Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
manda243
manda243 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kindle books on the Kobo

My husband has a Kindle2 and I am constantly defending my poor Kobo as it stands up to verbal abuse from the Kindle fans in my house. Has anyone tried to sync Kindle books with the Kobo? That would greatly help my cause to have my Kobo be accepted and appreciated in my house.
manda243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Possible but not trivial. You'll have to break the .azw DRM and convert to .mobi format, then you can use Calibre to convert to .epub. Google MobileDeDRM if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Kindle books will not work on the Kobo as is. However, it can be done. You will need to:

1. Strip the pesky DRM from the Kindle files. You can find many sites that explain how this is done by doing a google search.
2. Convert the unencumbered books to .epub which will work on the Kobo. There is a program called Calibre that works very well for this.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The easiest way now is to download to Kindle for PC and use unswindle.pyw (v7) to produce a DRM-free MOBI. Then convert to ePub for the Kobo using Calibre.

I almost exclusively read ebooks in the ePub format, but I buy most of my ebooks from Amazon because of price and availability. Converting from AZW to ePub is easy once you get the hang of it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Seriously I wish my husband DIDN'T have such a high opinion of my Kobo.
He loves it just as much as me and my desperate cries of "But it's mine - it was my birthday present!" are answered with "But we need to set an example for the kids - you have to share!"
We've just won an iPad which I hope will take the pressure off...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
manda243
manda243 began at the beginning.

Thank you for the help. I too have found books cheaper on Amazon.com and with the currency conversion, it;s working out in my favor right now. I already use Calibre so hopefully i can figure out how to get rid of DRM's. Thanks everyone!!!
manda243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Possible but not trivial. You'll have to break the .azw DRM and convert to .mobi format, then you can use Calibre to convert to .epub. Google MobileDeDRM if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
Actually, it is trivial. Trivial if you know what to do. You need to get Kindle4PC and unswindle version 7 that works with the 06/29/2010 version of Kindle4PC. You also will need MobiDeDRM version 0.16. Then once the DRM is stripped, use Calibre to convert to ePub.

Not hard and won't take long.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda243 View Post
Has anyone tried to sync Kindle books with the Kobo? That would greatly help my cause to have my Kobo be accepted and appreciated in my house.
Actually, what you are asking is not possible. Stripping DRM doesn't make any difference. That will allow you to share the same books, however.

You cannot sync Kindle books with Kobo or vice versa. Bookmarks, for one thing, would be lost. The great value of syncing is to be able to move from e-reader to computer to mobile phone and stay in sync. You can do that on the Kindle platform and its automatic via 3G wireless; I believe you can do some of that with Kobo (Blackberry to Kobo via Bluetooth).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Actually, what you are asking is not possible. Stripping DRM doesn't make any difference. That will allow you to share the same books, however.
It's very possible as many do it. Once the DRM is stripped, you're left with a .mobi book format. There are several tools that can convert .mobi to .epub which is supported on the kobo.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not possible to sync an eBook on the Kobo with an eBook on a Kindle.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
3d0g
I make fjords.

Methinks you all need to come to a common definition of "sync" with the OP.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

if the OP means to have a the same book on the Kobo as on the Kindle and to sync them like you can with say two Kindles (tied to one account), then the answer is no, not possible.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if the OP means to have a the same book on the Kobo as on the Kindle and to sync them like you can with say two Kindles (tied to one account), then the answer is no, not possible.
But being this is the kobo forum where "sync" has an entirely different meaning, yes it is possible with some effort to convert kindle format books to EPUB and "sync" them to your kobo.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
amyriddle
amyriddle began at the beginning.

Device: LITERATI
i have actually put a book from a kindle onto my literati kobo reader. i was emailed the book I put it into adobe digital editions as an epub then dragged and dropped it to my literati. then hooked up the literati and synced to my computer. Problem is, I cannot send the books from Kobo that I bought to my friend who has the Kindle, we only want to share but her kindle tells her the liscense for the book belongs to me, so what to do? Any ideas?
amyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
The Kindle book you put on your device likely wasn't DRM enabled. The one you sent your friend likely had DRM enabled. You can't share DRM enabled books.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2