Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Why did my Kindle reboot itself?

All of the sudden, when typing a location to jump to, my Kindle Paperwhite briefly frozen before it rebooted itself. Has anyone seen this before? I have the latest firmware version 5.3.1
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These things can happen occasionally. All readers have bugs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
All of the sudden, when typing a location to jump to, my Kindle Paperwhite briefly frozen before it rebooted itself. Has anyone seen this before? I have the latest firmware version 5.3.1
Yep it happen to me the other day when I went to change the light settings. It freaked me out as I never had a Kindle auto reboot before just freeze.

I have since then learn the PW answer to anything it can't handle is a auto reboot so I no longer freak out anymore.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep it happen to me the other day when I went to change the light settings. It freaked me out as I never had a Kindle auto reboot before just freeze.

I have since then learn the PW answer to anything it can't handle is a auto reboot so I no longer freak out anymore.
Kindle OS is based on Linux. I thought Linux is much more robust and stable than Microsoft Windows.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Kindle OS is based on Linux. I thought Linux is much more robust and stable than Microsoft Windows.
The hardware's OS is based on Linux. The Kindle framework and front-end is all Java.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
After an update, Kindle will usually re-index all of the content. this takes system resources, and performance will be sluggish, and it is more vulnerable to runtime errors that cause rebooting. I've also seen situations where it seemed that there was a memory or resource leak resulting from running certain Active Content apps. And rebooting problems seem to be more common when a new device is shipped. Those are usually addressed in subsequent updates.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
After an update, Kindle will usually re-index all of the content. this takes system resources, and performance will be sluggish, and it is more vulnerable to runtime errors that cause rebooting. I've also seen situations where it seemed that there was a memory or resource leak resulting from running certain Active Content apps. And rebooting problems seem to be more common when a new device is shipped. Those are usually addressed in subsequent updates.
My Kindle came with the latest firmware. It has 6 books on it and no active content. It just auto rebooted when I went to change the light settings. Hasn't done it again since the first time but others have mention auto rebooting so I know I'm not aone. I think it's the firmware's way of dealing with problems. Never had this issue on any other Kindle.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Kindle framework and front-end is all Java.

Oh dear.

Homeland Security says Java bad. Hide your Kindles!
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Oh dear.

Homeland Security says Java bad. Hide your Kindles!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I thought Linux is much more robust and stable than Microsoft Windows.
This sounds like a fanboy-type statement.

It all depends which Windows you have, which Linux you have, and what you are doing. And since it's almost impossible to keep all variables constant, it comes down to a gut impression.

My gut impression is that Linux used to be more stable but Windows has roughly drawn even.

I once had a GPS based on Windows Mobile. I'd think that the Kindle could have been based on on a Windows family OS, and it wouldn't have made much difference to us.

My Kindle Keyboard does sometimes reboot itself. Maybe once a week it will do that, or freeze.

I remember reading, decades ago, that the Mac was so good, you only had to reboot once a day. Standards have risen, but eReaders are still computers on the inside, and still have bugs.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I've not dug deeply into the Kindle OS, but it's my understanding that all programs are running as the root user, which means that they have a little more ability to trash things, though spontaneous reboots are usually not caused by problems in programs running in user-space, even as root. More likely there are bugs in the display driver or input driver that run in a ring closer to the kernel than user-space programs, with fewer protections. It's also entirely possible [though complete speculation] that Amazon has modified the kernel itself and runs Kindle specific things in ring 0 which is basically completely unprotected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(computer_security)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Mine has froze twice on me now. Few days ago (after I paid to remove ads) I opened my KFHD cover and it was stuck on a screensaver, I opened and closed the cover again and again. Touched with finger and nothing. So I had to hard reset and it took many tries to finally get it going again.

The first time I think it froze up because I kept hitting page turns and it wasn't responding. Think they may need an update
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The *base* OS of the Kindle Paperwhite is Linux, and (unsurprisingly) it's rock stable.

But on top of that runs a wild conglomerate of native applications, Java, HTML5/Javascript, and LUA. And all of these run as root. Something in there seems to cause memory leaks, so it's almost certain that your device will reboot by itself sooner or later. I've also seen the JVM (and the webreader application) crash because of ill-formatted books. Whenever something goes wrong and the device notices it, it either restarts the framework, or plain reboots.

The problem is NOT with the OS, but with the applications. And the solution which Amazon chose is to restart the device.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Ixtab, I can confirm the memory leaks. Every single time mine crashed and rebooted it was complaining about memory in the log. What is using 70 or 80 mb before it goes south? Is that the jvm?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The hardware's OS is based on Linux. The Kindle framework and front-end is all Java.
JavaSCRIPT. Very, very different to Java .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote