Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Notion Ink Update...

http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...cenes-0997060/

And they've got a new front-end for their website...

I'm hopeful that this device will pan out, but my optimism is starting to wain a bit. BUT...they do mention that prices will be lower...

In the Engadget post (http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/10/n...-are-to-blame/) that led me to the original slashgear one, they also had this info:

Quote:
Update 2: Here's Shravan's official statement...
"We will have the device before the year ends. It will be introduced at a major event after which you can order it online. It has to be placed strategically, as this is our maiden effort. Whatever has happened cannot be changed, but with the support we are getting from all, we might just become a part of the history. Also on the pricing, all the 3 devices will be lower than even the basic model of iPad."

The pricing bit has me hopeful.

Really, though, I'd like an 'open', 1280x960 (or thereabouts) resolution Pixel Qi screen device...a screen size of 6"x8" would suit me (and that resolution) fine...if they can give me a battery that (with the back-light turned off) can give me 20 hours of life (after the battery has been seen some use), I'll be very happy

Last edited by guyanonymous; 08-10-2010 at 02:06 PM.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The Slashgear article was very interesting to read.

The so called professional investors seems very strange, not just that they're secret but the fact that it looks like they're holding back the release. Is this so wise with a lot of new tablets coming to the market during the next couple of months?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
IOW... vaporware.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
The article on slashgear mentions an upcoming second part to the coverage that sounds like it will include, at least some, spec info and, more importantly, some release date info. I'm still very interested in the Adam, although at this point they'll be releasing it with the rest of the herd so there'll be a lot more comparison shopping going on.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
The article on slashgear mentions an upcoming second part to the coverage that sounds like it will include, at least some, spec info and, more importantly, some release date info. I'm still very interested in the Adam, although at this point they'll be releasing it with the rest of the herd so there'll be a lot more comparison shopping going on.
If they had release dates, they'd already be announcing them. The only reason for saying they'll be included in the second part is as a teaser to try and get more people to visit the site.

The only thing they're really doing is announcing the date of when they'll be announcing the release dates. We've seen that game played before.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The only thing they're really doing is announcing the date of when they'll be announcing the release dates. We've seen that game played before.
I'm pretty sure you're right, especially since the second article hasn't been released yet, nor is there a date for it either. So we're waiting on the date for the article which will give us the date that the release dates will be announced
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
And, speaking of WeTab ....

The list if MIA tablets and ereaders is, in apple-speak, "insanely great". Just not in a nice way.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
And, speaking of WeTab ....

The list if MIA tablets and ereaders is, in apple-speak, "insanely great". Just not in a nice way.
Nice for apple though... they have to be loving every delay announced by all the late comers.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
I have a feeling that next January's CES will have bunch of companies touting their next generation of unreleased or limited released tablets.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'm pretty sure you're right, especially since the second article hasn't been released yet, nor is there a date for it either. So we're waiting on the date for the article which will give us the date that the release dates will be announced
Yep.... and each time they get their name mentioned in the press, which was probably the whole point to begin with.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I've been waiting for one of these for ages. Since then I bought the nook and joined here. I doubt a Notion Ink tablet would replace the nook for dedicated reading, nor would it replace my convertible Touchsmart TM2 laptop, but I'm still excited about the screen tech.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The second article in this series is out:
http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...-more-1297402/

It looks like they are aiming for a November-January release all given the time FCC will take to approve the device.

If we're looking at a January release I will be really frustrated and probably seek out alternative products.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- If they submit to FCC in November it won't ship til march.
2- I wonder if those folks are aware that the last product named Adam had a 99% failure rate? Only the Apple III did worse at 100%.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- If they submit to FCC in November it won't ship til march.
2- I wonder if those folks are aware that the last product named Adam had a 99% failure rate? Only the Apple III did worse at 100%.
My old Adam computer still works (or, at least, it did the last time I pulled it out of my Mom's junk closet a few years back)!
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
My old Adam computer still works (or, at least, it did the last time I pulled it out of my Mom's junk closet a few years back)!
The folks at the Boston Computer Museum may want to talk to you; they're trying to find the one launch ADAM that didn't break.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote