Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
have there been no compliments?
You have a point. I have indeed read some superbly formatted ebooks.

On the other hand I was under the impression that that's what I paid for. I will try to be more gracious.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
In the case of the book WillAdams mentioned, the writer has been dead for years!

Xenophon
Then there is no point even writing them down, because his surviving relatives will be using him like a cash cow just like the publishers are.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I emailed my concerns to to all of the Agency 5 that I could reach. Not a single reply from any of them.

I will be glad when they are gone and we can move on.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
mknopp
mknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Yeah, the publishers are listening.

But, the only thing that will make them change is a change in the bottom line, for the worst.

From what I understand of what a publisher does, I see little need for the old guard of the publishers any more.

With the internet and companies like Amazon and Apple and Lulu allowing for easy distribution what exactly do publishing companies do for authors now?

I have heard from more than a few authors about how non-existent the so called promotion is. Yeah, there are promotions for the biggest authors, but not much for lesser knowns. Seriously, has anyone seen any ads or promotion for Tom Kratman?

As for editors, there are freelance editors and even companies offering editing services to authors in specific genres.

Artist aren't that hard to find. Go to Deviantart and browse until you find an artist whose work you like and then pay them a commission for a piece of cover art. That is assuming you don't live anywhere close to a university with an art program and a bunch of starving art students who would love to do some work.

So, what do publishers do for authors now-a-days, that a little leg work on an author's part can't also do, and put a lot more money in the author's pocket? Is it all about the up front cost? It cost money to pay an editor; it cost money to pay an artist. Do so many authors not have that sort of money that they have to sell the rights to their labor to a publisher to see it available to customers?

I am honestly asking by the way.
mknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #20
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If they're listening, then why can't I get someone to accept the file listing all of the errors which I found in Tor Books' ebook edition of _Space Cadet_?
get a refund as it is clearly a defective product, better yet find a class action/product liability attorney with nothing better to do and go after the publisher for knowingly selling a defective product...see, as ebooks are not sold with the same rules as print editions then no quarter should be given for selling faulty software/digital products. That is the model they wanted, right?

half-joking by extending it to the logical-absurdity of the entire ebook situation as it exists thanks to the way things are done today.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Then there is no point even writing them down, because his surviving relatives will be using him like a cash cow just like the publishers are.
He had no children, the overly long copyrights are owned by the Robert A. and Virginia Heinlein Prize Trust http://www.heinleinprize.com/index.htm

Quote:
The Heinlein Prize is worldwide.

The Prize honors the memory of Robert A. Heinlein, a renowned American author. Both Robert and his wife Virginia were strong advocates of human advancement into space through commercial endeavors. The purpose of the Heinlein Prize is to encourage and reward progress in commercial space activities that advances their dream of humanity's future in space.

The Heinlein Prize Trust will present a substantial award to the individual or individuals who achieve practical accomplishments in the field of commercial space activities.

Winners will receive a medallion, a diploma and a monetary award. The first Heinlein Prize award has been set by the Trustees at $500,000.

The Trust has three Trustees: Art Dula, Buckner Hightower and James M. Vaughn.
Art Dula, Buckner Hightower and James M. Vaughn are the ones milking the Heinlein cash cow though at least its for a cause and not to make sure great-grandchildren can afford sports cars.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post
So, what do publishers do for authors now-a-days, that a little leg work on an author's part can't also do, and put a lot more money in the author's pocket? Is it all about the up front cost? It cost money to pay an editor; it cost money to pay an artist. Do so many authors not have that sort of money that they have to sell the rights to their labor to a publisher to see it available to customers?

I am honestly asking by the way.
I'd say yes.
It costs money to finance a print run, it takes contacts to get the books into retail outlets. Yes authors can self-publish in electronic form for very little outlay, but also for a much smaller audience than print books get.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know if this is a case of a publisher listening or just making a new kind of decision, but St. Martin's Press has turned down Janet Evanovich's request for $50 for her next four Stephanie Plum books. I think it's a sign that SMP is recognizing that readers will go elsewhere if they keep charging more for the same books. Which they would have to do to earn out that advance.

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I don't know if this is a case of a publisher listening or just making a new kind of decision, but St. Martin's Press has turned down Janet Evanovich's request for $50 for her next four Stephanie Plum books. I think it's a sign that SMP is recognizing that readers will go elsewhere if they keep charging more for the same books. Which they would have to do to earn out that advance.

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.
L.J.
Is that $50,000?

It will be interesting to watch no matter what the figure. Evanovich hasn't made a penny from me in years because I don't/can't pay that for books that give me an enjoyable 1/2 day of reading. It has to be several days of reading and worth a reread or two for me to put down serious money (serious book money, I mean. They're all cheap compared to my mortgage.) Libraries and used books are my sources for her work.

Last edited by BexBits; 07-16-2010 at 11:13 AM.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
Is that $50,000?
Try 50 million (12.5 million per book for the next four Plum books).

She got 10 million a book (advance) in her last deal.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Duh. I should never post before that second cup of coffee. That's what I meant.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If publishers were listening, then we would never have eBook sourced from PDF. We we would have well formatted ePub. We would have reasonable prices. We would have greater accessibility to purchase eBooks in all the available formats. We would have a place to post comments if we find something wrong with a given eBook so it can be fixed.

We have none of this because overall they don't listen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Is that don't listen , or

don't want to listen ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #29
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Is that don't listen , or

don't want to listen ?
yes...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #30
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

WOAH!

That is one heck of an advance. Who the heck is Janet Evanovich and why is she getting such obscene sums? Perhaps I'm an ignoramus, but I've never even heard of her.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote