Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Amazon Tags - Popular tags vs Unique tags.

I've been reading a lot about the importance of tags and as we're about to begin a huge push for the "official" release of my wife's book I'm curious about their use.

Specifically, I wonder if it's better to use common tags that are likely to be searched but are also flooded with more competition (ie "fantasy") or if more specific tags with smaller competitive numbers but also a smaller chance of being searched (ie "female adventurer") would result in a better overall gain/exposure.

Those of you currently using tags have any thoughts/experiences?

Basically I want to use the tagging-thread-fairy to our best advantage.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You get seven total at Amazon, right?

I find I can usually come up with 3-5 solid tags pretty easily, so you could cover the common ones and use the rest to be more specific/unusual.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are tags, categories, and keywords. Which exactly are we talking about?

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was talking about the tags used in the author tag exchange thread.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
HighRoadToTibet
John Dwyer
HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tags are used to inform the reader about your book. For example, my travel book High Road To Tibet, I used tags such as "china travel", "travel adventure" and "great wall". These tags help your books visibility in searches. Readers can also add their own tags to describe the book.
HighRoadToTibet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
You get seven total at Amazon, right?

I find I can usually come up with 3-5 solid tags pretty easily, so you could cover the common ones and use the rest to be more specific/unusual.
I just looked and I have 14 on my first book presently. I personally would put BOTH a few very common ones, and a few very specific ones. That way you get exposure in both groups.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
dtracy4
dtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-booksdtracy4 has learned how to read e-books

I try to mix them up between 2- and 3-word tags.

I would not go for 1-word, genre-like tags. If you do have 1-word tags, they should be very specific keywords, e.g. cardiology, Paris.
dtracy4 is offline   Reply With Quote