Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Zorba
50 Benefits of Ebooks
Zorba began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Reference Guide: How to Prepare Images for EPUB (and other) Formats

Hello and thanks in advance,

I'm looking for some expert help on the subject of how to prepare images for ebooks, for the essential ebook formats, reading systems and devices. I thought that I could capture two pigeons with one bean if I not only gathered this information, but shared it with the epublishing community.

Please take a glance at this web page -- down on the bottom half of the page -- and you'll see the beginnings of some tables where much information is needed.

http://www.zorba.us/?page_id=676

The goal is to provide a quick and handy kind of "cheat sheet" for anyone making ebooks in some of the major formats: EPUB, PDF, Kindle.

Help with this project would be much appreciated, either by answers here, or contacting me directly. When this project is complete, or nearer to completion, I will post back to this thread.

Also, if someone at MobileRead would like to take charge of this project, and post this information on a MobileRead wiki page, I am happy to pass the torch.

Thanks again,

Michael Pastore
50 Benefits of Ebooks
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Some of the information can be extracted from our wiki. For example, the image formats supported by each device are listed in the E-Book reader matrix:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One bit of information is don't make the images any larger than 800x600 and make sure that they scale properly to fit the page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Zorba
50 Benefits of Ebooks

Patricia, thank you. I'll visit that matrix and then add some image types.

JSWolf, thank you. Is that:

800 (width) by 600 (height),

or

800 (height) by 600 (width).

--MP
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is 800 pixels in height, and 600 in width.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Zorba
50 Benefits of Ebooks

Thanks again, Patricia.

I am writing to all the device makers, to get details -- about optimizing the images -- for viewing ebooks (in EPUB and PDF) on their devices.

I will report back here, to this thread, when some progress has been made.

-- MP
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One bit of information is don't make the images any larger than 800x600 and make sure that they scale properly to fit the page.
How do you make sure they scale properly, short of using vector graphics? Isn't that up to the device?
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Zorba
50 Benefits of Ebooks

Hello Rayven01,

Until a graphics expert jumps in here, here is my guess.

I think that JSWof's good advice (which I will add to this project's web page) has something to do with the aspect ratio. I couldn't get an EPUB ebook cover image to show up using Stanza desktop, and then I adjusted the aspect ratio, making the image less wide, and then it appeared perfectly.

A test is always needed to see if the image shows up, if the image is still sharp, if it's in the right location, and so on.

--MP
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
How do you make sure they scale properly, short of using vector graphics? Isn't that up to the device?
In ePub you can embed any image in an SVG wrapper, which can make it scale to fit the available space.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In ePub you can embed any image in an SVG wrapper, which can make it scale to fit the available space.
I'm not sure current renderers treat relative height specifications (e.g., 100%) as related to the screen size, though
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
is it necessary to create a grayscale version of the image for e-ink devices?
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
is it necessary to create a grayscale version of the image for e-ink devices?
Not necesarily, hapax. I often leave my images in colour, just in case someone is reading on a PC or tablet. My Sony just shows greyscale in these cases.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Zorba
50 Benefits of Ebooks

Thanks, hapax, for the question, and thanks Patricia, for the reply.

This is one of the main points of my information-gathering project: to find "the right specs" so that ebook publishers can produce one -- only one ! -- version of the ebook that fit all the various reading systems (or: all the significant ones), and to avoid the trouble and chaos of needing to produce many different versions of the same ebook.

Michael Pastore
50 Benefits of Ebooks
Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Here's another relevant document by keith fahlgren
http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-cover-images/
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote