Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Ubuntu, or Mint, is only about 1000x better than Android....Android is GREAT for what it is, but neither it nor Iphone is going to stand up well against a real desktop OS like Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

There are some great lightweight distros that could run on an ARM processor. Ubuntu already supports the ARM architecture and has been installed on other E-readers. You could simply port the e-ink technology from other Linux e-readers like the Iliad. Ubuntu 10.10 (and Mint as a derivative) now have multi-touch support built in for Wacom touch screens!

Ubuntu even has a version for mobile tablets now, as of 10.10

I dont even care about the dual boot anymore. How about ditching Android and going Ubuntu?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarkitos2004 View Post
I want dual-boot with Ubuntu too! and Openoffice! and connect my edge with a wall-projector and other devices (external Harddisk, scanner, printer, tv card...) ... and i want mouse-pointer... and to open more formats in the e-ink side (MSWord, fictionbook, html, txt, drm, mobipocket, lit...) an a better zoom-tool...
please you make it, i need it. thank you

I would like to try. As long as I could reinstall Android if it fails I would like to give installing Linux on this things a shot.

Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
Melkor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Djinn View Post
Ubuntu even has a version for mobile tablets now, as of 10.10

I dont even care about the dual boot anymore. How about ditching Android and going Ubuntu?
Well... What do you want me to say... We all wanted a dual boot, because Android cannot do a lot of things, and other OSes couldn't handle what EE has to offer. When there is a Linux which can handle both ARM & e-ink... Then I am all for Ubuntu. It looks nice. It works nice. I has nice apps. It seems to be able to work with EE. Nice.

And it does what a lot of academics wanted from EE: proper Office Suite and projectors. (I know Android does that but it is not as good as in Ubuntu.)

Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
supermarkitos2004
Edge User

Robot successfully installed debian with android chroot! So, it's possible

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarkitos2004 View Post
Robot successfully installed debian with android chroot! So, it's possible
Where is this guy? I want to talk to him. He needs to post a tutorial.

Debian is a more difficult install, usually, but I would accept Debian or Ubuntu or even one of the more esoteric versions like Slackware or a light version like Puppy....just get me a GNU version of Linux on my edge and I will be thrilled.....it could compete with netbooks at that point.

Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
Well... What do you want me to say... We all wanted a dual boot, because Android cannot do a lot of things, and other OSes couldn't handle what EE has to offer. When there is a Linux which can handle both ARM & e-ink... Then I am all for Ubuntu. It looks nice. It works nice. I has nice apps. It seems to be able to work with EE. Nice.

And it does what a lot of academics wanted from EE: proper Office Suite and projectors. (I know Android does that but it is not as good as in Ubuntu.)

Next month or so, before the end of this year, we will have multi-touch support. I believe we already have arm support. E-ink could be ported from the Iliad or any number of other linux e-readers.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Djinn View Post
Where is this guy? I want to talk to him. He needs to post a tutorial.
Here's his post regarding Debian: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ull=1#post7898. You can click his member name to PM him.