Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Shashie
Shashie began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Question My Pocket Edge will not boot up

My pocket edge will not boot up - I end up with only 3 dots on the tablet side and the reader side just says "initializing." I have tried reseting it, turning it on while holding down the rotate and menu buttons and putting it in the freezer. This is about as technical as I get. I tried to understand the instructions for updating to Ermine as a fix (I have Dingo now) but I really don't understand what to do. I went to the link in the forums and found the files, however, the instructions mention that one should format the USB to FAT (not FAT32) and be sure to uncheck quick format. Where do I do this? Also - there are several files - which one do I rename "update"? Where do I uncheck the "hide the file extensions button"?

As for the rest of the instructions, the only way I can turn off my pocket edge is by reseting it.

I am not very technical but with so support form Entourage, I don't know what to do. I have so many important things on my edge. Please...I need some help. Thanks!
Shashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Shashie

A quote from Obsessed2 in another post: "When I was in the U.S. Navy we had 10 Commandments of Damage Control. One of them I like to use often is: Stay calm, don't give up the ship."

I am no more technical than you are, so I can't help much. It sounds as if you have combed the forum for answers, which is an excellent first step.

I think I'll let the gurus answer your other questions. The biggest difficulty I see for you is if you can't turn your PE completely off. Or does the reset end with it off? I forget.

Good luck, you'll get it!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Nano spettinato
Nano spettinato began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket edge
Hi

I have the same problem.

Somebody can help me?
Nano spettinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
For Nano: Do you know what OS version your eDGe is running?

For Sashie: After you have exhausted all other options to fix your problem you may want to download the Dingo update file and try re-applying it. It's unlikely this will fix your problem but it is worth a try before moving on to other options discussed below. Plus, if it works all of your personal data should remain.

Here is a download link for this update: http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourag...Pocket%20eDge/

You will see a file called update.zip, download it.

Follow the PDF procedure attached to this post exactly ignoring only step # 1.

Notes for step # 2: Copy this file in the root directory of a USB drive or SD card (NOT in a folder). Since this file is already named update.zip there is no renaming required. It doesn't matter whether the USB /SD is formatted FAT, FAT 16, or FAT 32. Don't be overly concerned about this because every USB drive or SD card comes formatted FAT, most newer ones FAT32.

If you run into problems please check out post #215 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...132878&page=15

If you scroll down to about half way in the post you will see links to various threads in which other eDGe owners experienced problems running an update. Don't give up right away if the update fails on the first try.

If you can't get the update to take or it doesn't fix your problem, you can try installing the Full Dingo Operating System instead. Checkout my Resource Sticky for the instructions and download link for the Full Dingo Operating System. A word of Caution: Make sure you download the CORRECT file for the PE. Unfortunately, this procedure will wipe your eDGe clean by reformatting and installing the entire Dingo Operating System. You could try hooking up your eDGe to a PC before doing this and see what happens. You never know it may popup as a drive under Windows Explorer and you may be able to save some personal data by copying it to the PC. I can't say for sure. Again, don't give up right away if the update fails on the first try.

OR

If you run into problems and it just seems like the Golden Dingo update is not starting after reasonable effort, check this thread out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=edge+update

Pay particular attention to posts # 1 and # 2, especially step 4 in post # 1. Download the PE file (make sure you download the right one) linked to in post # 2 and try it again. I suggest you read the entire thread. It's only two pages long. Several owners were able to recover their device using darkgue's solution along with emusan's modified Golden Dingo file.

OR

If this fails another option is to follow the directions in post # 11 of this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=dots.

This owner was having a similar problem. Also, check post # 15 where another owner was able to recover their Pocket eDGe using the same procedure. Unfortunately, this procedure will also result in the loss of all personal data.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HowTo Do An Offline Software Update.pdf (26.3 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-28-2012 at 02:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Nano's got a Pocket, not the big edge
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Nano's got a Pocket, not the big edge

Thanks. I didn't want to assume this so this advice may help him or her as well.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-28-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry Obs, I didnt want to sound rude, it was just an extra information since he reports "edge" in his signature. I didnt add anything to your post because your intervention had enough info already.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry Obs, I didnt want to sound rude, it was just an extra information since he reports "edge" in his signature. I didnt add anything to your post because your intervention had enough info already.
I didn't take your comments as being rude. On the contrary. Like you said since he reports his device as Edge this could have been either the EE or PE and I didn't want to point him in the wrong direction. It was exactly the information I needed.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Nano spettinato

obsessed2

Thanck's

I try it tonight.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Shashie

Thank you for all of your replies. I will try the proposed fixes. I am hoping that I will not lose personal data as my text books and calendar are on my pocket edge, but at this point I have no access to this info anyway.

I am so impressed with the caring attitude of this community! Thank you again and I will let you know how it goes.

Shashie
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Shashie

Thank you for the encouragement. I could really use it. I am going to try the fixes suggested by other members of the forum. I won't give up the "ship". Shashie
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Nano spettinato

It's all right!!!!

Thank you very much.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano spettinato View Post
It's all right!!!!

Thank you very much.

I'm happy you were able to get it fixed ! What procedure helped you recover your eDGe?

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-29-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
lorenzoens
ex se ens

The standard one
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
The standard one

Just the update or a complete Dingo OS install?