alot of physical space if I had them as paperbacks!

Amy
I too used to have boxes of paperbacks around the house. Now I have a single DVD with 17,000 books on it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...nd_DVD_Project

Problem is, now I have boxes of ebook readers taking up space.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #36
Yirabeth
Yirabeth began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Ok, March Break is over and what have we learned, here, about our beloved eBookwise 1150 (still under $140 I may add!)?

Well, for starters, roughly 30 responses does not make for accurate results, but what the heck:

1. Just over a third (35%) of us have only the EBW 1150, which means they are relatively new to the whole NuvoMedia/SoftBook/Gemstar legacy world. They have not yet learned to stray.

2. That leaves almost two-thirds (60%) with either older legacy readers (like me) and/or newer e-ink devices.

3. Of those with e-ink devices as well, almost half (47%) have multiple ebooks readers (and probably hoards of other gadgets). The Sony ebook reader seems the upgrade path of choice with almost one in three (33%) making that decision. The Amazon Kindle only had about 10% support as the only other ebook reader EBW1150 owners have as did the Cybook Gen 3.

4. No-one chose to 'upgrade' solely to the (most) expensive e-ink device, iLiad. Can we assume EBW 1150 owners to be more frugal?

5. In the end, just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlighting be THAT important?

Thanks to all who participated!
Many of these would apply to me..more frugal, backlighting important...

I went from a Rocketbook to my 1150. Backlighting IS the most important consideration for me, and price second. With programs like ABC Lit and EBW Librarian, etc, format is not terribly important, I can make it fit what I'm using.

I have had an ebook for approximately 10 yrs now. I used the RocketBook until...well I'm not sure WHAT until, because I remember feeling I *had* to get another one, to be without an ebook was unthinkable...but I found my old rocketbook in the basement the other day, plugged it in, loaded some books on it, and handed it to my son. So it wasn't broken. He also isn't leaving it plugged in so the battery IS holding charge... it does rattle a bit, and I know I dropped it several times so perhaps that was my reasoning? /shrug

I read at night, a lot, and if I leave a light on it disturbs others in my house. So I like the backlight. I do NOT like attached devices...even when I read paper books I used to curse the %%%$^ stupid light. So that cut a lot of books out of the running for me.

I have considered getting a sony or a kindle for some time now, several years at least...always hoping the newest version would have a backlight, and drop in price. I find it hard to justify ~$400 when I paid less than $150 for my 1150. Now the Sony 700 has side lights...which would work BUT it's still $400 AND it has an issue with dust under the screen. Never had that problem with my 1150...

So I will stick with what I have, while realising even still it's not perfect. I miss the ability to rotate the screen ANY which way I wish, like my RocketBook. But then, my 1150 has a MUCH better library menu... I wish it were thinner, like the Kindle or the Sony one. But I'd be giving up a lot of what I like and getting bad things like dust in the screen.

When this one dies I will get another 1150, unless they come up with something that's like my 1150 but skinnier -- and as inexpensive. I wouldn't mind something slightly smaller (But with as big a viewing screen!!) to fit in my handbag better. My handbag keeps getting smaller as the years go by! hehe

I really really wanted a hiebook at one time...They never really became available though, and so again, I'll stick with what I have

I have thought it would be nice to have a model capable of decent pictures etc because I'm starting into college again, but, I'll just have to use paper books for my learning I guess LOL.

~Yira
Yirabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #37
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirabeth View Post
When this one dies I will get another 1150, unless they come up with something that's like my 1150 but skinnier -- and as inexpensive.
My three-year-old 1150 is acting up. I'm used to having to hit reset half the time to turn it on, but now it's become finicky about charging, requiring me to get the cord in to just the right degree, at the right angle, when the unit is inclined just so. I'm hoping it can hold out a few more months, at which time Pixel Qi units may be out, if info is correct. That's the only device that I'd currently consider replacing the 1150 with: good B&W screen, better-than-eInk readability, with backlighting and color, and supposedly not expensive. Pity they haven't shown any mockups yet.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #38
Yirabeth
Yirabeth began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
My three-year-old 1150 is acting up. I'm used to having to hit reset half the time to turn it on, but now it's become finicky about charging, requiring me to get the cord in to just the right degree, at the right angle, when the unit is inclined just so. I'm hoping it can hold out a few more months, at which time Pixel Qi units may be out, if info is correct. That's the only device that I'd currently consider replacing the 1150 with: good B&W screen, better-than-eInk readability, with backlighting and color, and supposedly not expensive. Pity they haven't shown any mockups yet.
Sounds interesting..any links I can check out? I know no pics yet but I'm interested anyway

My 1150 is still going strong...never a problem. I'ts about 5 yrs old. So I can't justify another one now, but, I'd like to keep an eye on this, because nothing lasts forever and I'll need a new reader someday....

~Yira
Yirabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #39
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Pixel Qi screens are based on One Laptop Per Child screens, with integral touch capability. Looks like a ten-inch diagonal is up first, which going from the OLPC's 200ppi screen, means a six-inch by eight-inch screen at 1200x1600 pixels mono, less in color mode.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #40
gnawingonfoot
worthless joat
gnawingonfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Handspring Visor Neo
I just got my eBookwise-1150 a couple months ago to replace a Palm z22 with a battery problem, and I really enjoy reading on it! Price and backlit screen were my biggest issues, and supporting companies less evil than Sony and Amazon was another big issue. I'm fairly happy with the device overall for at-home leisure reading.

I voted "eBookwise 1150 and ebook reader not mentioned above" because I also read on a Palm device. Even though the option specified non-Palm/phone devices, I still counted it because my Palm *is* a dedicated reading device for me. I was not happy with the eBookwise's clunkiness and so bought a Handspring Visor Neo specifically so I could a have a more pocket-friendly portable device for reading on the run.
gnawingonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #41
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Thankfully FW has the Blackberry version of ereader now so I am able to read on the run with just my current cellphone and no longer need to lug a non activated Treo 755p around for reading.

If I am going anywhere like the Dr. though I do bring the 1150 with me as I know I'll be waiting a loooong time.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote